• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just bought a used JCB backhoe.

Delmer

I ran it the other day for about 3 hours doing some brush clearing/burying min 70 degree weather.. I noticed that the water in the overflow tank was bubbling even though it still was running. So it is running hot even when running. There is no easy way to view the inner radiator rods. How do you measure temperature at the top and bottom? My guess is that you use a thermal gun on the hoses and radiator?? I have high pressure hosed the rad and can see thru it and the other cooler on front, and the fan does seem to turn, and the water pump is new. Most gauges on this old beast are non-functional, I may have to add another water temperature on the lower radiator hose.

Thanks again all for you help. JoeR

Yes, a temp gun on the radiator hoses, or the thermostat and water pump, just compare rubber to rubber or cast iron to cast iron, don't trust it on bare metal (reflectivity/emmissivity). Use the temp gun on the top of the head if the gauge doesn't work.

The bubbling from a bad head/gasket is a separate issue from overheating. If the pressure blows enough water out, it will overheat, but if it bubbles before it overheats that's leaking compression. Again it could be both, or either causing the other.

Are you running antifreeze or straight water at this point? flushed it yet? to backflush, I like to remove both hoses and the cap, stuff a rag in the bottom hole around a garden hose and air blow gun, run it till the water overflows and give it a shot of air, repeat until the water runs clear. If it's really plugged you might blow a seam doing this, so start with little shots of air.

Did you put a new belt on it with the pump? Tensioned right?

joerauh

I will do your list one by one... please give me a few days. I appreciate the guidance. Buying a heat gun first, I think it will have the best diagnosis power at this time.
No I did not put a new belt on the new pump. I noticed it is at it's max adjustment so that may be another think to quickly add.
Many Many thanks! JoeR

joerauh

Figured out what tyhe heating problem was...

I worked on a 1400b and they look different but the running gear may have interchangeable parts i have a manual
Well, finally figured out what the heating problem was....
Apparently when I installed the first water pump, the key was not in correctly, so the pulley was spinning but the water pump was not. Finally discovered it when the pulley started wobbling. Had to replace the pulley and new water pump. Seems to cool now. Thanks all for your help. It still will overheat on a hot day but nothing like before. Do you know that JCB wants $2000 for a new radiator? Here in California, it's hard to find a radiator shop that will redo rads like they used to. Most shops just try to sell you a new one. I guess all those California environmental regulations are slowly killing us. JoeR

PKD62

Bought a JCB backhoe owner told me it was a 1400b turns out it's a 3cx 4in1 bucket,4x4 sitemaster. everything is leaking. there's oil coming out where pump is but i can't see any leaks. extendahoe is leaking from inside the boom dripping out through hole. Boom swing doesn't stay put it swing to left on its on so i'm thinking valve block is bad there's play in the valve. hoe bucket leaks down. Hoe fitting is lose and leaking. King Boom falls down in 20 seconds. One brake master cylinder is empty and i don't know what kind of fluid it takes it says iso vg15. turbo exhaust housing is cracked. I'm thinking i have a $9000 dollar paper weight.

Does Anyone here have any knowledge about old JCB bachoes? Is a 1400b and a 3cx sitemaster the same machine except for the extras?

any help is appreciated,

Thanks,Brett
I bought a 1990 beater 1400b with leaks etc. theres a guy out of maine that sells the entire set of cylinder reseal kit on ebay that for $400. The control valves should be rebuildable with correct O-rings, dont use rubber o rings. Hoses are the most expensive, they’re British fittings and some specific to the model are also available on ebay seller all_backhoe_parts and have the serial number ready when buying, they are very helpful at getting you the right part. YouTube is also very helpful. I also overpaid for mine but save alot of money doing it myself, dont forget the huge harbor freight crescent wrench for under fifty bucks to open the cylinder’s up. Take care and good luck