• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

kobelco sk 130-8 main pump failure

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Rotary piston hydraulic pumps do not suck oil into them like a gear or vane pump does. They do not self prime at all. It has always been my practice to crack fittings on top of the pump and put a little air pressure into the tank till I get oil out of all the fittings. Only once the bubbles clear do I start the engine. I only start the engine at low idle and let it run for a bit. Then I'll slowly start moving the functions clearing any air from them. After all that I'll set the implements down in the fluid level checking position and top off the hydraulic oil as necessary.

Lets say you have installed the pump and now are putting hydraulic oil back into the reservoir. There are many small passages inside the pump that have air inside then that takes a bunch of time to bleed out. You crack fittings at the highest parts of the pump to bleed as much air out as possible. Most of my work was done on Komatsu machines but also a few Hitachi and Link-Belts. Most of the pumps I've had apart had servo pistons inside the pump to control swash plate angle. Most use a spring on one servo piston and nothing on the other. The spring can be set up one of two ways. The spring can be on the side of that pushes the swash plate to full tilt or to perpendicular or no flow. There is supposed to be oil behind both servo pistons. In either case when you start the engine the pump is supposed put oil through the control valve block and a small supply comes back to the pump control blocks through a small hose. If there is no oil in that hose the pump goes to full stroke. It doesn't take much movement of a piston against the barrel with no oil in it to score the barrel and seize the pistons to the barrel.

That is probably the best way I can explain it.

anwat

dear john and all,thanks for your kind helps and educating sessions.
i think i found out something that was considered to be really simple,most critical and also devastating,i was really amazed and disappointed when checking the filtration system.
i found out the filter by-pass valve was installed inverted that letting the unfiltered oil pass through the filtered system,really upset with it,i just didn't know how it could happen and missed the inspection.
all the systems now were disassembled and cleaned thoroughly,i really hope it was the only cause of these series failure .thank you all humble guys,really respect on your help