• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 710D hydraulic system question

Rustyironfarm

Occupation
Trucker/Farmer
I just recently purchased a JD 710D.. Can anyone tell me what weight oil goes in the hydraulic system and also the transmission on my 1997 710D backhoe?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
That machine originally came with Hy-gard in the transmission and the hydraulics. That oil is a multi-grade oil. It is somewhere between a 46 and a 68 oil. Just use Hy-gard from your local Deere dealer so you only have to get one oil. If you are looking to use an oil other than Deere's, then that oil needs to meet Deere's JDM J20C or JDM J20D specifications.

Rustyironfarm

Occupation
Trucker/Farmer
Thank you very much.. I'd heard 10wt for the powershift transmission however that didn't sound right so certainly glad I asked first.. I've a CAT (446D) same size machine, same HP however I already like this Deere a lot better.. I've got a few leaking cylinders that've got to be repaired, other than that it's a beast!

Welder Dave

I'd use the JD oil for the transmission but an aftermarket meeting the specs. for the hyd's. to save some money. It's generally more common to have add to the hyd. oil than the transmission oil because of cylinder leaks or replacing hoses.