• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I can’t explain it but I’ll report it. I went back today and worked on the engine. I checked My wiring to the sensor and it all checked out. I remover the sensor and put a test fitting in to check what my actual iap pressure was. With the sensor out and unplugged the iap pressure was well over 3000. Hmm. I plugged in the sensor and and tried again. This time it read around 900. thought it was weird so I did it again to make sure I hadn’t finally lost my mind and it did the same. so I reinstalled the sensor and put the pressure fitting in the other head. I hit the key and I’ll be damned it started and ran. ET still read that I had 250 psi with the engine off but it did read pressure while it was running. All I can think is that i may have a broken wire somewhere and with all my screwing around I made a contact somehow. We’ll see What happens. The tub needs a pile of work and the customer just wanted to see if I could get it running.
I've seen cases before where sensors designed to read quite high pressures, like the IAP which IIRC is designed for pressures up to 10k psi, can be wildly inaccurate at the low end of the scale because it's outside their designed "comfort zone". A particular P/N of pressure sensor on mining equipment autolube system springs to mind but there were others as well. Could never get them to read zero or anywhere close to it when there was no pressure in the line.

Apologies for steering you wrong regarding the pump drive but when you said the engine just quit it was the first thought that sprung into my head.

mekanik

Are steering wheel holders getting dumber? Is that even possible? A manager from one of our customers phoned and said they were having a truck towed to our shop there is something wrong with the engine. Its a late 2000's Navistar 4000 series with a Maxxfarce 7 the small V8. The tow truck driver told me he had to start it to move it to hook up the tow truck. He said "Its really loud". I had the tow truck driver back the truck into the shop. I slid under the truck and from the engine back everything is black covered in carbon. Poking around I found the tube that connects the right exhaust manifold to the turbo had broken off at the manifold creating a major exhaust leak. The bolts in the back of the manifold were seized and I managed to break one so I said F-It a new manifold.
5zhhZvN.jpg

While under the truck I noticed there was a leak from the firewall on the driver's side. The sniff test identified it as brake fluid. The right door and fender and fuel tank were also black with carbon so this didn't just happen. The cab stunk of exhaust. I took a paper towel and wiped the inside of the windshield and it was covered in black. I'm wondering if the driver was poisoned by the exhaust and died so they had to have it towed.
I found the pre-trip book in the cab and the driver never made any entries about the exhaust leak or the brake fluid leak. He did note that there were a couple chips in the windshield and the windshield washer was not working.
I wonder why the windshield washer doesn't work?
DMObKvR.jpg

The truck has Meritor Wabco full pressure brakes and the fluid was leaking from the switch at the bottom of the master cylinder at the mounting flange. I believe the brake light switch. So the master cylinder seals are likely the culprit. There was a four litre container of brake fluid in the cab that was half full. so I suspect it had been leaking for a while. Here in Canada any brake fluid leak put the truck out of service.
We share the roads with thses people. A scary thought.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Well I’m in Valdosta, Georgia doing an inspection on a timberpro tl745d for one of my old customers from Maine. They wanted someone they trusted to look at it so I threw out a price and they bit. I’ve never done this before but it’s worked out pretty well. Maybe another service to offer? Oh and I’m going to toot my own horn. Today marks 4 years of self employment. Toot toot!!!

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Well I’m in Valdosta, Georgia doing an inspection on a timberpro tl745d for one of my old customers from Maine. They wanted someone they trusted to look at it so I threw out a price and they bit. I’ve never done this before but it’s worked out pretty well. Maybe another service to offer? Oh and I’m going to toot my own horn. Today marks 4 years of self employment. Toot toot!!!
Congrats, Mike. Good to hear. I like hearing your stories. I’m just starting my 4th year of self employment.

Mike L

Occupation
No good pictures but I figured I’d update the thread. New customer called me yesterday and said he had a tigercat loader with no hydraulics. He replaced the pilot pump and pilot solenoid but still had nothing. I figured it was just the armrest switch or something simple. Drove 87 miles one way to let him know that it was low on hydraulic oil. Like 35 gallons low. I’m sure his new pilot pump is going to have a short life. Another new guy called me yesterday afternoon. Lost the pump drive coupler in a barko loader. I said sure I’ll do it but it will be a couple days. Nope. He wanted it done yesterday. I’m not exaggerating. Said he’d find someone else. I mean for the love of Nancy! did he think I was at home watching the days of our lives? I don’t even know him and he expected me to drop what I was doing and run for him. Good luck to ya buddy!

crane operator

I try not to get too bent out of shape with the guys who want it "yesterday". My phone number was available last thursday and they could have called then, instead of today.

Some guys- everything is a emergency. I try to be straight with shops on if I'm in a hurry or not. If I have a driveline that needs fixed- and I'm on the side of the road, that's a whole different thing than if its in the shop or in a parking lot that I don't have to get it out of.

Not everything is a emergency.

Mike L

Occupation
I don’t get too worked up about these guys but one thing I’ve noticed down here in Texas is that everyone complains about a lack of mechanics but nobody has any patience. Heat index is well over 100 every day and I’ve still got some thick yankee blood in me. I’m not killing myself for anyone. Another thing I’ve noticed is that people aren’t shy about asking for free info. Had a guy call me last week on a cat 320 with some weird hydraulic issue. Someone else couldn’t diagnose it and he wanted to know how I was going to fix it. I told him the truth. I’d start from square one. I have no idea what the other guy had or hadn’t done. He didn’t like that answer And said he’d keep looking. works for me. I don’t need customers like that. Too many good ones to bother with the bad ones.

hosspuller

Mike L ... Fast is Expensive. Fedex created an industry out of that. He wants Fast. You determine how Expensive.

I get backhoe parts from my local Deere dealer. It's a hobby machine so I wait on regular parts delivery for no shipping charges. Yet, dealer can expedite parts in a few hours for a (to me) a very high shipping price. A cheap price if a multi million dollar project is halted for a part.

Last edited:

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Had a guy call me last week on a cat 320 with some weird hydraulic issue. Someone else couldn’t diagnose it and he wanted to know how I was going to fix it.

What does a guy like that want? Maybe he would have liked it better if you told him it needed the pump for 20k . . .

Mike L

Occupation
He wanted free answers and I’m fresh out of them. His first question was how much I charged and his second question was how are you going to fix it? Even if I knew what was wrong I wouldn’t just tell him. thats a quick way to put myself out of business.

joe--h

When I first started my business I put an ad in the yellow pages.

After awhile it became obvious who called from the ad, first questions was "How much to.........."

One year of that and never again. Word of mouth is all it takes, and actually it seemed the bigger ads were from thieves. Bigger the ad the worse they were.

Joe H

Mike L

Occupation
I’ve been in Texas since October of last year and I’m already weeding out the slow pay no pay customers. I’ve got a handful of good customers and I’m more than willing to offer suggestions if I‘m too busy to get to them in a reasonable amount of time.