• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu D21p-8

Legdoc

I got a chance to take a look at a D21 last week. It was at a dealer that sent it out on rental. The little beast was quiet, very responsive and the two speed tranny worked smooth. It came back from a 40hr rental from hell. The idiots either had no clue how to run it or simply did not care. They managed to bend the blade, bend the guard for the angle adjustment, ran into something bending the nose which broke the grill, broke the radiator, bent the hood and the exhaust stack. They managed to back into something breaking the back up light and bent the sheet metal behind the seat. The machine had 40hrs TOTAL time. The machine would plobably be a little small for my needs but would work. I would put a cab enclosure on it with A/C. The machine could be hauled without a CDL but a JD450/550 would be nice. Any comments?

R Leo

... had no clue how to run it or simply did not care.
On a rental, probably a little bit of both.

Brush removal is hard on my machine no matter how careful I try to be. I managed to bend that angled cover over the brake adjustments that are below the back of the cab backing into a cedar trunk. I've cleaned off a set of fan blades too...at least you know when that had happened.

Legdoc

About $60,000.00 with OROPS and grousers. Thats alot for a 10,000# machine but there is no competing model.

R Leo

60k bucks? OMG!

You can buy and run a lot of used -6 and -7's for that kind of money.

FWIW, I go through phases of being able to shift my '20 for hours without grinding a gear. Other times, I wish I had a -21 I grind so badly...

Legdoc

Leo, you would not believe how smooth thay 21 was. I think I will continue the search for that "rare unmolested" low hour 21p. As a former Cat mechanic I certainly realize you can pay up front for a good machine, or pay as much or more for junk that always needs work. Although this for the most part will be used at the ranch time is still money.

R Leo

I've always claimed that all things are a compromise.

I don't know how I could make a 60K$ machine pay for its self...I can however, make a 13k$ machine pay for its self and make me a dollar or two if I'm willing to turn a wrench on it every once in a while. Thus, the compromise.

That said, knowing what I know now, I'd have bought a '21.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
The machine could be hauled without a CDL but a JD450/550 would be nice. Any comments?

I assume you already know this but.......
It would only be legal to haul without a CDL on a flatbed truck. If your pulling 10,000 or more you need a CDL.(machine weight + trailer weight)

R Leo

I assume you already know this but.......
It would only be legal to haul without a CDL on a flatbed truck. If your pulling 10,000 or more you need a CDL.(machine weight + trailer weight)

Not in Texas. If the GVW is under 26,001 lbs, and you aren't carrying passengers or hazardous materials, no CDL is required.

chessiegp39

I have a 21 in my fleet. An older one that I didn't pay much for. For what I do sometimes I can't beat it as a D3 or equal, would be too big. A very nice small machine and for the money, around $12,000.00, it is just fine. I wouldn't pay $60K for one though. Would never get the money out of it. Try and fine a good used one for around $20K and you will be just fine. They are out there too, just have to look.

Legdoc

Thank you for the encouragement! I have been looking at Trader online daily but have not seen anything that stands out. It's a little frustrating.

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Try for a D21P-7

I have had my D21P-7 with joystick controls for nine months now and have put a little over 200 hours on it. I would highly recommend this unit. It had about 2500 hours on it when I bought it. DO NOT buy a new one because of the cost, but know what you are looking for when you get a used one. Forget the D20. All the shifting will double operating time. Lots of Luck. Just keep looking.

John White

I would never buy a new one for that price. Let some one else pay the deprication. I bought a 1998 Mitsbushi, with power shift, 700 hrs, for $16000 I love it. I dont like the parts situation though. A Komatsu would be alot eaiser to have serviced and parts. I had 3 other US made 350 styld dozers. and this beats them. I've seen a few of the Komatsu on E-bay for around $17Though its now spring and nay become sscarce. As long as you stay with small jobs, these dozers are great.

oldhousehugger

For used directly imported gray market stuff from Japan try www.holedigger.net also known as K-Too Equipment in Sulphur Springs TX. I got my D20 from him last year and for the most part he didn't tell me anything which turned out to be false. Horse trading is still legal in them thar hills. My shortcomings of ignorance and naiveté are to blame for problems which cropped up later and which I have mostly fixed. My advice when buying any piece of equipment is go over it with a fine tooth comb before you buy When they say, “as-is”, they mean, “as soon as”, it rolls off the lot, “is”, yours. If the price is to good to be true then it’s gonna cost you that much more later. But boy have I had a steep and valuable learning curve.
Not that I haven’t used the hell out of it and enjoyed most of the up time. The down time like changing all the rollers and putting the track back on several times in the rain are not my favorite memories. By the way you will need a heavy 22 millimeter socket and good breaker bar and cheater to play with the rollers and track frame.

Get an idea of what a new wide swamp track pad looks like before you inspect those on the used imports. Mine were almost worn completely worn thru on the crowns and I ended up welding ½ x 1 inch bar stock on to give it some scratch. Also the machine I bought had extensive rust damage to the track frames indicative of being used in a corrosive environment. Check that out by taking a good long screwdriver with you and dig around under the mud to see what’s really left of the frame.
All this being said the prices at K-Too will be in line with what’s out there and he also has tracked dumpers and excavators.
Good luck.

Last edited:

John White

Yes. Buyer beware. I looked two years before I found a decent one. Its a real gamble if buying one on E-bay without inspecting it first'. Most of them are pretty well rusted. I dont know if it is due to the enviorment their in or just cheap metal and paint. I know that the pins do not have very hard steel in them. I ran a file across it and it cut like soft metal, where the pin in my old AC was so hard a file would hardly scratch it. I still cant believe that an American mfg cant build a small one like the small Komatsu for $50,000. They sure import and sell alot of them and they say there is no market for them.

richard frank

Occupation
Retired
I have had my D21P-7 with joystick controls for nine months now and have put a little over 200 hours on it. I would highly recommend this unit. It had about 2500 hours on it when I bought it. DO NOT buy a new one because of the cost, but know what you are looking for when you get a used one. Forget the D20. All the shifting will double operating time. Lots of Luck. Just keep looking.

I want to buy a d21p with low hrs an steel grosered tracks/

DannyWilkins

I have a D20 its been the toughest piece i have owned yet... pretty strong for what it is i use it for skidding logs when i have a breakdown... i just do not have a dealer close so when it ever breakdowns between fuel and parts kinda makes it costly... other than parts being a lil high iwould suggest the little guy to everybody... does good for what it is