• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

crane operator

Hmm. What was that about swinging over the side with no outriggers out? not a good idea with the boom all the way up.

This one was on a dock and it went over backwards, lucky for the operator it caught on a boat or he would have been in the water with the crane on top of him.

link belt 90 ton over backwards 1.jpg link belt 90 ton over backwards 2.jpg link belt 90 ton over backwards 3.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That's not bad I'm sure it will buff out!

I would have to admit that I might never have thought about there being a problem swinging with boom all the way up with not outriggers in place. But then that is why I was a mechanic and not a crane operator!

But for a crane operator to not be aware of some thing as basic as that is not a good thing

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Scary. See it on the street where newbie operators get a little too big for their britches and just miss being an example of stupidity. Saw a fella with boom well extended decide not to boom back and winch up prior but to just boom down to move load out, raised his outer outriggers off the pads, managed to get the materials on the building just as started to tip and before met that tipple point and the crane settled back but certain he had to go change his shorts after. Heard the kid was year and a half out of Operator School. Cranes always instilled the fear or wrath of stupid in me, outriggers always at full out and tight down, on pads, and never exceed or even challenge any designated criteria the owner or true operator warned me of.

crane operator

Pesky dock. We had a big wind storm in December that damaged this dock and a couple others, it kind of rammed it toward shore and bent up the leg connections. I brought the 70 ton down, to see if we could lift on section #1 enough to get the legs to fall down and get straight.

After about 18,000 lbs, I was up about 12" out of the water, but I was out of chart and gaining a bunch of weight from section #2 which was coming out of the water with it. I did have them strip the concrete steps, but that only got another 4-5". 20190225_110825.jpg 20190225_111757.jpg 20190225_111943.jpg 20190225_114613.jpg

crane operator

Called a guy I know to bring in a little help. Tandem pick with a barge. The barge was clear on the other side of the lake, so we met him the next afternoon back at the dock.

With him picking on section #2, and me on #1, we were able to get the height we needed, drug the legs around square and loosened the cables on the dock enough to move it back to where it needed to be.

20190226_123630.jpg 20190226_130327.jpg 20190226_131630.jpg 20190226_133832.jpg

crane operator

Got my billboard head set. It ended up being heavier than I thought it would be, 19,700lbs. I like a nice still morning for setting them with the faces on them, because they will catch a bunch of wind. I'm glad I didn't build it another 5' away from the pole, I had all I wanted getting it off the ground.

20190226_094736.jpg 20190226_100009.jpg 20190226_103537.jpg 20190226_103658.jpg

crane operator

Trusses. I work for this framer a lot, and this is his own house. I get there, and its 84' deep, and no way to get on either side, have to start at the back and work toward the front. Jib and stinger to the rescue. I set the first third or so, and pulled jib and stinger out while they were bracing. I got there about 9:00, and was headed home before 12:00, he doesn't mess around.

It was a mudhole beside the house on both sides, and I felt bad for the tag line man, he was a trooper though and slogged through it.

20190227_092517.jpg 20190227_092519.jpg 20190227_113842.jpg 20190227_113906.jpg

crane operator

Been kind of cloudy rainy sleety here the last week or so. They're talking a little snow maybe sunday. This is the road out to the house we set trusses for, they can't afford yellow paint, and really the road isn't wide enough for two lanes anyways.

20190227_120544.jpg 20190227_120551.jpg 20190227_120845.jpg

crane operator

Oh yeah, I can reach that unit, and I wasn't feeling much like jib down in the spot I was in, the old grove don't mind laying down flat.

I went and helped the operator tear down the Mack in the rain later that day. He'd been out building and setting this video board.

I think it was like 7,800lbs. 20190227_140239.jpg 20190227_160019.jpg 20190227_162236.jpg 20190227_162243.jpg

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Called a guy I know to bring in a little help. Tandem pick with a barge. The barge was clear on the other side of the lake, so we met him the next afternoon back at the dock.

With him picking on section #2, and me on #1, we were able to get the height we needed, drug the legs around square and loosened the cables on the dock enough to move it back to where it needed to be.

View attachment 193424 View attachment 193425 View attachment 193426 View attachment 193427
Like the snatch blocks, I don’t think I’ve ever seen pictures of yours that showed you using them. I love them and use them every chance I get, they take a lot of stress off objects that need to be stood up, I learned fast when not to use them things go to sh!t real fast with an unbalanced load.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Modot has been pretty dumb or has some pretty dumb individuals working these days. Painted lines on a Section of MO 100, was paved too narrow so had been overpaved across the shoulder, painted lines accordingly and now the weak shoulder area is self destructing

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
As far as painting over dead animals/stuff in the road, I know a guy who does that, his comment is that painting lines is a "big picture" kind of job.

You don't stop a $xxx,xxx truck travelling at 40+ mph costing $xxx per hour to operate, because of some dead raccoon that will make you miss 10" out of a 20 mile job. Likely being painted over a white line that is already present, the job of the day is just to improve it.

Odds are the next time they paint in a couple years, the dead raccoon/cow pies will be in different spots, and the car drivers will still know what to do if a couple inches gets missed.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I would`nt bet on that last line
When I first read that comment I was thinking it was about a "line" Crane Operator had hooked to something he was lifting! Then I scrolled back to see what the problem with it was and saw the one about car drivers and then it made more sense!

Not always good to jump to end of a long thread and start reading!

crane operator

Like the snatch blocks, I don’t think I’ve ever seen pictures of yours that showed you using them.

I've got a bunch at the shop. Its just really rare that I can't do the same thing by just putting a nylon or steel choker, basketed through a shackle. In this occasion, I needed to hook in two spots and knew the angle relation would be changing, as we went up and down a bunch of times. So snatch block it is. Most of the stuff I end up picking up doesn't have to change relation as its being picked.

For trusses off the spreader in a 4 point, I'd rather do a nylon or steel through a shackle because then it isn't constantly rolling back and forth all the way, I hate it when they take one line off, and it rolls all the way over and smacks someone. And then its all the way up at the block and you have to pull it back over to hook the next one up. When you come off the load with a nylon basketed, it will kind of hang where it needs too for the next one.

Most of the tanks I stand, I'll just 4 point pick them and let 2 carry it when starting up, they end up hanging level, where as if you have a block, if there's a ladder and hatches on one side they will hang all wonky.

And for lifting skids and such, they are too often out of balance, so putting in snatch blocks may even out the tension on the cables, but you don't have any way to hold it level. 4 even sized chokers, and you can add and subtract shackles or even roundups and get a skid to hang halfway straight. They don't have to roll once you have them up.

Mine mostly just lay at the shop. Probably the guys that use snatch blocks the most, are guys standing up tilt up concrete panels, that's the only way to keep from destroying them. But the pour in place tilt ups are really too big for the equipment I have, that's mostly crawler or truck lattice territory.