• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 624H stalls won't hold rpms after starting

Greasyfitting

Hey everybody I have a John Deere 624H when you fire it up rpms are around 200-500 then immediately stalls out. It was running fine all week has new transfer pump on it. Yesterday had the tire man come out to fix tire then while curling bucket it started losing rpms stalled out. I figured it ran out of fuel the fuel gauge is messed up put 16 gallons in it, blew air back into the tank , primed from transfer pump , cracked open injectors on pump fuels coming out , still has the issue. Any help would be appreciated. SN 577295

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Start at the beginning. Was the machine working fine and it just happened? Shut machine down, then it was a problem at start up? Be as specific as possible as to when and how the issue started.

Was the fuel pressure monitored when it is running and stalls?

It still starts up and then stalls? Does the engine sound loaded without moving any hydraulics? What happens if you start it and give it throttle right away? Any smoke out the exhaust?

Greasyfitting

Start at the beginning. Was the machine working fine and it just happened? Shut machine down, then it was a problem at start up? Be as specific as possible as to when and how the issue started.

Was the fuel pressure monitored when it is running and stalls?

It still starts up and then stalls? Does the engine sound loaded without moving any hydraulics? What happens if you start it and give it throttle right away? Any smoke out the exhaust?
The machine was running perfectly fine this happened out of the blue. Yes it is happening on start up now.It wasn't bogging down when the hydraulics are used. When you start it up it and try to give it gas it will jump as high as 700 rpms then loses rpms , and dies blows some smoke. There's no fuel pressure monitor on the machine display other than the gauge that I know of.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
There's no fuel pressure monitor on the machine display other than the gauge that I know of.
Need to install a gauge into the fuel filter head. Doing this will tells us if your issue is or is not a fuel supply issue.

So it is lugging down as if under load? Will it stay running if you keep a hydraulic function moving? Just trying to determine if this is an engine issue, or a hydraulic one.

Greasyfitting

Need to install a gauge into the fuel filter head. Doing this will tells us if your issue is or is not a fuel supply issue.

So it is lugging down as if under load? Will it stay running if you keep a hydraulic function moving? Just trying to determine if this is an engine issue, or a hydraulic one.
It will cut of within 3-5 seconds won't really even give you time to work the hydraulics.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Without being there it will be difficult to ascertain what your specific issue is. That is why I ask for specific tests to be done. When engines die, fuel pressure is the first thing I always check. if it sounds like the engine is laboring when it dies, then after fuel pressure I would check the hydraulic system pressure. So right now we are just spinning our wheels. Do you own gauges for pressure testing the fuel system and the hydraulic system? If not......

I think at this point you may need to bring in the professionals.

Greasyfitting

Without being there it will be difficult to ascertain what your specific issue is. That is why I ask for specific tests to be done. When engines die, fuel pressure is the first thing I always check. if it sounds like the engine is laboring when it dies, then after fuel pressure I would check the hydraulic system pressure. So right now we are just spinning our wheels. Do you own gauges for pressure testing the fuel system and the hydraulic system? If not......

I think at this point you may need to bring in the professionals.
I got it fixed the Pre-fuel filter housing primer diaphragm went bad. Also whoever was working on it before me never lost or broke the prefilter bowl.I installed the new primer diaphragm kit , changed filters , installed the clear bowl , bled injectors. Runs excellent now guess some sometimes you have to change components out I don't really like unnecessarily changing parts.