• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just starting as a mobile heavy equipment mechanic

vera66

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic/Mixer mechanic
Hello everyone I am new to the forum and am very glad I found this forum. I just got offered my dream job as a mobile heavy equipment mechanic at the company I work at and was wondering if anyone could just give some over all advice in regards to what tools I need as far as must haves as I already have a lot of tools and also just whatever advice anyone would like to share . A little about me, I went to Los Angeles trade tech and majored in diesel technology and the cement and aggregate company I work for now recruited me straight out of school. I started out working swing on cement mixers and any chance I got I would work on the yellow iron I would jump at and a little over a year later after showing interest in going to the heavy equipment repair side they offered me a service truck, working days and on the job training with the heavy equipment mechanics. Also I wasn't sure if this was the right thread but I figured since I work for a aggregate company I was in the right place. Last question are we aloud to say what company you work for? Thank you and I look forward to hearing everyones responses.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Tools depend on what you are going to be doing. I run the gambit. 301 this morning and a 385 at night so I carry as much as possible. I have sockets up to 3 1/2", multipliers, pullers, and I stopped counting at 12 different wrench sets. Got to have impacts to run it all as well. I also carry grinders, welder, torch, and tap and dye sets. I can fix most parts without a second run. You will learn fast what you need specific to your job. When you have to borrow it more than twice, buy it. Don't max yourself out. Get what you need but watch your spending. Make sure you have enough to live afterwards. Nothing like having a big Snap On box and your living on ramen noodles! Yes you can say and most of us know by where you are or can figure it out. We don't out of professional courtesy. No airing dirty laundry here. Don't get hauled into the bosses office with a rant you posted, the system is watching you:eek2

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Cordless impacts are a beautiful thing for field work. Find a brand you like and slowly build your inventory.
Impact swivel socket sets are all I use because you can get onto a lot more bolts.

tekemp

Cordless impacts are a beautiful thing for field work. Find a brand you like and slowly build your inventory.
Impact swivel socket sets are all I use because you can get onto a lot more bolts.

x2!! Love my cordless impacts I have both snap on and IR and for the money you can't beat the new IR lithium guns in 1/2 and 3/8. I use my impact swivel sockets every day!

As far as extra supply I like the plastic organizer boxes found at harbor freight for misc. parts and hardware, as stated above you will find out what you need to carry with you the more you get into it.

vera66

Occupation
Thank you very much guys for your responses I think its awesome that there are professionals on here that are willing to share a little advice to a green horn. Caterpillarmech is there any must haves you can list? I know I can't get everything even though I want to lol I just want to be as self sufficient as I can be. Basically I will be driving to our other plants to train with the heavy equipment mechanics a couple times a week and then the rest of the week I will be doing PMS and small repairs I can handle until I get the hang of it. Anyone know of any good information I should get a hold of to under stand how the hydraulic system works on cat and komastu loaders and dozers? I know how a basic hydraulic system works from working on mixers for the past year but I know heavy equipment is a whole different ball game and I thrive off of knowledge in service manuals but nothing beats hands on training with someone wholes been doing it for a decade. Mobiletek and tekemp I already bought to gearwrench 1/2 inch drive impact swivel socket sets metric and standard are 3/8 drive must have also? Anybody have experience with the Milwaukee fuel 1/2 cordless impact? Is seems like a pretty awesome gun. And how do you guys charge your batteries on the service truck a inverter? Thanks again so glad I found this forum?

vera66

Occupation
Going to be trouble shooting a 980G bucket leveling system today and rebuild a slider for the seat in a 988H today can't wait! And also I want to post some pics of my new to me service truck so do I have to block off the name?

tekemp

Thank you very much guys for your responses I think its awesome that there are professionals on here that are willing to share a little advice to a green horn. Caterpillarmech is there any must haves you can list? I know I can't get everything even though I want to lol I just want to be as self sufficient as I can be. Basically I will be driving to our other plants to train with the heavy equipment mechanics a couple times a week and then the rest of the week I will be doing PMS and small repairs I can handle until I get the hang of it. Anyone know of any good information I should get a hold of to under stand how the hydraulic system works on cat and komastu loaders and dozers? I know how a basic hydraulic system works from working on mixers for the past year but I know heavy equipment is a whole different ball game and I thrive off of knowledge in service manuals but nothing beats hands on training with someone wholes been doing it for a decade. Mobiletek and tekemp I already bought to gearwrench 1/2 inch drive impact swivel socket sets metric and standard are 3/8 drive must have also? Anybody have experience with the Milwaukee fuel 1/2 cordless impact? Is seems like a pretty awesome gun. And how do you guys charge your batteries on the service truck a inverter? Thanks again so glad I found this forum?

I personally don't have any experience with the Milwaukee guns but I have not heard anything bad about them, and yes I would recommend and 3/8 cordless impact and 3/8 swivel sockets I know I use them a lot!
Also for electrical trouble shooting you can't beat a power probe!

As far as service info. I can't say for Komatsu but for cat if your company has a lot of equipment I would think they have CAT SIS/ET?

mitch504

I use the M18 Milwaukee impact, and it is awesome. I seldom use an air wrench anymore, unless I need 1" drive. The other great thing about the M18 setup is that just about any other power tool you want is available and can use the same batteries and charger. I carry the M18 grinder and 1/2" drill/driver, too

On edit: I do charge my tool batteries with an inverter, though a 12 volt charger is available. With 2 batteries and 1 charger, I have never run out of power, but if you were going to do a long hard grinding job, you might need 1 more.

Last edited:

vera66

Occupation
We have cat et but I don't think I have access to sis as I am kinda away from the main shop I meant more along the lines of a good basic hydraulic manual of some sort to get a better idea how everything works and awesome mitch504 were did you buy your Milwaukee?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Going to be trouble shooting a 980G bucket leveling system today and rebuild a slider for the seat in a 988H today can't wait! And also I want to post some pics of my new to me service truck so do I have to block off the name?

Well if trying to trouble shoot the 980G you better have Cat ET on laptop. Just saw where you do have ET, that should be good enough for now. Do you have the 980G service manual? That would give you the wiring diagram and it would help you to locate components.

One thing that may help to know is if the problem seems to be in the bucket leveler make sure the boom angle sensor is working properly. The boom angle sensor can cause the ECM to get confused and mess with the bucket leveler. Also have found on at least one 980G the harness to the tilt sensor to have broken wire in side the conduit near the upper boom pin.

Slider on 988H could be something as simple as dirt in the mechanism.

If you are going to be working on many Newer Cat machines it would help to have tools and fittings for repairing Deutsch connectors for the wiring. If you can get company to provide the tool get the one from Cat if you need to buy it check on line for one, not a nice as Cat's but has work for me.

Not sure about you question about posting pictures of service truck, guess it might be something your company might be able to answer. Some times they can get very paranoid about publicity, especially if you were to say something negative. Any chance they are owned by a German company???

Last edited:

nowing75

The fuel milwalkee works great unles the temp goes negative. Keep an eye out on eBay for the larger wrenches as I have got some good deals as well as sockets. Local auctions can be good. I have some manuals on pdf if your interested and I belive some hydraulic training. If your intersted send me a your email and I will send s link. Good luck in your new endever.

vera66

Occupation
Heck ya I want those PDF I just sent you a message nowing75. Also I have kind of checked out the forum a little more after work today and was I supposed to post this in shop section?

JDOFMEMI

Welcome, and glad to hear you are doing well.

As far as blocking out the name, that would depend on company policy. On here, we have no policy I know of, but your employer might, especially oif they are one of the bigger companies.

Share what you can, but don't get yourself in trouble at work.

pajibson

Flea markets are also a good source for filling out your tool kit. I have picked up some stuff at a phenomenal savings just by being patient and hitting the flea market on a regular basis. about 2 months ago a found a CP 1" impact for $40. The very next saturday I got a williams 10 pc socket set for to go with it for 25. beyond that the local craigslist and ebay have both been pretty good to me as well for tools. PM me your email address and I'll send you a link to my drop box for all the manuals etc I have too.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF vera66. :drinkup

I have to agree with what's been posted previously, posting pics here at HEF is no problem, but many companies and sites get paranoid at what gets posted on the internet. If your employer/company has no issue post away. And as far as tools/equipment, again as was posted earlier, it depends on the type of equipment you work on, time on the job will sort that out for you.

And just as a notice to all above, yes, I think this thread would fit better in the Shop Talk section. I'll give it a little time then I'll move the thread to shop talk. ;)

nowing75

Hydraulic fitting caps and plugs are nice to keep everything clean. I have been collecting them and adapter fittings for checking pressure.

pajibson

To help offset the cost of the cap & plug collection I cut the ends off of hoses I have replaced and weld them up. A trick I saw someone mention on here.

vera66

Occupation
In regards to making your own caps and plugs do you know if that would be msha approved? I work on a mine and from what my foreman says I can't have any how made tools or lifting device without a weight rating and so on

fergy

whenever you get a hose replaced ask for the hose dude to put plugs on the ends to keep clean
slowly your collection will build and the hose will stay clean