• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco sk25sr-2 control valve won't spool

Fdjones

Help, I have a kobelco sk25sr-2 mini excavator. It had thrown a rod and was sitting for several years before I got it. I put another engine in it and got it running. I have 500psi on the pilot pressure line from the pilot relief valve, through the joy stick controls and back to the main control valve. ( I'm testing the bucket valve because it's the easiest to access) nothing will work but the blade and turn table. ( they work separate from the pilot control system. Does anyone know why I can't get movement on any other function?

TVA

Let me clarify: you do have pilot pressure right at control valve actuator(s)?!

Is your hydraulic lock out activated? Meaning is the lever on the left down?

Fdjones

Yes the leaver lock in engaged and letting the pilot pressure to move through the joy stick controls and all the way to the main control valve. I took the pilot line lose that goes to the main control valve and hook a pressure gage to it, it readies zero until I move the joy stick for that movement ( bucket function) pressure gage goes up to 500psi which is what the book calls for. However when I hook it back up to the control valve, it won't move the bucket nor will anything else work. Tracks won't move, arm won't move, only the blade and turn table.

TVA

By the turntable you mean the whole upper structure ( like big excavator) or just a boom swing?

Obviously you have manual!
Look in to hydraulic diagram, you basically have three main pumps: two piston ( inside the same housing, that’s why there’s two outlets) and one gear.
I am pretty sure blade is getting run by gear pump. Look if whatever function is operational ( slew or swing), if it runs off of the same gear pump - you might want to start testing the piston parts of the main pump(s).

Last edited:

Fdjones

There are 4 outputs from the pump, output 4 goes to rhe pilot, output 3 goes to the main control valve and workers the blade and slewing (turn table swing) output 1&2 go to the main control valve as well and work everything else. I put a pressure gage on P3 and get zero reading until I move the blade up or down or swing the upper unit. When I put the pressure gage on P1 or P2 test port I get zero pressure even when I move the joy sticks. I have pilot pressure going into the main valve but it's not making the spool move in the Valve to allow the fluid to move to the cylinders.

TVA

If your P1 P2 is a piston pump ( usually is) then your piston pump(s) crapped out! Unless you are lucky SOB and compensator spring is broken and rotational group in OKish condition.
I wouldn’t bet on that! Though.

TVA

If you want to make sure I am right - just restrict the P1 and/or P2 ( plug the hose that goes in to control valve). And read the pressure.

Fdjones

I switched p3 with p2 (only hoses that would reach each other) and it worked the blade and swing just like p3 did originally. Acted like it had good pressure, picked the machine up with no problem. With that said, it acres like all the pilots aren't shifting the spools and the pressure from p1&p2 are going straight back to the tank. Should p1&p2 be reading pressure in a neutral position?

TVA

I switched p3 with p2 (only hoses that would reach each other) and it worked the blade and swing just like p3 did originally. Acted like it had good pressure, picked the machine up with no problem. With that said, it acres like all the pilots aren't shifting the spools and the pressure from p1&p2 are going straight back to the tank. Should p1&p2 be reading pressure in a neutral position?
Well! That’s interesting!!!
Is there a reason spools will be that stuck?
At least pressure test P1 P2 separate from
Control valve, to know both are working good!
I had one spool getting stuck because of debris from damaged cylinder, but never seen all of them stuck.
That valve is open center, so there will be no pressure build up until you move one of the spools to block center passage.
If you pretty sure that piston pumps are.

Hold down a minute!!!
Check your diagrams how auxiliary connected and combined, check if someone didn’t connect auxiliary hoses to each other.
If P1 and P2 combining flow to run auxiliary, and hoses are looped - that might be your culprit.

Fdjones

Not sure if I'm following you, p1,p2 & p3 come straight off the pump and go directly to the main control valve. I did loosen the hoses from the bucket cylinder, cranked it up and got fluid poring out of one side like it was under pressure (with out touching any controls) i cut it ok, hooked that line back up to the cylinder, cranked it agin and this time fluid pored out of the other line without touching the controls. I thought that there shouldn't be any fluid moving at all from these lines until I moved the appropriate joy stick.

Fdjones

By auxiliary connections, do you mean the lines at the end of the boom near the bucket for like a thumb?

TVA

Not sure if I'm following you, p1,p2 & p3 come straight off the pump and go directly to the main control valve. I did loosen the hoses from the bucket cylinder, cranked it up and got fluid poring out of one side like it was under pressure (with out touching any controls) i cut it ok, hooked that line back up to the cylinder, cranked it agin and this time fluid pored out of the other line without touching the controls. I thought that there shouldn't be any fluid moving at all from these lines until I moved the appropriate joy stick.
So I don’t have exactly yours diagram at hand, and I don’t work for Kobelco for 20
years to remember it.
i worked on some mini excavators, and they are similar and different at the same time.

The pumps set ups pretty much the same , but combination of the controls and control valve set ups are different!
This one have trochoidal pump just for the pilot, most of them combining branches flow from two or all three pumps to create pilot.

All 4 of your pumps, including piston ones, are fixed displacement, that’s why all parts of you control valve is open center!

Many of these machines combine flow
from two different parts of control valve to run high flow for auxiliary attachments.
If your P1 and P2 combining the flow for auxiliary, and something is connected wrong or got stuck - it may dump all your flow from both parts of control valve back to tank without building up the pressure.
By auxiliary connections, do you mean the lines at the end of the boom near the bucket for like a thumb?
Yes.

Fdjones

No sir there's nothing connected to those ports at the end of the boom.
Is there a way to check pressure on p1&p2 ? If I unhook them and connect a gage to them, won't it bust something do to no relief valve to let the fluid go somewhere?

Also thank you for taking time to trouble shoot this with me.

TVA

No sir there's nothing connected to those ports at the end of the boom.
Is there a way to check pressure on p1&p2 ? If I unhook them and connect a gage to them, won't it bust something do to no relief valve to let the fluid go somewhere?

Also thank you for taking time to trouble shoot this with me.
No, the compensator spring will not let you over pressurize the piston pumps. But don’t do it to P3 though!!!
I don’t like to use plugs, I use needle valves.

TVA

I am not about to buy manual just to help you, but that’s the best I can find for free.

This valve combining P1 and P2, but I can’t really read diagram because of bad quality.

4F507957-521B-4E53-9943-8BC801B9DD87.png 1C1E1743-2CCA-49E3-964A-C2FAC471322B.jpeg 1C1E1743-2CCA-49E3-964A-C2FAC471322B.jpeg

TVA

I can’t really see it good, but it just might be that failure of the one main relief may affect the other! Or something happened to both main relief valves.

TVA

Upon ruining my eyes to look at that blurry diagram, it looks like that valve combining flow of both pumps to run boom. So if something failed in the boom circuit, and that valve is in the combine position - it can dump the pressure of the both pumps.
JCB has the kinda same thing for aux. flow, and as far as I remember arm crowd up to certain pressure.