• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere PE6068 Engine fuel issues

Will-Power

Any good Deere mechanics out there, I have a customer with a 6068 engine with the following codes and symptoms. Unit has lots of power and runs fine for 30 seconds when he begins working and loads it up it loses power dramatically and smokes a bit.

I am thinking he may be drawing air into the suction side of the fuel pump, he changed his fuel filters 100 hrs ago, I told him to do it again and check out his hose from the fuel tank to the first filter.

Any thoughts??

Spn 94 Fmi 17
Low pressure fuel signal slightly low

Spn 1347 Fmi 7
Suction control valve circuit mismatch

Spn 94 Fmi 3
Low pressure fuel signal out of range high.

Spn 971 Fmi 31
External derate switch condition exists.

Spn 1569 Fmi 31
Engine power derate condition exists.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
High will power put a Guage on suction line and on pressure side of lift. Rev it up and the gauges will tell you witch way to go

partsandservice

Check for trash in the fuel line first, esp anywhere there is a 90 degree fitting. The mismatch code is the odd ball, possible bad rail pressure sensor or wiring to it.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I have a 4045 that had the same problem. Biofuel was the cause. Here in Oz the fuel companys can mix up to 4% without notice. I had to change out the fuel rail pressure sensor, then was told to use a fuel system cleaner ( not to be confused with injector cleaner)every 250 hrs.

Will-Power

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I had the customer tighten all of the fittings in the fuel delivery circuit, this seemed to help. I dont know if he changed his fuel filters as I recommended. He said it is running better, not as much of a loss of power. I talked to the dealer here for John Deere, Frontier Power in Edmonton, good guys, they said they have seen the exact same thing on mulchers before, its the fine particulate they create when working, causes build up and obstructions in the fuel lines and even the filter head. They recommend taking the filter head apart and cleaning it well, then putting it back together, also anywhere there is a fitting or even a zip tie on the suction line from the tank can be a spot for a buildup to occur.

I will be taking apart the filter heads next week, and also have to null both of the drive pumps for the mulcher head as its spinning when the system is in neutral. Will post what I find out.

Thanks for the help so far.

Ramon1

I'm not a mechanic so excuse my ignorance please, but what might be causes of engine power derate condition

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
What breed of mulcher Will-Power?

heymccall

My 6068 engines, in wheel loaders, have 3 filters. One is an inline strainer, one is stanadyne fuel/ water separator, and last is stanadyne final fuel filter. It's amazing how much debris is found in the inline strainer. Enough that it gets one at every filter service, even though Deere says every 1000 hours or so.