• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Koehring Excavators

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
Any one here have any experiance with Koehring track hoes? More specifically a Koehring 466D? There is one for sale in my area. Its listed as a 37 ton machine. Is that correct? Anyone have any other specs on them? A quick search didn't bring up much online. Its a little big for what I want, but the price is decent. He is asking $6700 for it. But then again I know old excavators make great money pits too!

-Andy

dayexco

i have a darn good 690 elc john deere with 7k hours on it that really needs nothing, you'd like it more than an older koehring. more money tho. in fact, it's in the pic in my avatar

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
you get what you pay for. we have a 6644 at work and when it runs, it is great.
when it runs.
get a deere, cat, komatsu or other name brand. it will be way easier to keep running.

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
What did they have in them for power? Something I saw online mentioned a 4-71 detroit diesel.

Yeah, I figured its prolly pretty much shot, but you guys know how it is..... see heavy equipment for sale close by and drool..... hehe

It must be a strange off brand, as searching the net hasn't yielded much.

Just for fun, what are you asking for your JD dayexco?

There was a little CAT 311B in the last machinery trader I got, thats really about the size I should be looking at. $13500 for that one, but it also seems to be an odd ball.

I really should just rent an excavator for a few days, but I like to dream......

:drinkup

-Andy

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Those old machines were at the beginning of hydraulic excavators. They used hydraulic pumps to run hydraulic motors to turn standard shovel gear works to make the machine swing and travel. They were underpowered, 4-71 Detroit, and had old air controls. There was little feel in any of your controls, either all on or all off. The swing was free like a line crane. You had to apply reverse swing to stop the house from turning. If you were not perfectly level the house would swing on its own.

The tracks were flat pads pinned together and driven by a cog wheel at one of the track frame. Drive chains came from the center sides of the carbody to drive the cog wheels. Tightening the tracks meant you had to unbolt a threaded cylinder on each side of the cogwheel or front idler and use a spanner to turn it. You adjusted the cogwheels first as they also adjusted the drive chains and then you adjusted the front idlers to tighten of loosen the tracks. It was a pain.

There is a reason for the low price. The undercarriage is probably junk and the machine will barely move before the tracks come off. I have a friend with one in a wrecking yard. His machine doesn't have to move so it works fine for him. He told me that when is quits he will just cut it up and load it in the truck.

Good Luck!

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
The Koehring/Bantam is now owned by Terex so parts should be easy to get. and the old detroits were great motor's, some of them just leaked alot ALOT lol. but i have 2 in a scraper than hasnt ever leaked a drop and burn 1/3 the fuel of my CaT's

John, the one i was around also had a 4-71 but that's about where our simularities end.

everything was like a normal excavator, swing break, hyd tensioners, tripple bar grouser shoes on a chain with rollers erc, the levers had linkage controlled valves etc. even had 2 speed track drive. and the cab set on the right side....kinda good ole machine really

i would suppose your buddy's is old enough it built the landing pad for the nina, pinta, and santa maria.lol or maybe it was a special arrangment machine for the scrap yard?

Pj

powerjoke

Occupation
What did they have in them for power? Something I saw online mentioned a 4-71 detroit diesel.

Yeah, I figured its prolly pretty much shot, but you guys know how it is..... see heavy equipment for sale close by and drool..... hehe

It must be a strange off brand, as searching the net hasn't yielded much.

Just for fun, what are you asking for your JD dayexco?

There was a little CAT 311B in the last machinery trader I got, thats really about the size I should be looking at. $13500 for that one, but it also seems to be an odd ball.

I really should just rent an excavator for a few days, but I like to dream......

:drinkup

-Andy

the 311 sounds o.k. not much of a hoe though. ( not too big) dont feel bad about renting most of us do it.

untill last year i never rented much because i was always busy, now we are slow and thinning the fleet a little we have rented quite a bit recently.

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you for the replys.

Does anyone have a picture of a 466D?

This probably won't turn out to be something I am interested in, and I hate to bother the seller if my interest isn't genuine, but it would certinly be fun to look at this machine just to look.

I have an Austin Western grader with a 3-71 Detroit in it. I agree they seem to be good little motors. The neighbor has an old Lima dragline with a 4-71 and that thing still runs dispite his very minimal maintenance.... But I cannot imagine a 4-71 powering a 74k# excavator. Underpowered sounds like an under statement.

The 311 is more of the size I should probably look at if I decide to buy one. I mostly just have smaller land clearing and maintenance projects, not so much mass excavation. Plus 30K# is alot easier to haul around then 80k#:D

Anyway, if I by do chance get a look at it, I will take some pictures and post back. :)

-Andy

tootalltimmy

Here is one I found on Kijiji for sale. Only $14,000. A steal of a deal at that price!

Attachments

• Koehring 466D 1.jpg
    Koehring 466D 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 9,092
  • Koehring 466D.jpg
    Koehring 466D.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 10,336
Last edited:

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
The bottom pic in Timmy's post is a Koehring. I don't know what the top pic is of. Bantam maybe? They were owned by Koehring, too.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I ran a 366 Bantam years ago and it had a 6V53 in it.I am not sure if the model numbers are the same between Bantam and Koehring or not.That 366 looked very much like the pic of that 475 or whatever it is in the previous post.You could walk right down the middle of it to get at about anything you wanted to reach.I considered it to be a very well designed machine.Ron G

powerjoke

Occupation
do you suppose that is a lifting eye on the stick?

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
do you suppose that is a lifting eye on the stick?

It could be. I have not seen one on the stick like that, but I have heard of it being done, on bigger machines like 1266 Koehrings, for more clearance working under wires.

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
On Bantams, 451's evolved into 166's, and 475's into 266's. I can't imagine a 466 just having a 4-71, as that's what my 266 has in it. Our 451 had a 4-53.

powerjoke

Occupation
i think our 266 had a4-71 but cant remember

Pj

Turbo21835

It could be. I have not seen one on the stick like that, but I have heard of it being done, on bigger machines like 1266 Koehrings, for more clearance working under wires.

A few guys around here have done that. It lets them use a little machine and pick heavier items. Help full when taking bigger pipe off of a truck too. Kinda hard to make a heavy pick off a truck with long boom, long stick, and qc.

Gary825

Well I have been reading the threads on this forum for quite some time and this thread asking about the old 466 forced me to register . I have been operating equipment since 1973 and I have never had a machine make me talk to myself like the old air controls did on the 466 or any Koehring of that era . That is probably the most aggravating machine I have ever run. At times I pressed the control for the stick to go out up to 15 times before it would move and when it did hope no one is near the bucket or what ever you are lifting at the time.The company I was with at the time said the machine was like that its whole life and had the Koehring dealer send a mechanic out and changed the controls and many other parts which did nothing when I was on it .I work out of a union hiring hall and the company would not let either myself or their company operator run it for more than two weeks at a time , any longer than that and who ever was on it was requesting a lay off it was so annoying . I have never met anyone who liked the controls . When you are dealing with air type controls their are to many things that can effect how or if they work . I would not think of buying one . I would take any of the many excavators I have run with foot controls for the bucket and stick along with free swing over one of those pos air controlled Koehrings .

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the input Gary! I kind of decided to not bother looking at this machine, but I sure wish it was at auction or belonged to an antique machinery club or something where I could see it run and operate. It sounds interesting..... but not to the point I wanna spend all my money on it.....

jmonk

Worked in a quarry a while back, owner had one from when he first got in the rock crushing business, and it was known as the drunk dinosaur on the site..Big, Strong, Slow, and them controls will do as they please on you!!