• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jumper Cable Recommendations

SMLWinds

Hey guys! I am relatively new to heavy equipment but am accumulating a lot of it (D6 dozer, Prentice 2864 skid steer, 11K excavator, tractors, etc.) I haven't needed jumper cables much but with the cold have some recently. I think I likely have your typical consumer car/truck jumper cables. I need to buy something more heavy duty. I was thinking I would get a quality 1 gauge cable. What brands do you guys recommend? Cost is not an issue--I want the absolute best. Thanks so much!

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Bigger is better.... I usually carry a coupe different sets, a good old pure copper 1 gauge ~12foot set that is great for machines that you can get close to and a newer 30' 1 gauge set(chinese)

Just remember pretty much all the newer stuff that is imported will be CCA (copper clad aluminum) even when they say it's copper! unless you pay a lot ;) any time some hands me a set of jumpers to use I instantly know if they're crap or not by the weight.

I don't have any experience with the current high end brands but I can tell you I thought the ends were pretty cheezy on a set they had at the local parts store for 150 bucks... even if you have decent wires if the ends can't handle the current then they are pretty much worthless if you're in a hurry.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I got a set from my local Napa. Had to order them from catalog. They are copper and 20' long. They work very well. good current flow. Cost around $120 I think.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Cheaper to buy welder lead from a welding supply and jumper cable clamps at auto parts store and you can make them the length you want. Solder the lugs to the cable ends and use heavy duty zip ties to hold the cables together or rubber tape about every 2 feet.
Mike

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I saw a set on Northern tool email but I didn't like the ends..
Look up a "cable" place in your area.. They'll make-em..
We used them for ALL our replacement cables on Govt jobs.. bring in the old & pick up the NEW.
Cant remember the name of the place but I'm sure there are plenty around..

JPSouth

Cheaper to buy welder lead from a welding supply and jumper cable clamps at auto parts store and you can make them the length you want. Solder the lugs to the cable ends and use heavy duty zip ties to hold the cables together or rubber tape about every 2 feet. Mike

Will second this - I've got an old pair of Snap-on jumps that are heavy copper, the other 3 around here are all welding cable with soldered lugs. I use the heavy electrical 3:1 shrink wrap 24" O/C to bind the 2 cables together. They get stashed in those plastic ammo boxes to keep from getting damaged rattling around in the saddle or tool boxes.

Welder Dave

Welding cable is finer strand and more flexible than most commercial booster cables. The most important part is having a good connection of the clamps to the cables. I wish they made hammer lug connection booster cable clamps or clamps that attach with a set screw like welding ground clamps. A lot of booster cable clamps don't have a good enough connection to allow the full current the cable can carry. No sense having large cable if you clamps can carry the same current.

Ronsii

Occupation
Here is a pic of what I see on most of the jumpers these days:
steel_jumper_01_sm.jpg

100 percent steel( or whatever passes for it in china) construction... including the teeth... yeah they have a pretty copper plating on it but a magnet still sticks to it real good, also no webbing shunt between the jaws so you basically get one tooth with a real connection the the wire albeit a copper plated steel end terminal riveted to a copper plated steel tooth.

Here is a pic of one of my old sets with heavy copper teeth, real copper wire, webbing shunts between the two teeth so each one get full current and even built in spring wire reliefs:

copper_jumper_sm.jpg

The only downside to these is they aren't real good at biting onto side terminal batteries, so usually find somewhere else to grab if possible.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Hands down best way is welding cable and the absolute best ends you can buy. Really pay attention to how the cable attaches to the clamp. The more secure and the more contact surface area the better. I have a set about 35' long that are almost too heavy to carry, 1/0 I think.

My jump start setup will swing over 600 amps and you'd never know by touching the cables or the clamps unless I've really been grinding to get something busted off. Nothin pisses me off more than a set of cables that won't work or have so much resistance in the clamps you brand your hand when you go to remove them after jumping a machine.

DIYDAVE

Iffn I were starting over, I would install something like this: httpswww.awdirect.com/lexan-plug-jump-start-set-safe-t-connect-500-amp-clamps-25-superior-signals-stc254/jump-start-sets/?gclid=CjwKCAiApdPRBRAdEiwA84bo34p7TlrWQkANsQlr422FY-VEzmNWlB1F1Wugl4n62S_Xr5f-m2BApRoCNkEQAvD_BwE&epc=AWSEPLA&CID=AWSEPLA&s_kwcid=AL!3210!3!52661717358!!!g!153841727838!&ef_id=UrtdLAAAAY0GZWCv:20171217010659:s
on the jump vehicle. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the battery connections, not to mention hood hardware...

I think you can also get the quick connects separately, and use welding cable, if you want to do it yourself...

On edit, link didn't work, so copy and paste, or do a search...

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I don't even need to look at it to know what it is :). Cheapest place for the connectors so you can build cables etc is Amazon. They make 3 different sizes. We use the middle size on race cars so we can swap batteries quick or plug in a charger quick as well. Middle is about the size of a pack of smokes.

On the big iron we use the largest size, they're not much bigger physically but there is quite a bit more contact surface area and they'll accept larger cable. Handy as a pocket on each side of your shirt :cool:

DIYDAVE

Junkyard, Its good to see someone else wears 2 pocket shirts, too...;)

Ronsii

Occupation
Yeah!!! I love the anderson connectors, used them for wiring up receiver winches. Always meant to make a setup for the jumper cables... but never actually did get a round tuit.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I buy them a dozen at a time....which reminds me. I only have one....and I need to replace some cable ends anyway. I had Clark Griswold moment yesterday trying to jump my skytrack with my crummy. Cables had laid around long enough the rivet holding terminal to clamp was sloppy. If I held my mouth right they'd charge. If not, nothin.

I just about balled them up and threw them as far as I could and wouldn't you know it the trusty little Perkins went ahead and busted off. It was truly a heartbeat away from a full blown temper tantrum my 3 year old would have been proud of!!

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired

BlackDog

What about jump boxes? Thats what I have been using for a couple years now. Can also be used for different things too.

Jonas302

Jumper boxes are OK and extremely handy to have around but are nothing like a good set of cables to get something started

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
I found a set of cables 25' long made of welding lead in, of all places, our local landfill. Had some cheesy alligator clips. I bought lugs and good clamps, soldered the lugs to the cables and good to go!!
Mike

SMLWinds

So, don't laugh too hard, but I am fairly new to a lot of stuff that is basic to you guys so I am not up for soldering my own clamps and making my own cables. Does anywhere out there make something of that quality? There seems to a be a unanimous opinion that is the best way to go, so seems like someone out there would be making cables like that and selling them (if not, I just gave one of you a free idea for a great business opportunity!)

As for jump packs, I would like to get one of those as well. I have a Schumacher PSJ 4424, which is a pretty nice pack that has both 12 and 24V. However, on my larger machines (D6N dozer, Prentice 2864) I still don't feel like that is a enough power. I bought that pack specifically to start big machines since it is obviously overkill for a regular car. It has always done fine on my skid steer and 11K pound excavator but when I have tried it on the bigger machines it hasn't done the job as well. Should that pack be adequate? If not, what would you guys recommend as a portable jumper pack?

I do have a very nice Rizk National battery charger (I have a H624; http://www.usabatterychargers.com/H624.htm). I believe that is also a jump starter and would likely do the job (obviously never used it for that purpose). The only downside to that is it has to be plugged in so isn't as portable as a starter pack or truck with a battery I can hook to.