• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere f9c4 code

Spiva Const

Occupation
Retired underground utility contractor
I have a JD 310sg that is showing a f9c4 code. The tractor starts and runs fine. I put die electric grease on the connection at the controller and inspected the harness under the machine and dash, nothing looked out of place. I know these are very hard to diagnose but was wondering can the tractor run fine if there is something wrong with the controller?

rScotty

Occupation
Artist & Mech. Engineering
I have a JD 310sg that is showing a f9c4 code. The tractor starts and runs fine. I put die electric grease on the connection at the controller and inspected the harness under the machine and dash, nothing looked out of place. I know these are very hard to diagnose but was wondering can the tractor run fine if there is something wrong with the controller?

Did you get it fixed? My 310SG was showing a code & temp gauge not working. It was engine controller.

Spiva Const

Occupation
No, I haven’t solved the problem yet. How ever the temp gauge started acting up, showing the engine was hot but a heat gun showed it was ok.
I guess I’ll have to break down and buy a controller.

rScotty

Occupation
Artist & Mech. Engineering
I'd bet that's it. I just wrote it up in another thread "john deere 310SG" but don't know how to link to a different conversation yet.
I'll copy what I found out. It's just duplicate info, but bytes are cheap and it took me weeks and real dollars to get it fixed. You have to have the new controller programmed to your machine. One techy said it could be done at the shop without the machine needing to be there, but another one said that worked sometimes but not always. My new controller wanted the throttle recalibrated or it was unhappy. So unless you have access to JD's factory controller programmer just buying a new part may not work.

Here's what I wrote on the other thread:

"Well, I got it fixed and thought I'd share the results so as to help anyone else with the F450 & maybe F9c4 error code and erratic gauge readouts on their 310SG. It always ran fine, but eventually the temperature gauge would climb to max immediately upon starting the backhoe. That's when I knew something was wrong.
I changed the thermostat sensor (old one was OK), checked the thermostat operation with a thermometer (opens at 180F), and then traced all the wiring for bad connections & shorts.
The standard procedure for resetting the error code wasn't working on my dash readout either.
Went to talk to JD dealer and they said it was probably the engine controller. They saw it a lot on SGs that have the engine controller in the engine compartment where it gets vibration, heat soak, and fluids.....but never at all in later 310s that had the engine controller in the cab as later models had them. The part has had about 6 upgrades according to my dealer, and he is pretty good.
It is roughly a $1600 part & a $100 charge to re-program the new one for the specific 310/ There is also said to be a wiring harness that allows the new engine controller to be moved into the cab where it is standard on newer model 310s. So I figured I'd consider doing that until I found out that the harness to move the controller costs as much as a new controller does. it is the same price as the controller all over again.
BTW, the engine controller also controls the injectors....but that function seemed to be working fine on mine. The only obvious symptom was the F450 error code that couldn't be erased and strange temperature gauge readings.

So I went home and disconnected the engine controller, cleaned all the terminals, checked the wiring again, and reinstalled it. Everything worked fine for about ten minutes and then the gauges went wonky again.

I elected to have the service truck come out and replace the controller. It's an upgrade; the old one is worth a $200 core charge. Replaced the main hydraulic suction hose at the same time and new JD trans/hyd. fluid. Bill just short of $3K. Everything works like new again and the panel readout in the cab is working normally. "

BTW, I bitched about the computer problem and the tech said that the old 310s are actually good or better than the new ones in his opinion. He said the 310SG was one of the last "good ones" in a lot of people's minds. They bring high price used, and that the 310SG was a sought-after machine.
I will say that mine has held up very well. At 5600 hrs it pretty much works like it did new. Engine/tranny/pumps all run fine
rScotty

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
One techy said it could be done at the shop without the machine needing to be there, but another one said that worked sometimes but not always.

Yes it can be programmed at the dealer off the machine, however you need to bring in the old controller so necessary data can be transferred to the new controller plus receive your core charge back. The original ECU's were problem prone (I think the part number on those ended with 527) but the later ones have been very reliable.

Before replacing a controller make sure the M12 Yellow wire and the M13 Green wire (between ECU and Monitor) and their connections are sound. Also make sure that there is no interruption of the switched, unswitched 12 V and ground to the ECU controller. These items could give you that code as well.

Spiva Const

Occupation
I have two 310SG so I finally got around to switching the controller on both machines. The controller, which is located on the left side of the engine, was the problem. The error code stopped on the one machine and occurred on the other. Gauges now work fine on the machine with the good controller.
Time to order a new ECU!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Make sure when you pick up your ECU to take your old one with you. They need info off that one to program the new one. When you get your new ECU installed you will have to calibrate your throttle. Ask the dealer for instructions on how to do that. They might be "nice" and give it to you. Also make sure to swap the ECU's back to their original machines. You have no idea what kind of problems that creates down the road when another ECU is needed or needs to have updated software (serial number mismatch's, etc).

Spiva Const

Occupation
Thanks. Pape Machinery in Sac has the part in stock. $1,300+ with programming and core.
It’s been years since I programmed the throttle but if they won’t give me the procedure I know where to get it.