• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Knuckleboom crane charts

BoomUp

When reading a Palfinger Vehicle Loading crane chart, I see there are two values given. Contained in a box is a number with a shaded box below with a lower number. SWL is indicated but what is the meaning of the lower shaded number?

crane operator

Would help to know which palfinger chart you are looking at.

It could be a deduction for some kind of optional attachment, which it would state in the notes for the particular model.

Or it could be a comparison for different scales. i.e. One is kg and the other is nm.

hvy 1ton

Or it could be a comparison for different scales. i.e. One is kg and the other is nm.
1 kg is 9.8 N. Nm or mt would be the class of the crane not part of the chart.
It could be a deduction for some kind of optional attachment
Mounted winch would be my guess. Especially since the difference gets smaller as the radius increases and the winch would be mounted on the first stage.

Last edited:

crane operator

1 nm = 1.11kg. in the conversion chart I was looking at. I only deal in screaming eagle freedom units and I slept through high school science class. So they could mean anything. I can only do metric ton or kilograms to pounds in a pinch if I'm trying to figure out what I can lift.

Palfinger had this in one of their charts also, so without knowing exactly what chart it is, its kind of hard to tell.

1698548748295.png

crane operator

If I hadn't spent my nights dreaming of nubile females I would never date, I would have been able to stay awake in science class and then I would totally get what you're talking about.

So the palfinger chart I posted just has similar numbers in the charts showing kN and kg. If you can transpose some decimal points- which is what I was assimilating from the (k) meaning thousands. Which from 34 years ago high school was the whole point of the metric system- the ease of swapping in groups of 10's and moving around decimal points. Which I obviously wasn't really paying attention at.

And now I'm going to stop posting of my total ignorance of the metric system, and go back to looking at old grove crane charts, which never dreamed of distances that weren't explained by the size of my boot.