• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kato 1220se||

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
Gday all, Look i'm posting on this thread as need some advice on an excavator. I currently run my own agri business doing hay and tillage and general work, Have a unimog 4wd tractor covering all that work. Now i wanted to expand into earthmoving and i wonder how versatile a excavator can be for doing various jobs? I have been keeping my eye on a Kato 1220SE||, it looks a bit rough but still usable, would this be a good solid machine to enter into the earthmoving business?

any help greatly appreciated

many thanks

Alex :d

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I was hoping that all of those had gone out of existence.

The electronics are absolutely horrible, the hydraulics are very prone to overheating and they leak everywhere. I worked for a dealer of them one time. I didn't leave that dealer because of that line but it was a relief to never have to work on one ever again.

I don't know if they ever put in a parts depot in this country. I would recommend a pick a shovel over one of those machines.

Do what you want and good luck!

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
Thanks John, its always better to ask people with experience. Well i dont think i will be touching it, had a look at the pictures and there appear to be leaks coming from all sorts of places. Given the poor quality of the build, id rather go and purchase dish-washing liquid and try and wash the soil away :D. Thanks for the honest opinion

Best wishes
Alex :D