• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Just a few pictures.

Koehringman

I hoPe they preserve the Keystone Skimmer, I don't think they make those anymore. :D Did it have wooden planks for track pads?

What part of the country are those Akermans in? I have never seen an Akerman around here.

What's the big old hoe in the last pic of post #10?

That would be a Koehring 666E.

bigshow

Heritage Park, a historical rest area featuring a lock from the old Erie Canal along the NYS Thruway with walking trails.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Big show great pics, thanks for sharing.

Question - what's the purpose of the jersey barriers in the swamp, silt fence?

bigshow

It was a coffer dam, we layed poly down and put barrier over top of it. The parking lot was built into a swamp, so we put the coffer dam in, excavated out the muck down to stable ground, filled back in good clayish material, then built a retaining wall, then the parking lot. I did quite a bit of pioneering on swamp mats to get the customer something stable to build on.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Cool, putting that coffer damn idea in the ol' rolodex. ;) Thanks for sharing.

Just finished up an underground retention system that had grey muck that had no resistance to a 4' probe rod, those jobs are a challenge. We used geo-grid, class 1 rip-rap and #2 to build a stable platform. Had to rip 4x8 sheets of OSB down for walk planks as you couldn't walk across it.

bigshow

Any swamp around here has a bottom, if you sit on enough matts with a smaller hoe you can dig them down to hard ground as long as you can keep the water away. It's all about surface area in these situations, the laborer stood in the bucket at ground level and I toted them along as the un-rolled the poly. That was the reason for the backwards bucket in the barrier setting picture, it was easier for them to work without the dipper stick above their heads. They couldn't walk in the swamp, too much muck and they would have gotten stuck.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Any swamp around here has a bottom, if you sit on enough matts with a smaller hoe you can dig them down to hard ground as long as you can keep the water away. It's all about surface area in these situations, the laborer stood in the bucket at ground level and I toted them along as the un-rolled the poly. That was the reason for the backwards bucket in the barrier setting picture, it was easier for them to work without the dipper stick above their heads. They couldn't walk in the swamp, too much muck and they would have gotten stuck.

Just remember when they first built that canal the Irish immigrants they used did not have the fancy tools you had! And the old high school I graduated from is just a hop and a skip down the road from that project!

bigshow

I had a lot of respect for that project and was proud to be a part of it. The Locks were amazingly well built by true craftsmen, I felt the need to go above and beyond to make sure I wouldn't disappoint those that worked inside the Locks before me.