• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

Went down to the local hydro dam this week. Evidently the engineers decided the old 12 1/2 ton rail crane that they've used since 1955 to maintain the tailwater gates, isn't big enough. So we placed two 10 ton chain hoist gantry's to use instead of it for maintence, until they can have a new rail crane built.

20190327_105956.jpg 20190327_112603.jpg 20190327_113513.jpg 20190327_112534.jpg

crane operator

The son's ford got some new brake rotor/ hubs and brake shoes, and I didn't even have to do them. I did give them a little check over, but it was all his project.

Went to look at some generators at a resort that they are tearing out, they want me to load out the remnants to a buyer. The thieves have already been there. They sawzalled both the radiators above the lower tanks, and had been at the generator part of one of them. I had the local rural power rep out there to talk about covering power lines to remove the one, and he said they didn't stop at the generator. They actually stole the transformer that was sitting right in front of the generator also.

The bigger one is some big v cummins. The smaller one is the cat one, its a 3412 if I remember right.

20190331_163746.jpg 20190402_102350.jpg 20190402_102303.jpg 20190402_112218.jpg

crane operator

New video board. No where to sit, I think I could have got it with the 35 ton, but I didn't have anywhere to put jib and dead stick in at. So 70 ton and full main and reached over the close side and set the sign on the far side. 20190401_103354.jpg 20190401_103414.jpg 20190401_105615.jpg 20190401_113057.jpg

crane operator

70 ton has a non rotation resistant cable on the main winch. Its been on there since I bought it, and I usually just run that winch with block, and run the rear winch with ball on. I put in my single sheave block with a two part, to set the sign, but it doesn't like it when you run out 127' main. It wants to unload itself and spool up/ twist up on itself.

I tried giving the becket a couple turns, which will usually make it stop, but ended up having to resort to a old iron worker trick. I got the block low enough, and untwisted the line, and then tied the upper part of the block to the hook, so it couldn't spin up on itself. Essentially using the load to keep the cable from twisting up.

You want to make sure then, that you don't have to spin the load, but I had like 12 twists in it when I tried to make the last pick, and then it wants to jump sheaves by the time you get the block up to the top.

You can see it kind of spun up on itself in the last picture in the post above this one. It seems like it only gets worse once it starts to want to twist. I should just bite the bullet and put 700' of rotation resistant on the big front winch, but what's on it is still good cable.

20190401_121454.jpg 20190401_121512.jpg 20190401_150925.jpg

crane operator

Gaining on the trailer redeck, I get a hour or two here and there and get some more boards down. Its maybe just a little too much like work.

I've had to order more screws, I can't estimate very well I guess.

The Mack is getting all new bushings for the s cams. The mack hasn't had the best care in its previous homes. New bushings, shafts, and adjusters. The bushings were gone, the adjusters hadn't see much grease, and the shafts were grooved from the bushing issues. The shoes had been replaced, but the old owners didn't get any more ambitious than that.

The main pivot bushings under the camel back is going to need replaced too. Its on the list, one step at a time- Work on it as it makes a little $. 20190404_165758.jpg 20190404_165810.jpg 20190404_165818.jpg 20190404_165805.jpg

Welder Dave

The son's ford got some new brake rotor/ hubs and brake shoes, and I didn't even have to do them. I did give them a little check over, but it was all his project.

Went to look at some generators at a resort that they are tearing out, they want me to load out the remnants to a buyer. The thieves have already been there. They sawzalled both the radiators above the lower tanks, and had been at the generator part of one of them. I had the local rural power rep out there to talk about covering power lines to remove the one, and he said they didn't stop at the generator. They actually stole the transformer that was sitting right in front of the generator also.

The bigger one is some big v cummins. The smaller one is the cat one, its a 3412 if I remember right.

View attachment 194852 View attachment 194853 View attachment 194854 View attachment 194855

Damn vandals, those generators don't look that old.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Vultures do tend to find the dead meat quickly. Local Hospital not far from here closed some two years ago, their generators(2) got hit four times before the skeletons got hauled off. When I worked ESL IL at Union Electric the thieves were pretty blatant. Got a call to road service for a bed spring wrapped around drive shaft, get there and the line crew were trying to align for new poles and transformers as the thieves had chain sawed the poles on a hot line, as the line fuses popped they sledge hammered the transformer lids and pulled the windings with the oil spread in the alley. They also grabbed as much wire as could cut away quick. Thinking was they were on scene less than 15 minutes.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
At least the Dog has cam brakes, last mutt I enjoyed working on was Bendix Wedge brakes. When working work good, when not they can be all manner of screwed up. We ended up busting drums to get them off as had a 1/2" of wear in and could not get the adjusters to back off. Full set of kits all four drives. Odd part was steers were near to new, did apply when stepped on brakes but could get wheel to pull through, had a make shift throw limiter in the brake chambers kept them from doing much at all, we left them in and replaced diaphrams.

Natman

As a Mack driver, I had to laugh when I heard the term "mutt!" I had already heard the Mack joke about "how do you like driving around looking at a dogs butt hole all day?" I will heretofore refer to my 30 ton national as the Mutt.

Knepptune

Looks like that poor breaker bar has seen a cheater pipe or two.

Had to point that out. I can’t get one to bend like that. I always seem to sheer the drive end clean off. The answer for me was a 1’ to 3/4 impact adaptor welded to an 8’ pipe. Heavy sob but it never even acted like it was come loose.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Must be something in the air....I’m doing brakes on the lowboy. Shoes, drums, seals, bearings, cam bushings you name it. Did I mention brakes aren’t my favorite thing to do.....

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Must be them Brake lining and Iron termites or grease worms, do a hell of a job on S-cams and bushings too!!

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I had the pleasure of meeting crane operator last night. He & Mrs crane operator were traveling through the area. We met them for supper (thats dinner for you yankees) and hung out a while. They followed me to the office this morning and we talked cranes a while and kicked some tires. Like me he married up. It was a nice visit. He is exactly the same in life as he is online. It was truly a pleasure.

If you feel the need to fight him, bring backup. He is good size fella.

crane operator

I had the pleasure of meeting crane operator last night. He & Mrs crane operator were traveling through the area. We met them for supper (thats dinner for you yankees) and hung out a while. They followed me to the office this morning and we talked cranes a while and kicked some tires. Like me he married up. It was a nice visit. He is exactly the same in life as he is online. It was truly a pleasure.

If you feel the need to fight him, bring backup. He is good size fella.
Couldn’t agree more! He’s handy in a bar fight! Haha

Shoot- you boys just stopped growing up. That, or my upbringing required a lot more positive reinforcement treatment, to my lower rear area, encouraging my upward growth.

A big thank you to Impact for the hospitality. We had a wonderful time visiting, and I think I'm still full from supper. Its a pleasure putting faces and places to people you've met online.

Its nice to converse with people in a similar situations to your own, and use as a sounding board for issues- and success and failures that we all face and have.

Impact and Junkyard are both great guys that I've had the privilege of meeting. There's a lot to be said, for the pleasure of having strangers become friends.

crane operator

Steel beams the afternoon after the AC unit. Jib twice a day makes me wish for a little more main boom. I was okay on main for the steel, but the framers wanted a beam set "just swing right over here". Jib and another 50' of radius :rolleyes:.

20190405_130534.jpg 20190405_130535.jpg 20190405_132045.jpg 20190405_135021.jpg