• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

komatsu D20 vs D21... which to avoid?

boomvan

Hello.. Im in the market for a small dozer... The only thing on the market here for under $40k are Komatsu D20A-7 and D21A-7s.

I'm looking at one of these two... But I'm undecided as to which one, hoping someone here would give me an idea about the real world differences...
The D20 is about 85% on the UC, the D21 is about 60% on the UC..

The D20A-7

The D21A-7

Are the D20's that much harder to operate?
Any comments are appreciated!

IdleUp

You'll want the D21 since it has the auto shift feature - I've owned mine for 12 years now and thinking of letting her go - I seldom use it any longer. if you're interested email me at: mail@rotory.com I'm close to Roanoke Va

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
They're pretty much the same machine except for the drive. The D20 is straight drive and the D21 is powershift. The choice is simply your preference. :)

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
You'll want the D21 since it has the auto shift feature
I tend to agree... a manual transmission (direct drive) on a dozer, becomes
an unpleasant method of changing speed and direction... in a very short time... :(

Of course, this is my opinion... :cool2

OCR... :)

hackalot

For Idle Up

You'll want the D21 since it has the auto shift feature - I've owned mine for 12 years now and thinking of letting her go - I seldom use it any longer. if you're interested email me at: mail@rotory.com I'm close to Roanoke Va

Tell me some more about your unit, looking for one to use in Alleghany County, NC.

Thanks

IdleUp

While either machine will work fine - the hydraulic power shift is the way to go. You sit on that machine for 6 -8 hours working a clutch and you'll go nuts. Another advantage is the hydraulic drive protects the gear train and mechanical components from the direct drive shock when you hit a rock or stump.

My machine is in perfect condition, it on my job now and you're welcome to come on over and try it out. The only thing that was wrong with it was the starter and I just replaced it with a new unit.

Attachments

• doz1.jpg
    doz1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 9,877
  • doz2.jpg
    doz2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 8,371
  • doz4.jpg
    doz4.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 9,865
Last edited:

mrjeep94

Hello.. Im in the market for a small dozer... The only thing on the market here for under $40k are Komatsu D20A-7 and D21A-7s.

I'm looking at one of these two... But I'm undecided as to which one, hoping someone here would give me an idea about the real world differences...
The D20 is about 85% on the UC, the D21 is about 60% on the UC..

The D20A-7

The D21A-7

Are the D20's that much harder to operate?
Any comments are appreciated!

I see you are looking at alaska excavators. That is where I purchased my 2004 D21A-8 with 220 hrs on it. I highly recommend them, great to deal with and very honest. Contact Lou. He has some really good deals right now. He had a 2002 D21A-7 with only 400 hrs on it for a really nice price.

I do recommend the D21. My dad has a manual shift, after a few hours your tired of shifting gears.

IdleUp

My machine is on a job at Smith Mountain Lake VA - give me a call and come try it out.

Mike

540-353-1965