• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I was tootling along in the 25 friday morning and I came across a blown out tire on the road. Thinking it couldn't be one of my guys, because he had a longer job than mine and I was sure I'd beat him home. No such luck, it was the other 25. After changing the tire, we went back up the road to get the big pieces off the highway, I first found the hammer, a old estwing, then right where the blow out happened, the crowbar. I think the front drive tire flipped the crowbar up, then it blew out the back drive running over it. Expensive crowbar for me.

But my day wasn't as bad as the guys with the manlift. They got a little close to a new retaining wall, and sunk it in 3' or so, axles and all. I'm sure the double wrecker's weren't cheap.

View attachment 171201 View attachment 171202 View attachment 171203 View attachment 171204
Karma's a bitch. Remember how you where running down " nail benders" I think maybe the set a trap for you. :cool:

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I was tootling along in the 25 friday morning and I came across a blown out tire on the road. Thinking it couldn't be one of my guys, because he had a longer job than mine and I was sure I'd beat him home. No such luck, it was the other 25. After changing the tire, we went back up the road to get the big pieces off the highway, I first found the hammer, a old estwing, then right where the blow out happened, the crowbar. I think the front drive tire flipped the crowbar up, then it blew out the back drive running over it. Expensive crowbar for me.

But my day wasn't as bad as the guys with the manlift. They got a little close to a new retaining wall, and sunk it in 3' or so, axles and all. I'm sure the double wrecker's weren't cheap.

View attachment 171201 View attachment 171202 View attachment 171203 View attachment 171204
Karma is a bitch. Remember how you were running down "nail benders" I think maybe they set a trap for you.

crane operator

Oh-- its done nothing but raise the esteem that I hold for my wood butchering brethren......

But did you have to tell me twice?:)

crane operator

Oh- its been warm here, I've got the a/c's mounted up, but I've mostly been in the shop lately, just some little jobs here and there. Rt is back together, have only shop run, it really needs to go on a job to make sure we've got it.

Western star isn't fixed yet, ecm is headed to get checked out tomorrow.

One of the 8.3 in my 25 has developed a miss, I think its a injector.

And I've been playing around with tires. I am not a fast tire changer, but it seems like in the time it takes me to load them up, haul them to the tire shop, then go back and get them after they're mounted, I can just as well change them myself. I've also decided I'm done with caps on the last crane that has any on it. New caps are running me 250, I can buy new chinese drives for under $300, hankook or similar (better tire) for $360/ tire. (drives)

It seems like the carcasses that I get anymore from the retreaders arent any good, and they don't hold up. The two "new" drives I just mounted on the western star are actually regrooves.

20170710_155533.jpg 20170710_165224.jpg

crane operator

Big old thunderhead, hot afternoons sometimes make these showers pop up. This is from the gate by the shop as I was locking up tonight.

20170712_172753.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I can say a lot about tires, but the main thing is when you air them back up, make sure you use a clip on chuck and have the tire caged or located so that if it decides to let go it will not kill anybody.

crane operator

Went and set up the rt with jib on this morning, think I have the detroit in my western star sorted out, but I already had someone else scheduled to haul it, so I didn't cancel and just had him haul it. I need to test out the detroit a little before I'm comfortable loading it up.

20170714_085024.jpg
20170714_085033.jpg

After setting the rt up and turning a operator loose to set trusses, I was set to take out the 35 for some manbasket work, went for a little walkaround before leaving. Yep, hot weather seems to have taken out a tube on a steer. Pull out the ratchet and change tube and tire (I'm not sure where the leak was, I just wanted to get to the job). Ended up being a hour late. Not quite nascar tire change, but then nascar isn't what it used to be either. I try to keep a spare tire around for everything I have, but I don't have spare rims for everything. I think I would still rather do dayton's with 20" and a tube, than budd's with lo pro tires.

20170714_121013.jpg
20170714_132220.jpg

crane operator

After fixing the transmission in the parking lot this morning. I'm not on the road, its in a abandoned kmart parking lot. Its hard to shift, steer and hold the phone.

crane operator

I can say a lot about tires, but the main thing is when you air them back up, make sure you use a clip on chuck and have the tire caged or located so that if it decides to let go it will not kill anybody.

I can't remember the last time that I saw anyone roll a tire into their cage at a truck tire shop. They all have a cage at their shop, I just never see anyone use it. That and when you're on the side of the road, there's not a lot of cages around.

I'm not saying cages are a bad deal, its just I never see many guys actually using them.

Just out of curiosity, what's the "approved" cage for big crane AT tires, or loader tires on like a 988 etc. ? I haven't seen a cage that will handle them. I don't think even one of my 14.00r20's will fit in a regular cage.

crane operator

They are almost done with the 70 ton crane on the big building we've been working on, on and off, for a couple years now. They're getting some siding on, and have almost all of the roof on. It's been a slow/ long job, but I think it will look ok when they're done.

20170713_191620.jpg 20170713_191841.jpg 20170713_192220.jpg 20170713_192356.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
What I was trying to say is if you have no cage, then use a long clip on hose and stand well clear of the blast zone. Some people like to slide them under the truck or keep them bolted to the hub so that the wheel can't go flying.

It only takes a few dollars in parts to keep your body out of the way.

A long time friend of mine was killed dead changing a regular truck tire out on the interstate one day when it let go on him. He was a good tire man but he must have not taken precautions that time.

crane operator

I do the clip on thing, and have a place in the shop I can roll them between a wall and a heavy bench, and I stay out of the blast zone. On the road I will mount them before finishing airing them up. Sorry for the loss of your friend, a lot of people don't understand the forces involved, unless they've been around a blowout. I don't like messing around with tires when they're hot from traveling either, I like things cool.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just out of curiosity, what's the "approved" cage for big crane AT tires, or loader tires on like a 988 etc. ? I haven't seen a cage that will handle them. I don't think even one of my 14.00r20's will fit in a regular cage.

Agree the stand off option is about all one can use on those big tires.

Several years ago a county or town highway department had a smaller loader, one a bit smaller than a 966D that had a tire with a slow leak. They had to air it up every couple of days. Operator was being safe and using a stand off and was, according to all reports, standing behind machine and about six feet from the tire. As it was getting up to pressure the thread split down the middle and the only thing that hit the operator was the air blast, no tire chunks or wheel parts. Still that was enough to kill the guy!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I've just seen so many guys lean right over the tire while airing it up with one of those $2 air chuck things. Trouble is you can air up a tire that way hundreds of times with no events. But it just takes that one time.

Tire industry association says something like a tire that has been run with low air more than a few miles needs to be dismounted, inspected inside, then reinflated in a cage or safe manner treating it like it is a bomb. Might be a little overkill but I treat every tire like that seeing as how you never really know what the casing has been through.

It is amazing to me that tires last at all with thousands of miles of dirt road at high speed with potholes and cobbles as big as your fist just banging away day after day.

Natman

My sometime employee Frank lost his father when a big tire blew at the tire shop he was employed at. It happened when Frank and his 3 brothers and 1 sister were all little kids, and it didn't kill his father outright but put him in a coma for....around 20 years, he finally checked out 2 years ago. You can imagine the strain this put on all of them including his mother, so yes, be careful around those big tires.

GrainBinMan

Agree the stand off option is about all one can use on those big tires.

Several years ago a county or town highway department had a smaller loader, one a bit smaller than a 966D that had a tire with a slow leak. They had to air it up every couple of days. Operator was being safe and using a stand off and was, according to all reports, standing behind machine and about six feet from the tire. As it was getting up to pressure the thread split down the middle and the only thing that hit the operator was the air blast, no tire chunks or wheel parts. Still that was enough to kill the guy!

There was two young men killed near here on Monday when a big flotation tire on a manure spreader blew up on them. I don't know if a cage would have saved them, because the blast of air is what threw them.

http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news...cial&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share