• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Koehring Excavators

Koehringman

466e

That one looks GREAT! $10-5. pretty good deal to me. This one has the hydraulic over {CAT} controls. Koehring was trying to stay ahead of the yellow competition back then. I ran a 235 for a while, I appreciated the hydraulic valve piloting. Worked great on the coldest December day.
I'd say this machine is around '80-82 vintage. The early "E" Koehrings had the air system & the thumb triggers.

I ran the 466D for the farm show. Got in the paper. Soon I'll post the restoration pics.

Look up Norwich 466D on google.:notworthy

Marksan

That one looks GREAT! $10-5. pretty good deal to me. This one has the hydraulic over {CAT} controls. Koehring was trying to stay ahead of the yellow competition back then. I ran a 235 for a while, I appreciated the hydraulic valve piloting. Worked great on the coldest December day.
I'd say this machine is around '80-82 vintage. The early "E" Koehrings had the air system & the thumb triggers.

I ran the 466D for the farm show. Got in the paper. Soon I'll post the restoration pics.

Look up Norwich 466D on google.:notworthy

...............they call your 466 a steam shovel in the write up, what do they mean?

Can you explain the 'air over hydraulic" system for me (is this what they are refering to as steam). ln relation to the pre computer mid 80s machines.

Cheers.

Koehringman

Air & Steam

Right, on the air. My Koehring has an air assist to the hydraulic valves and pumps. Compressed air is generated by a compressor mounted to the engine to 100-120 psi. This air goes to the controls which are valves that when opened will send the air to a spool cylinder mounted to the hydraulic flow valve, that in turn will send hydraulic oil to the hydraulic cylinder operating boom bucket or stick.

As far as steam shovel...well not everyone knows a lot on this stuff. My education on the press is limited too.:)

Marksan

Right, on the air. My Koehring has an air assist to the hydraulic valves and pumps. Compressed air is generated by a compressor mounted to the engine to 100-120 psi. This air goes to the controls which are valves that when opened will send the air to a spool cylinder mounted to the hydraulic flow valve, that in turn will send hydraulic oil to the hydraulic cylinder operating boom bucket or stick.

As far as steam shovel...well not everyone knows a lot on this stuff. My education on the press is limited too.:)

Thanks for that. Does this kind of system require alot more operator input to the levers? l was trying to see on your video of you loading the truck couldnt quite catch it. Was this air over oil a Koehring system, or was it a general part of hoe evolution?

............my education on the press is limited also, unfortunatly my experiance with them is constant ;)

Koehringman

Hi, Marksan. Explain deeper air over oil, I'm not getting that.. No there is no more operator input to this system, except brake line anti freeze during the winter.

KoehringChic

I am so sorry to ask a question on someones else post .. But I am having a time trying to figure out how to post a question I keep getting a box that says I do not have permission to access. If anyone can help I have a 1985 Koehring C-266 we are trying to locate a high and low switch it does'nt seem to have one. If you know where one may be at on the machine please you can email me ouchhubitme@aol.com
or reply here I will keep this checking back.. Thank you so very much and again I apologize for posting on this post.. Thanx

GILLIS5055

I have a Hy Hoe that I inherited along with several other pieces of excavation equipment. Will attach pictures on my next post.

Rasspuiton

I hope someone can help. A company i work for has a Koehring 466d sitting in the field and i want to put it to work. The motor was rebuilt a few years back. The problem i am told with the machine is that the swing is very very slow...other than that they say the machine works fine..any ideas on what could be wrong? i have yet to fire it up and find out for myself..its been sitting for 2 years without being run..anything i should do to prep this heavy beast before firing it up?

Koehringman

Before starting it ...Make sure there is water and oil in the engine and the hydrauic fluid is up. The swing on my 466D was slow too. I did this: Fix any and all air line leaks. Cab air pressure gauge should read 120 psi. Get a 0-150 pound pressure gauge, open the service door behind the cab. There are 3 regulators One is the 90 psi function regulator, another is the 35 psi regulator to the thumb button controls, the other is the 5 psi feed to the hydraulic tank. I found that the 90 psi regulator was putting out 64 psi, I set it for 90...and the machine came to life! If thats not it. Charge the air system shut off the engine & have a buddy engage the swing lever and listen for leaks. Let me know how you make out.

Rasspuiton

ok awesome...thanks for the info and advice..i will check that stuff out..the owner said they stopped running it because it kept blowing hydraulic hoses..i found that out today :)...he is looking for the repair manual for it before i tear into the beast. it will probably be a few weeks before i get time to work on it but i will keep you posted..thanks again for the help :)

Koehringman

Sounds like there will be some hoses to fix :) There is a couple of 466d books on ebay. I'll keep an eye here too. Did you look at my restoration thread? Still have more to do on it, almost there though. I love my 466D. Keep in touch.

marcel.hubert

To W Isgett: Would like to know if you found the answer to your Koehring C-166 excavator regarding the tracks mouvemets. I got a 475 and your problem looks much like mine. You might E-mail at marcelo@digicom.qc.ca.

wvgca

I'm currently looking at an older C475, price is okay, and not far to haul .... but does anyone know if controls are linkage type or air over hydraulic on this model?? thanks