• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kato Info

s1100

Hi everyone, I am looking at a Kato excavator and was wondering if any one has any info, experience or history on this brand machine. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Steve

insleyboy

Old thread, I just found....sorry but my advise to s1100....run away as fast as you can from this machine!!!! No parts, no servicemen, no new knowledge, NO NO NO!!!! stay as far away as possible!!!JUNK!

Bellboy

COPPA
Insleyboy, I tend to disagree. Kato is sold here under Bell, so service and backup under them is really, really good.

stretch

Insleyboy, I tend to disagree. Kato is sold here under Bell, so service and backup under them is really, really good.

I don't think America is exactly their biggest market...that's probably why I've only seen one working around here in my life. Other then that, I can't say. :beatsme

insleyboy

Well thats good Bellboy, good luck. We waited 4 months for a drive motor.....the list goes on and on, from a very reputable contractor here in Michigan. Hope you have good luck with them cause in the beginning I liked the model but as time went on I noticed Cat was a better machine. Maybe they have improved but they sure left a bad impression on me!

Bellboy

COPPA
It all comes down to availability of spares, and how much you really want to look after the machine.

strangehand

In china, kate is sold very well...
people always have to wait a long time for a new kato excavator..
kate has established a new facoroy in Jiangsu China........

hitch

"people always have to wait a long time for a new kato excavator.."
That is true, but the only reason is Kato sells few and "looks" people have to wait, in terms of the sales volume, Kato is out of the Top 10.

I would say Kato's quality is not bad but as for the product support, dealership, parts supply...really not good in north China.

strangehand

I am glad to see you from china...

"people always have to wait a long time for a new kato excavator.."
That is true, but the only reason is Kato sells few and "looks" people have to wait, in terms of the sales volume, Kato is out of the Top 10.

I would say Kato's quality is not bad but as for the product support, dealership, parts supply...really not good in north China.
bacause of few kato new excavator in hunan, most of clients have to choose komatsu or hitachi excavator etc....

Last edited:

Bellboy

COPPA
Nice to see you again Hitch. What can you tell me about the Shaanxi trucks? Looks like they are built using old MAN F2000 technologies.

hitch

Nice to see you again Hitch. What can you tell me about the Shaanxi trucks? Looks like they are built using old MAN F2000 technologies.

Thank you bellboy, as for the Shaanxi trucks, yes they purchased particularly the F2000 technology from MAN and now this model is the main force of them.
For more information, you could send me message and I will be very glad to discuss with you:)

JASON M

Well let me tell ya sumpting: I've got a Kato 1250 VII Exceed Series that I bought new and it worked as good as any of 'em, till the dealer that I bought it from fell off the face of the Earth. No parts, No tech help, No service, No Nutting!!!

Tell your buddy that is waiting in line for his Kato, that he won't have to stand in a long line if he calls me. I'll sell mine like YESTERDAY.

rockmuncher

Well let me tell ya sumpting: I've got a Kato 1250 VII Exceed Series that I bought new and it worked as good as any of 'em, till the dealer that I bought it from fell off the face of the Earth. No parts, No tech help, No service, No Nutting!!!

Tell your buddy that is waiting in line for his Kato, that he won't have to stand in a long line if he calls me. I'll sell mine like YESTERDAY.

Got any pics of it mate?

We have a couple of these and IMO they are great machines, yeah back-up service can be hard to get but they are that simple that most things could be fixed by yourself or a good plant mechanic.

Shane

Last edited:

merideth

Jason M I'm just across the LA border in Texas and have been looking for drive motor parts for my 1220 SE II. Were you ever able to find a dealer for parts (new or used)? I have been without the use of my machine since June 2009 because of a broken cylinder block. My machine was purchased in LA and used by a Parish. I bought it used from them.

merideth

if any of you know of an old 1220 SE parked in a bone yard or someones pasture somewhere because they couldn't get parts, I'd sure like to know about it. Maybe I could get what I need from them.

rockmuncher

If you are willing to purchase from Australia I will give you the contact detail for some one I am pretty sure could help you.

Ring this company and ask for Lance

Shane

wnydirtguy

we have an old KATO. when i first started with the company I thouth it would be a hunk of junk. it is a "well" used machine. but after using it I found it to be pretty good. pretty tight and still dug well. last year it blew a final and cann't find any parts. so they just pulled the guts out of the blow one and we limp it around. now it is just a yard machine.

merideth

thanks, I have already thought of that option as a last resort. I have had a ring gear made once for the other final drive but that's real expensive. Looked into it this time and looks like the cylinder block will cost about $2K to have made.

rockmuncher

The above company has wrecked many kato's and if he doesn't have the part I'm sure he will have a lead on someone that does.

Shane

Oh, BTW, many KATO parts from different models are interchangeable and Lance will be able to tell you what is and what isn't. I have done many dealings with him and would highly recommend him.

Last edited:

JimInOz

Australia was a good market for Kato in the 70s/80s.I think Blackwood Hodge were the dealers.Besides Excavator World,I think Excawreck in W.A & another Co in Northern NSW sell used Kato parts.Undercarriage can be got from various Italian,Korean & Chinese suppliers.
My uncle used an old 770(??) on Demolition in the early 80s.I think it had more levers than a Grader...