• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kobelco SK120 bogging down when tracking

PapaK

Hello, I have a new to me 1995 Kobelco SK120.

I bought it off a farmer who had it at his property for 10 years doing easy work. He had bought it off an estate of a guy who has passed suddenly who was using it for forestry work with a Keto 150 processing head on it.

Now that it’s at my place and I’m actually using it in a real environment I’m noticing that the main seal in the bucket piston is most likely shot. But the issue I am going to ask about is that the final drives are bogging down when I’m on a slope. And bogs down to the point where it’s almost stalling the engine. it acts as if it were a car in too high of a gear . But it’s showing in turtle mode. When I advance the tracking pedals 60-70%, it does not bog down. I am noticing there is wear in the side of the drive sprocket where it looks like the chains are rubbing against it.

The forestry owner previously did the final drives just before he died and I’m wondering if maybe he used the wrong parts or installed the sprockets incorrectly to cause them to wear against the chains? Would this be enough to cause the machine to bog down that much on hills? And by hills I mean dirt roads of 10-15% slope.

Is this indicative of something not set up properly on the hydraulic side?

Since the machine had that processing head on it, there are a lot of extras on the hydraulic system it seems. There is a hydraulic oil cooler behind the cab with 8 case fans that I have yet to see turn on. I’m not sure if this is an add on for the head. I’ve only run the machine for a few hours doing light work in cool ambient temps so maybe it didn’t get hot enough to turn on but I thought I would see what your experiences with that are. The machine seems to maybe have a grounding issue somewhere since the instrument panel flickers on and off and gives me fluid level warnings when everything is topped up.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• BB9FBB35-912A-482D-9B61-A9E1AD4F043B.jpeg
    BB9FBB35-912A-482D-9B61-A9E1AD4F043B.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 8

Vetech63

I’m noticing that the main seal in the bucket piston is most likely shot.
If so, loose packing material can contaminate your hydraulic system and get lodged in places that cause valves and such to stick........or not work at all.
or installed the sprockets incorrectly to cause them to wear against the chains?
Pics of what you are seeing would help.

PapaK

Not the best photo as I had to last minute fly across the country but you can see the metal is rubbing.

Attachments

• D46492AE-2499-4476-96AC-5AB24D194BF8.jpeg
    D46492AE-2499-4476-96AC-5AB24D194BF8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Often, excavators used for forestry applications have many mods made to the hydraulic system. I suggest you try to obtain a hydraulic schematic, in that way you should reduce the likelihood of a bum steer. I guess you have a 12 ton 63Kw series three machine.
If you have a manual, even better.
Kind regards
Uffex

PapaK

I do have the manuals to the machine and for the processing head. 4 x 4” think binders. Any idea where I should start?

PapaK

Thanks for this document. I think I have more than the tracking issues rearing it’s head as everything is starting to feel like low power and bog down with multiple controls. sSo I’m going to go through all the fuel filters and screens to start just to dir sure eliminate that, check the pilot pressures, and make a new post about everything going on.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Kyle Helmke

Lift your tracks off the ground one at a time and stop watch your time to make 3 revolutions this will allow you to compare the output of both pumps