• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just some work pics

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Sounds like some of my home improvement....spent half the day putting knobs and pulls on the kitchen cabinets. Still have bathroom and laundry room. It's funny to watch somebody that doesn't read a tape measure very often try to subtract or take half of a fraction......good thing she marked in pencil :)

Knepptune

Me and my wife do not work together on home projects. Either she does it or I do it. Putting IKEA furniture together dang near caused a divorce before we even got married.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Anytime I have to assemle anything that comes "flat in a box", it either gets moved to the shop or everyone leaves the property.......
Two years ago it was the granddaughters doll house.......that sucker took a 30 pack over 2 late nights...

Ed

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I despise the holidays for that reason. With two boys under 8 years old we get lots of stuff "some assembly required" and the mrs seems to wait until Xmas eve to spring that on me......

td25c

Neither one of you probably ever assembled a barbie house on christmas morning correctly, have you?

Speaking of plans- had to install a new dining room light, I cut open the box pull out the parts, and start putting the light together. Wife stomps in (she's already on edge because I'm doing a house project- I never do house projects), digs out the instructions and wants to know why I'm not following them. I'm thinking "YOU didn't come with any instruction booklet or a parts list" but I kept my mouth shut.

Instead the project went south, due to my 16 year old son. I started in the room by myself, shut the old light fixture off, unwired and removed it. My son was in the other room, where I laid the unwired, old light fixture. He asked what I was doing, I told him, and went back to work. He- two minutes later- walked into the room, and flipped the light switch up and down. Multiple times in a split moment.

I proceed to loose my normal calm demeanor "WHAT are you doing, I turned the light off so I could unwire it- You saw me bring the old light into the other room, and ASKED what I was doing. Now I've got a set of bare wires hanging from the ceiling, no idea whether they are hot or not now. WHART IN BLUE BLAZES WAS YOU THINKING BOY....."

Wife proceeds to tee up on me "you didn't shut the breaker off? Why didn't you shut the breaker off? it says in the instructions to shut the breaker off. It's not his fault you didn't follow the directions. Don't be mad at him, you were cutting corners"....etc, etc.

]

Dining room light fixture looks great Crane Op !

I did a couple of ceiling fans over the weekend . First thing is gorilla tape over the switch covers so when the rug rats come in the room & try flip on the juice while the old man is stripping the new wire connections :eek:

Then the wife comes in with the instructions while I'm working ...........

At this point I remind her that Women got liberated back in the early 1970's .
Now that we are all equal I can continue the installation or she could take over & I will move on to another project .:)
She stomped out of the room & I finished the fan install . LOL!:D

crane operator

Trusses the last two days. One is a indoor pool building. The other one's just a house. And for those of us in the know- yes- the sun was right in my eyes both days.
20170605_091056.jpg 20170605_091100.jpg 20170605_091122.jpg 20170605_092320.jpg

crane operator

Of course there wasn't much room to set up in, or put jib in, but we got it done. These are the framers that like to put they're plywood up on the walls.

20170606_082501.jpg 20170606_094507.jpg 20170606_094722.jpg 20170606_105910.jpg

crane operator

Dump truck driver that wasn't having the best day. He was unloading rock at the steel job I was on all weekend. Unloading on a sidehill with those big trucks isn't very fun. Driver was ok.

Last two pictures are from a car dealership that had some cars get washed down the creek with a flash flood last week. We had 5 inches in about a hour, it flooded several resturants on this creek, and washed out my road. They had to take a backhoe down the creek to drag these two cars back up. One I think was a suburban, the other a dodge truck. Wasn't much left of either.
20170606_132335.jpg 20170606_132422.jpg 20170606_142828.jpg 20170606_142825.jpg

crane operator

This little mountain coaster ride is on the same creek, the trees being washed down the creek hit it pretty hard and took down the bases and all. I don't think they're footers were nearly deep, or big enough for being in the creek bed. But I'm not the engineer. They at least could have dug down to rock and anchored to that.

20170604_105326.jpg 20170604_105332.jpg 20170604_105505.jpg 20170604_105104.jpg

crane operator

Crane Op ... That's a crazy roof line. Looks like the two lower roofs will direct the rain into the center. Must have a huge rain water system planned... or a hydro electric plant some where.

ALL the water from that whole roof will end up in the lowest tier, funneled to the center of the building. They better have some big gutters, or everyone standing in there in a rain, is going to get soaked. Engineers and architects :rolleyes:. I'm sure it looks great on paper...

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Engineers and architects :rolleyes:. I'm sure it looks great on paper...

You know that is almost what the company engineer told my brother back when he worked at the quarry in 1967! I believe my brother was somewhat complaining about all the shoveling he had to do under parts of the then new portable plant at the then new quarry. When the engineer took him to task for what he said brother was told that it was a "spillage free plant". Brother then said "Why am I doing so much shoveling?" Engineer replied, "Well it worked on paper!"

Fifty years later and a second "new plant" and there are still piles of stone all over the place, at least now they have two or three skid-steers to do some of the work!

crane operator

Why did the dump truck go over? It's on level blacktop.

Pictures are kind of goofy when you're trying to see slope. You can see the hotel in the background, and a foundation in the other picture, and that gives you a little idea of the slope. It's actually not flat at all. It's steep enough, that you go to the lower lot and turn around to come back out of there. You'd have a tough time loaded, to get started, where he's sitting at, its that steep.

It helps to see how steep it is, if you turn your monitor until the hotel is level:).

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Those dump trailers can be tricky. We had one that fell over out in the quarry when being tested after being hooked to a truck. Ground was solid bed rock and flat as you could see by eye. This trailer I believe was a little rusty on the inside and the crusher run might have been a bit on the damp side and probably a little off center.

Seems like around here the majority of the trailers I see these days are those with the built in conveyor systems to dump load. A bit better for use when paving as less chance of taking down overhead wires while dumping in to paver!

crane operator

Right down on the creek this week. Was beautiful, fixing a old crossing with new culverts. They made me a little pad for me to set the crane on.

We transfered the sections from the trailers to the counties little trucks to get down to the site.

20170608_095801.jpg 20170608_095806.jpg 20170608_095809.jpg 20170608_103352.jpg