• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kenworth dump truck to semi conversion

Soodude

Hey guys I figured I would start the thread on my 90 KenworthT800 Semi conversion. I ripped the box off, got rid of the lift cylinder and pup hydraulic tank. I began stripping the hood by taking the headlights out and started getting some of the grille off. The tanks are off and I'm patching the fuel tank where the straps laid. There was a small pin hole under it.... Tomorrow I will move the axles forward since I already have the holes drilled.... I'll get more photos on here for yas

kenworth1.jpg

Soodude

Update on the project. I have shortened the wheelbase about 33 inches, installed the fuel tank, air tanks and new power steering pump. Here are the links to the pics

20111009_003.jpg

20111016_002.jpg

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Dam you must have got that t800 cheep, with all the work you got into her, you could have found a road tractor for about the same as what you got into her... looks good tho...

Soodude

You guys are going to laugh when you find out how much I have into it...... 900.00 for the truck, 265.00 for driveshaft work, 385.00 for batteries, I did some trading for my 5th wheel plate and maybe just under 100.00 in to other little odds and ends and I'm getting ready to shoot it this weekend with some black paint and maybe some orange flake in the clear but I have a great truck now for absolutely nothing. I'll put more pics up when she's completed. I love shopping at a scrap yard, you never know you're gonna find LOL!!!

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Cool, what you going to be pulling with it? and what motor?

Soodude

Hi !

good work , sometimes spending more time in the shop and less at the bank is worth it !! banks are thieves with a permit to do so !

LOL!!! no kidding especially with the economy right now..... I have an excavating outfit and I've been without a semi for over 3 years so I'm unable to move my excavator or loader long distances without having to pay someone else and that's not cheap, almost 300 bucks one way. So when I got the chance to pick up this project I hopped on it

Soodude

Cool, what you going to be pulling with it? and what motor?

Right now the plans are to be able to pull my lowboy trailer to move our excavator and loader over long distances and to be able to use our lead end dump trailer since the only thing we've been hauling with is our two tandem dump trucks.... makes for a lot of hauling especially when one of our jobs this year was 610 ton of 22a gravel. A lead will cut that in half since you can get almost 2 and a half times the amount of a tandem dump truck into a semi lead combo. The truck is actually a Kenworth T450... they look so damn close since the cab components are the same LOL. The truck has a 350hp L10 cummins with a 13 speed eaton with the low reduction. I figured it's not a big power house but I figured it will do the job just fine plus I think of it as the more HP ya have the more chances of breaking something go up LOL

Andre Grondin

Hi !

More HP usualy means more fuel too ,unless HP means Hamster Power ! thus won't be able to pull the lowboy ! LOL better have an old nelly paid for than a spanking brand new rig with payments and fuel to pay anyway ! also not afraid to scratch it all the time on jobs , not that we have to scratch them on purpous but at least it hurts us less .
you will also have pride in that KW that you refurbished yourself !

I'm in a process of buying brand old 1985 Mack RD688S 10 wheels dumper , he is in a great shape and the price is right !!
so I'll go with that to start instead of a big investment ! time will tell but my feeling is that should be a good buy .
I will go see it today with a friend of mine that has truck and he is a damn good mecanics.

Soodude

5th wheel plate on, shortened the wheel base 33 inches now she just needs needs black paint and she'll be ready for her first trial run. Already took it for a drive today and it ran flippin awesome, transmission felt awesome and it felt extremely peppy. Once I shoot it black and get the stickers for it then I'll post some more pics for yas

Attachments

• 20111031_003.jpg
    20111031_003.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 3,097

Soodude

Thank you DEERE, I'm getting excited to hook on to a trailer for the first time with it. I need to finish my paint and stickers then I can put my headache rack on and hook it up. I've always wanted to build my own semi... LOL

Soodude

Just finished painting it and I'll pull the tape off tomorrow.... Had to throw the headache rack on there to see how she would look and I LOVE IT!!!

20111105_002.jpg20111105_003.jpg

Soodude

Headlights in and tape off just need to find a different grille cause this is looking like poo

Attachments

• 20111106_001.jpg
    20111106_001.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2,507