• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just another day in paradise

mekanik

I picked this up off a government disposal site for $121 delivered to my door. I have used it a few times
it was well worth the money. I was even able to find the manuals for it on line.
I suspect it was several thousand dollars new in the mid 1980s.

yRszco9.jpg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I lug around analog CRT oscopes too. I am still waiting for somebody to show me a hand held battery powered version that does what I want and that I can afford. Some of the Chinese stuff maybe, but just not sure yet. I too enjoy the instantaneous response of the good ole CRT.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I've heard good things about the Dan Sullivan book, and like you, I'm not great with electrical. I can handle 12 and 24, and on and off, but a lot of the new stuff is into canbus and when I get into boards I'm a little lost.

This is the book they are talking about, and I just ordered one, with the tester, figuring I could read it in my spare time, and give it to my young mechanic. At $80 it only has to save me on one repair to pay for itself.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Specialties-181-Fundamental-Troubleshooting/dp/B004IKO09K/ref=sr_1_2?crid=QRRFBEM0P8TS&keywords=equipment+electrical+troubleshooting+tester+book&qid=1670780388&sprefix=equipment+electrical+troubleshooting+tester+book,aps,107&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

that is a great book and it’s well worth the price. I still look at it from time to time. Electrical is not my strongest area so I’m always looking to get better at it

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I would say that electrical is definitely my strongest area and I thought the book was great. Really solidified all the ideas I have developed over the years (because nobody seemed good at teaching it) and taught me some new things, and also helps me teach it, if anyone will sit still long enough to listen.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I’ve never had anyone actually sit down with me and teach me to read schematics. I’ve read his book and watched countless YouTube videos trying to learn it. I still struggle but I muddle through it.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I’ve never had anyone actually sit down with me and teach me to read schematics. I’ve read his book and watched countless YouTube videos trying to learn it. I still struggle but I muddle through it.

I learned auto electric, electrician electric, and electronics as a pre-teenager and spent a lot of time in radio communications.

Even so, working with equipment, there are at least half a dozen different types of schematics I am faced with. Americans, Japanese, English and Europeans all have their own way of doing things.

There are schematics, which help troubleshoot power and signal flow, and then there are wiring diagrams, which show how the harnesses are connected.

The best are ones where they don't even bother showing the wires at all, but just show the various modules and components as boxes, with short wires coming out of them, and then it's up to you to stare at the page until you fine where the other end of said wire magically appears again.

I have lugged scopes onto various jobs, but seldom has it told me anything of value. CANBUS can generally be t/s by a DC voltmeter, but like all things you have to learn how it behaves normally before you can know for sure the difference between normal and broken.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I've heard good things about the Dan Sullivan book, and like you, I'm not great with electrical. I can handle 12 and 24, and on and off, but a lot of the new stuff is into canbus and when I get into boards I'm a little lost.

This is the book they are talking about, and I just ordered one, with the tester, figuring I could read it in my spare time, and give it to my young mechanic. At $80 it only has to save me on one repair to pay for itself.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Specialties-181-Fundamental-Troubleshooting/dp/B004IKO09K/ref=sr_1_2?crid=QRRFBEM0P8TS&keywords=equipment+electrical+troubleshooting+tester+book&qid=1670780388&sprefix=equipment+electrical+troubleshooting+tester+book,aps,107&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
I'm trusting that all of you guys know what you're talking about with this book and probe. Thanks for posting the link so I could spend my cash that much faster. I'm sure it will be a good, informative read and a time saver in the future. Nothing but good information on this forum from a lot of knowledgeable people willing to share it. :)

Zewnten

I'm trusting that all of you guys know what you're talking about with this book and probe. Thanks for posting the link so I could spend my cash that much faster. I'm sure it will be a good, informative read and a time saver in the future. Nothing but good information on this forum from a lot of knowledgeable people willing to share it. :)
The loadpro is stupid handy for finding mostly broken wires. The book that comes with it is very good for explaining the basics but building to advanced things at the same time. His videos are also good.

crane operator

Thanks for posting the link so I could spend my cash that much faster. I'm sure it will be a good, informative read and a time saver in the future. Nothing but good information on this forum from a lot of knowledgeable people willing to share it.

I'm hoping its a sheer time saver- in that your equipment will never break and you'll never need to trouble shoot. Just like carrying chains and a snow shovel in the truck. IF you have it with you- you won't need it.

hvy 1ton

And while we're spending your money, I've heard the powerprobe is a handy tool also, and one I don't own. Yet.

There's a couple different versions, fit for any price range. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-III-Case-Acc/dp/B005MVB3S0
I bought a power probe IV with circuit tracer last year. I haven't used it many times, but it's easily paid for itself already. Doesn't take much at $120/hr shop rate for somebody smarter than me. Only bad thing I can say is I have never been able to get everything back in the case. It now lives in a packout box with foam insert with my multimeter and loadpro.