• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Keeping Mice out of your equipment

Airedale

An easy way to control mice/rats in buildings and machinery in buildings is to make a self feeder for them to dispense mouse/rat bait.

Get some 11/2" PVC pipe and some T couplings and caps. Cut two 6" pieces and one 12" piece. Insert the 6" inch pieces into the sides of the T place the 12" piece in the top hole glue them in place.

Purchase some mice/rat bait that is in 3/4" by 1" pieces. Fill the 12" piece and place a cap on top then take plumbers strap and fix them to the inside walls of your buildings.

Mice and rats like to run along the inside walls of buildings. They will go into the 6" pieces of PVC pipe and eat the bait.

When one piece is gone another one falls down to take it's place making a mouse/rat self feeder.

The poison/bait is contained your pets cannot get to it and the mice and rats will just go off and die. At first you will go through the bait fairly fast then as you get them under control it doesn't take much bait to keep the population down. You just have to remember to fill them once in awhile.

One feeder about every 12 feet is enough around the inside of a building.

Airedale

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
mouth balls work but stink to high heaven, dryer sheets work too but loose effectiveness after a while, my recomendation is to purchase some all weather bait chunks.
Take a chunk, and handle it with pliers only so as to not leave a scent and insert wire through the bait chunk tie it near areas that mice seem to use for entry or access, Two or three spots should do the trick.....IE Intake, cab, elect harness, etc.
best of luck!

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
An easy way to control mice/rats in buildings and machinery in buildings is to make a self feeder for them to dispense mouse/rat bait.

Get some 11/2" PVC pipe and some T couplings and caps. Cut two 6" pieces and one 12" piece. Insert the 6" inch pieces into the sides of the T place the 12" piece in the top hole glue them in place.

Purchase some mice/rat bait that is in 3/4" by 1" pieces. Fill the 12" piece and place a cap on top then take plumbers strap and fix them to the inside walls of your buildings.

Mice and rats like to run along the inside walls of buildings. They will go into the 6" pieces of PVC pipe and eat the bait.

When one piece is gone another one falls down to take it's place making a mouse/rat self feeder.

The poison/bait is contained your pets cannot get to it and the mice and rats will just go off and die. At first you will go through the bait fairly fast then as you get them under control it doesn't take much bait to keep the population down. You just have to remember to fill them once in awhile.

One feeder about every 12 feet is enough around the inside of a building.

Airedale

Unless your pet eats the poisoned mice.

reaper020

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I went to put my gloves on one morning to grease up my machine. felt like a wad of cotten in the end of my glove I couldn't get my hand in them. I took my hand out and looked inside and a mouse jumped out at me scared the **** out of me.:eek: I found out that if I didn't leave any paper towle in the side of my machine the mice usually weren't interested in it.

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
We had a huge mouse problem in our horse barn which houses about 30 horses plus me and my g/f live above the barn. we tried just about everything but poison as we also have 6 dogs on the property and did not want any of them getting the poison. the plug in thing worked really well and the mice in our walls disappeared for about 3 days until they realized that the noise was not gonna kill em and then they were back in full force. what finally got rid of all the mice was this fall rats decided to invade the barn and the mice will not co-habitat with rats. i tell you having rats in our walls really made us miss the mice when outlets and light switches began to stop working. not to mention how much louder the rats were. long story short ended up tying poison all over the barn in places where dogs could not get it. just be sure to tie it with little steel cables or they will just eat through whatever you tie it with. was a real pain cause the rats ruined our vapor barrier in our bedroom walls and their pee and poop actually rotted one corner support of the building so we had to gut our bedroom to repair the mold and support and also had to do some rewiring.

also if you ever find the access holes they are coming in through plug them with steel wool. they hate chewing it.