• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jondaryan Historic Earthmoving Field Days 2008

Deas Plant

Cop these.

Back with the yellow stuff. A Cat RD6 and Cat #2 Terracer. Didn't do a lot on the days other than stand and drive around looking good. It was a 'working weekend' with the aim of building roads and pads for a caravan (trailer) park for the Jondaryan Woolshed premises visitors. I'm told that all sites will be fully serviced with a total of 22 sites available.

In addition, another field which usually has the working sheepdog demonstrations happening there was upgraded by having some leveling work done on it, mainly with a John Deere 840 tractor and Hancock elevating scraper combo. Photos to come.

Attachments

• Cat RD6 , Cat No2 Terracer_1_DP.jpg
    Cat RD6 , Cat No2 Terracer_1_DP.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 358
  • Cat RD6, Cat No2 Terracer_1A_DP.jpg
    Cat RD6, Cat No2 Terracer_1A_DP.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 344
  • Cat RD6, Cat No2 Terracer_1B_DP.jpg
    Cat RD6, Cat No2 Terracer_1B_DP.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 348

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Yes, the days of going home black with dirt, and all anyone can see is your eyeballs and teeth are over. Not to mention exhausted, sore and irritable as well. Ahhh...those were the days when men were men and in some cases woman were men :eek:

Great pictures of the old stuff!

And today we have cross dressing Grader Drivers :rolleyes::D

Well its nice to reminisce about the good ole days.....yeah, well Bugger the good Ole days I say...I'll keep my A/C Cab, comfy seat and CD Player...thanks:cool2:cool::D

Deas Plant

Powerplants and comfort 'queens'

Hi, Euclid.
Those old Lanz tractors had a single-cylinder diesel engine of Lanz' own design. The early ones would even run on crude oil if you could get it. Strictly speaking, they were only what is called a semi-diesel because you had to pre-heat a hot-bulb built into the cylinder head to generate enough heat to get the engine to fire when cold. A full diesel relies mainly on the heat of compression for its ignition with glow-plugs for colder starts.

It did not pay to leave them idling when bogged or standing on wet ground as they would literally hammer themselves into the ground. This was a trait they shared with pretty much all the single-cylinder diesels. Some twin-cylinder diesels weren't a whole lot better in that regard. The Australian-built twin-cylinder horizontally opposed Chamberlain 55DA tractor is one that comes to mind.

Squizzy, you're a woos and a 'comfort queen'.

Last edited:

Deas Plant

Er, Euclid????????????

Er, Euclid, are we talking about the same tractor? LESS vibration? Boy, have I got news for you. Those tractors, like all single cylinder fore-and-aft tractor engines, would rock the WHOLE tractor back and forth right where it sat when at idle or at full revs. You can physically SEE the tractor rocking when it is sitting still.

I know the Johnny Poppers vibrate but I can assure that they ain't even in the same event when it comes to vibration. They are what is poltiely termed 'also-rans'.

euclid

Er, Euclid, are we talking about the same tractor? LESS vibration? Boy, have I got news for you. Those tractors, like all single cylinder fore-and-aft tractor engines, would rock the WHOLE tractor back and forth right where it sat when at idle or at full revs. You can physically SEE the tractor rocking when it is sitting still.

I know the Johnny Poppers vibrate but I can assure that they ain't even in the same event when it comes to vibration. They are what is poltiely termed 'also-rans'.

Indeed you are correct about the vibration levels and comparisons to popping Johnny's. never saw one but I referenced an old deere because they were rough.

Deas Plant

A Johnny Popper for you.

And here IS a Johnny Popper.

Attachments

• JD840 with hancock elevating scraper_1B_DP.jpg
    JD840 with hancock elevating scraper_1B_DP.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 361
  • JD840 with Hancock elevating scraper_1A_DP.jpg
    JD840 with Hancock elevating scraper_1A_DP.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 363
  • JD840 with Hancock elevating scraper_1_DP.jpg
    JD840 with Hancock elevating scraper_1_DP.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 354
  • JD840 with hancock elevating scraper_1C_DP.jpg
    JD840 with hancock elevating scraper_1C_DP.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 362
  • JD840 with Hancock elevating scraper_1D_DP.jpg
    JD840 with Hancock elevating scraper_1D_DP.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 362

Deas Plant

The Long Way Home.

They sure took the long way home to get the PTO drive to the elevator.

Attachments

• JD840 Hancock elevator drive_1E_DP.jpg
    JD840 Hancock elevator drive_1E_DP.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 364
  • JD840 Hancock elevator drive_1F_DP.jpg
    JD840 Hancock elevator drive_1F_DP.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 365
  • JD840 Hancock elevator drive_1G_DP.jpg
    JD840 Hancock elevator drive_1G_DP.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 359

Deas Plant

Aged Well But Not In Wood.

Hi, Euclid.
Not being much of a JD afficionado, I don't have much idea but I do know that the 840 was the industrial version of the JD830 Ag tractor so I'd guess that it came out around the same time, +/- ? The 840 was superceded by the JD5010 industrial tractor which was the industrial version of the 5010 2wd Ag tractor. The industrial 5010 was a very similar shape and style to the 840 but with a 6-banger diesel instead of the Johnny Popper -a good relaible workhorse too.

By the time the 5010 hit the market, JD were also making their own elevating scrapers with odd-shaped curved flights which loaded quite well. In fact, the whole jigger handled quite well - - - - - - - ONCE you got used to the oddball gear shift arrangement.

How's that for NOT being a JD afficionado? LOL.

euclid

Wealth of knowldege on the older stuff. But I'm wondering if this was anOz unit specifically? Some things are regional ya know, due to prices, or how it would work in that area.

Deas Plant

Oz Unit.

Hi, Euclid.
No, I don't think it was an Oz-only unit. I didn't get a chance to check out the ID plate 'cos the owner came along, fired it up and took off to participate in the parade.

I do know that JD manufactured in Australia, Western Australia to be specific, for a while. They bought out the Aussie-owned Chamberlain factory, built the then-current Chamberlain models for several years as Chamberlain-Deere, and then closed the place down. I guess they couldn't handle the competition and that was one way of beating them. No LOL.

If I'm really lucky, I may just catch up with that jigger again the last weekend in July when we have our local club's rally.

There's another more or less local rally this weekend too. I'll see if I can't arrange a bit more exercise for my camera - take it out for a stroll, so to speak. It's actually a truck rally where some machines seem to turn up, so I'll go along for a look.

euclid

You all have a lot of things going on over in WA. it would be very interesting to check out these pieces. Our biggest thing is old Ag tractors, I have a older JD and it is fun but I'm not into ag tractors unless it is a ag pull. I'm into those but all the different models aren't for me. I'd like to attend a construction type rally and see some real equipment knocking about.

Deas Plant

Not W.A..

Hi, Euclid.
I am originally from W.A. but now live on the Gold Coast, Queensland, one of the very few places on Earth that are actually FIT for human habitation. There are at least 6 vintage shows, earthmoving equipment, tractors, trucks, other machinery, etc., within 2 hours drive of where I live and 2 of those are within 10 minutes.

Are you suitably green yet???????????????????? LOL.

To git amongst some reasonably heavy vintage iron that clanks and clatters and makes loud squealing noises as it moves along, hop a kite and gitchyer butt over to Woodland. Ca., from June 20 to 22, to the Best Show On Tracks. Here's a link to the web site. C'mon, it's only a hop, step and jump for you. I'm leaping the Pacific puddle to get there. LOL.

http://www.bestshowontracks.org/

euclid

No I'm not green yet, but I'm not against being a wee green. You all are more green in oz than we are yet.
I wish I could get over to the gold coast and hit the great barrier reef for a few days just swimming about.

bear

I wish I could get over to the gold coast and hit the great barrier reef for a few days just swimming about.

I'll second that! even third or fourth it. I already promised myself a trip to the other side of the world when i get out of college. Every day it get closer too. :D

Squizzy246B

Administrator
No I'm not green yet, but I'm not against being a wee green. You all are more green in oz than we are yet.

Its a long swim from the Gold Coast to the Barrier Reef...about 1,200 miles or thereabouts......try Google Earth.

bear

Not specifically the Reef for me though I do love being on the water. Honestly I don't know where I would go but anywhere would annoy the wife. :rolleyes: Honestly for me Down under is the only place I've ever considered worth visiting for more than a week. Nothing against anyone else just the way I am.

Deas Plant

Gold Coast to 'The Reef'.

Hi, Euclid and Bear.
Don't listen to that silly old goat from 'the West'. He doesn't know what he's talking about. It's not 1,200 miles from here to the Great Barrier Reef. If you type in "Lady Elliott Island, Australia" for a Google search, you will find yourself looking at a map showing Lady Elliot Island lying roughly North-east of a town called Bundaberg where, incidentally, they make a very popular rum.

Lady Elliott Island is the Southernmost part of the Great Barrier Reef and I can be in Bundaberg in under 5 hours by road from home. This makes it around 350 miles. Swimming should get you there by about lunchtime - - - - - 2010. LOL.