• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D41P-6 Good or Bad

GOOG

I'm thinking of buying a 1998 D41P. The little I ran it, it seems like a stable grading platform. I have had a lot of D3C LGP's, and am looking for something bigger but still for fine grading. Anybody have an opinion on this move?

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
We own one and have had positive experiences with it. I’m not a huge fan of the gear selection method of twisting your wrist to change gears but other than that it’s a good machine. It,lol keep up fine with knocking down piles brought to it by a few tandems or two, maybe 3, off road trucks depending on the haul distance. The blade setup is a little strange where it only has the two cylinders for tilt and sweep. So the geometry makes it a little funny when you’re making fine tune adjustments while fine grading. Parts are still around but like other machines Komatsu seems to start falling off on parts for most things pre 2000. But you can still get them usually.

I actually like the machine though. Tough and pretty simple. Cannot ask for much more than that in a dozer

GOOG

It doesn't have a torque convertor and it has a de-clutch pedal, am I to conclude that I need to use clutch on direction changes?

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
It doesn't have a torque convertor and it has a de-clutch pedal, am I to conclude that I need to use clutch on direction changes?
No, not necessarily. If I can use the decelerator to come to a near complete stop and am on generally flat ground i shift directions without it. If I am on a slope then I use the inching pedal, at least that’s what the operator manual calls it, like the clutch that it is to better control the machine when changing directions without slamming to much power input through the transmission and gear housing.

Shimmy1

I'm thinking of buying a 1998 D41P. The little I ran it, it seems like a stable grading platform. I have had a lot of D3C LGP's, and am looking for something bigger but still for fine grading. Anybody have an opinion on this move?

Only thing I know that is undesirable with a 41 is the solid track frames. Some operators don't care at all, some refuse to run one.

GOOG

I am not familiar with the "suspension" on dozers, but I thought they all had solid frames except the D7-D8 class machines. I had a D6D LGP, but otherwise I a D3 guy. Should I be concerned about a solid track frame arrangement?

Welder Dave

In a smaller dozer it's not a big problem. It would be similar to a D3 but I think a little bigger.

Welder Dave

I was comparing to a D3 but wasn't sure how much bigger it was. Are the low track D4's and D5's solid?

tctractors

I am fairly sure that the D41A to P and up including the D61's 65's 85's 155's and higher all have swinging track frames with a pinned bar, the d31 had a bolted hard frame.

Shimmy1

I am fairly sure that the D41A to P and up including the D61's 65's 85's 155's and higher all have swinging track frames with a pinned bar, the d31 had a bolted hard frame.

One of my competitors had a D41P that sold on auction this spring. It had solid track frames. I feel it was a part in Komatsu discontinuing that particular model.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
I tell you what, I’ll crawl under our machine and just see what she’s got and get back to you. Hell, I’m starting to wonder now.