• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kinked Tracks

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
Looking at a machine with relatively low hours but has kinked tracks. Any suggestions for working them out other than walking the machine around?

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Brings up a question........Why don't excavators have salt tracks on them? The machines cost enough you would think another few bucks wouldn't hurt anything

mitch504

Cat used to say it was because they didn't walk all the time, like a dozer, they were designed to sit in one place and dig.

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
The newer excavators with grease seal tracks seem to be a problem if one of the seals go and dirt gets in.
I have had 4 Komatsu hoes that this has happened to. it seems to be worse if they have sat for the winter.
They do not straighten out working them! It makes for a fight with the dealer over "prorate warranty".
next one I am going back to dry tracks they seem to last longer.
Doug

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day BKrois
We guess your issue is with smaller size of chain B-D4, if so we have investigated the issue on a number of occasions testing different solutions. We can supply the full report if this is of interest just drop a request to bucketsense@gmail.com.
Kind regards Uffex

QuickTrax

Looking at a machine with relatively low hours but has kinked tracks. Any suggestions for working them out other than walking the machine around?

You have a couple of options on getting your tracks to loosen. Walk your machine around to see if they will loosen. Walk your machine through water or soak them with diesel and see if they will loosen. These two methods rarely work but I have heard of people having success. The only sure thing would be to have them pressed apart and all of your pins and the inside of your bushings brushed and greased then pressed back together.
Good luck, QuickTrax

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
Thank you for the replies. Here's a pic. I've heard a few other ideas on how to get them free, i'll update the thread as I go

Attachments

• tracks.jpg
    tracks.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 579

entasis

had that on an '98 ex220 - had 4600 hrs when I got it, but the chain was newish and the machine sat some - 4 places on one side - I could straighten 'em out by setting the kink down on a high spot on hard ground between rollers, but they'd go back to kinked after comin' up around sprocket or idler - ran it and 3 have gone away completely on their own, they are nice and loose and sag when they should - 1 remains but is inconsequential - that said, I don't know **** in regards to this subject in general

I'd do whatever NIGE says 'cause the location under his avatar says.............Dad's Army "they don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring Sir".............chuckle

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
I have thought of lancing out the offending pin then using a die grinder with a flap wheel to clean the bushing and then pushing in a new pin.
all with out splitting the track. Has anyone tried this and if so did it work? I know you would burn the seal but I think that you would save more wear and tear
on the machine without the bouncing that the kinked pins cause. Any thoughts?
Doug

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good Day 72hayes
Dare I say you have very low labour rates or you have time and money to kill, forget the idea run it till it drops and buy new.
I hope the reply is seen in the context of helpful.
Kind regards
Uffex