• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Komatsu copy of Cat 977H

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Hi guys,
Quick question, will the bucket off a Komatsu copy of the Cat 977H fit on a 977H? I think the Komatsu model is D75 but not sure… a guy the next town over is parting one out and has a good bucket, I need one for one of my 977s so hoping they’re compatible without any major modification… I’m a 14 hour drive away from my 977s just now so I can’t go measure very easily… Thanks!

Attachments

• 6D211C15-9DD6-4EA8-AFF1-A93720FC9BDA.jpeg
    6D211C15-9DD6-4EA8-AFF1-A93720FC9BDA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • D296C0CE-A2E9-4170-B381-CFD0006F54E2.jpeg
    D296C0CE-A2E9-4170-B381-CFD0006F54E2.jpeg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 49

Welder Dave

Highly unlikely a Komatsu bucket would fit on a Cat without a lot of modifying. Seeing you're in Alberta, Arrow West Equipment in Acheson, just outside of Edmonton, has a 977H bucket that might bolt right up. It would depend on the serial number but you might get lucky and it's not very far away. What's wrong with your bucket? It looks like it might only need a new cutting edge and/or teeth. I think they also have a 977K bucket.

Arrow-West Equipment, LTD. (arrowwest.com)

Last edited:

spitzair

The bucket I have for one of my machines is off an old Allis Chalmers and would take major work to make it fit, plus it’s in really poor shape. I talked to Arrow-West but their bucket is out of my price range, the one on the Komatsu in the pictures above is in pretty good shape and the price is reasonable too…

Welder Dave

How much will it cost to modify? What did Arrow West want for the bucket? I wouldn't think there's a lot of interest in a 977H bucket. Maybe make them an offer.

spitzair

They wanted $3500 for it… as for cost it would take some steel, machining the pin bosses, welding it all together and then line boring to make it all straight and true… probably 2-3k is my guesstimate… I could just do a quick hack job for a lot less…
You might be on to something though about making an offer, that price quote was several years ago now…

Welder Dave

I would think a loader bucket for a 60's machine should be under $2000 and that's one in really good condition. It's certainly not worth $3500 for scrap. If they put it in an auction they'd be lucky to get $300 for it. If you built your own ears you wouldn't have to line bore them. Just need 2 long tight fitting pins to hold everything in alignment and tack some braces on to hold things. If anything put a little more welding on the insides of the ears to slightly pull them in. Then weld the outside. If they don't pull straight enough, you can put a hyd. jack between them to get them straight and maybe a little more weld to help pull them. With bracing and the pins they should be pretty close if welding is done equally on each side.