• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

just got....promoted?

curly

Occupation
loader operator
I don't know but just the same I now run the jaw crusher instead of wheel loader. It's an old pioneer that got converted to a side discharge and it's a pretty dang good crusher. A couple questions though, we have been running some mud through so I have to clean the feed plate off every now and again and well the vibration makes it easier but it shakes the holy hell out of me! Any other easier ways to keep material flowing smooth? Oh and my right hand is falling asleep real easy now, any correlation with the vibes?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
IF you can, try to mix or stagger the muddy loads with some boney material or just rock. It should help self clean. Is it begin charged by a loader/hoe or trucks? That's the only thing (other then just letting it dry first, not always practical) that I can think of.

As far as numbness, no clue...

curly

Occupation
loader operator
Thanks for the tip. It's fed from a 988 and unfortunately it usually works out that he has dry stuff mixed with the mud, or just found today clay that looks like asphalt! I have found that if the deck is getting packed letting it run empty it will eventually let some little pebbles in underneath and just plow it up.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
A bucket of tailings now and again would help maybe.I generally find that rerunning the tailings is something that we do anyway when we can and it might be a help to you.Ron G

imabigdave

Hand falling asleep

Your hand falling asleep may be median nerve damage from the vibration. Also called carpal tunnel syndrome, which can also come from repetitive motion. Common injury from running vibrating equipment like chainsaws. Caused by inflamation of the canal through the bony stuctures in the underside of your wrist that has a variety of tendons that connect the muscles in your forearm to your fingers. There are a variety of treatments if you catch it early, from braces to anti-inflamatories, but if you ignore it you'll be stuck with surgery. I ignored mine and now both my hands will fall asleep when I'm riding my motorcycle, run equipment, chainsaw, or when I'm asleep. Scheduled for surgery in a few months when I can afford the time off.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I will strongly advice you to bee very carefull with that vibration.
My father in law has his back, shoulders, arms and hands destroyed by airpowered drills vibrating to much.
He went out of business at the adge of 50...

Has had his hands cut open to free up more space for the nerves and tendons...
He is eating pain killers on a regulary basis.

Over here there is a spesific regulation on hand and body vibration.
Many of the old drills are now banned because of this.
Thats also why the produsers tell us how much vibration we are recieving when we operate machinery...
And u tell us u have your self/parts of your body in contact with a vibrating feeder??

curly

Occupation
loader operator
Yup, did it the first day and I won't set foot on that dang thing again unless it's off. My hand is doing much better but my left heel hurts like a SOB when I walk or stand on it. Spend alot of the day now with my left foot dangling or sticking out the window, wherever it hurts less. Heck of a way to learn but that's what I get for not stopping to think about the strength of the vibrations, I was focused on making the job easier and not necessarily thinking of the safety issues.

KevD815

MKTEF, my dad had the same operation to open up some space for his tendons. Luckily it worked really well but now he needs to get the other wrist done. Gotta watch them vibes.

surfer-joe

I had carpal tunnel surgery back in 1977. Went to work in a bush garage in northern Ontario a week later with 13 stainless steel stitches in my right hand. I cut them out myself after ten days. This surgery scared the left hand so bad that it quit acting up and I haven't had any trouble with it untill the arthritis set in back in 2001. Vibration is the cause, shifters, control levers, air tools, all will cause this and some people are more susceptible than others.

There is also a condition known as "Compartment Syndrome" in which the muscles and tendons, etc., are too small for the space allotted to them in the bones. They pinch off the nerves and then you have pain and no strength. This one can be genetic.

For the foot, that may be "Plantar Facitis," an arthritic condition in the heel area. Some special exercises can help, as can staying the hell off the foot. Medical world not sure what causes this, just that it appears to be a form of arthritis.

Northart

Sore heel ?

I had a real painful sore heel, got so I could barely walk.

Went to the Doc, he called it " Planters Facita " , told me to buy some good arch supports and wear them. I had been wearing some Caterpillar boots made in "China" .

Went back to wearing Red Wings, :usa don't care how much they cost now, since that episode of sore heel.

That was the cure for me. Pain subsided in a few weeks , then altogether. Been wearing arch supports since. :usa

nedly05

My father had plantar facita, and another friend of his/mine had it also, two of the toughest men I have ever met were reduced to puddles at times from it. My father started wearing orthotics and better shoes and hasnt had anymore trouble.

Curly, the only advice I can offer you in a crushing operation is GO BACK TO THE LOADER!!!! lol jk, I remember when we were crushing watching the operator bounce all over and thinking how much i love the loader!!!