• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 570 A Grader

Jerry Jackson

Occupation
Water Treatment
I have a 570 A Grader and it goes in reverse all gears fine, but when you try and go forward it will try as long as it is idling, if you try and accelerate it will jump out of gear and them back in and out. Someone told me it is the cogs in the transmission. Anyone have any thoughts on this.
Do you have to remove the engine to repair it.
Any part numbers would help.

Thanks

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Jerry;)!

No Forward in ANY gear? Pressure checks would be the next logical check before any disassembly. You need to acquire the tech manual TM1001 if you want to try and tackle this yourself.

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
Get the TM as suggested.
The problem most likely is in the directional change cable linkage. This is cable operated between the cab and the transmission. On the left side, (from the operator seat), you will find where both the directional change and the speed change levers move the levers on the transmission. The outside one on both ends is the direction change.

Both ends have adjustment mechanisms. Both ends also have devices that clamp the cable sheath in place. With the sheath secured you can begin the adjustment of the cable throw.

If you can mark the position of the transmission lever you should be able to determine which direction the cable control needs to move to engage forward direction from the cab.

Unless you need to replace the entire cable, you will start by removing the side plate and the top of the shift levers pedistal so you have room to work. The fork which attaches to the direction change lever can be removed for the adjustment. Loosen the jam nut first so you can make the adjustment and then detach the fork. Four or five turns of the fork should put you in the ball park. You will have to figure out which direction. The transmission end can be also be adjusted in a similar fashion, but I think it is more difficult and usually done only when the entire cable is replaced.

If the direction change lever needs to be adjusted back to center to indicate neutral, that is done on the parking brake mechanism in the pedestal.

Be safe as the throw on the cable is about one inch and you don't want that machine to move with out you in the operators seat. I never do this adjustment with the engine running.

BellflowerMan

Occupation
Biochemist/retired; DIY mechanic
Hi.....

Did you fix the problem ??? Would like to know about 570-A issues, as I may buy one.

Does the blade have a float function ? The 570-B brochure says that it has one, but no mention of float capability in the 570-A brochure. Want to use one for snow on a one-mile private road.

Thank you !!

rsherril

Occupation
Concerning float capability the answer is yes. Visit with the JD dealer in Durango if you want/need information on that model.
I will also suggest that there are more efficient ways of plowing snow for one mile of road.

BellflowerMan

Occupation
Thank you for the float information !!!

Already have a 1996 Ford F-250 with 4x4 drive/automatic transmission and 460 CID engine. Plow with all four tires chained up and 400 pounds of cinder blocks in the bed. Very heavy/wet snows...such as last year early in the season...kept me out on the road for two hours. Am 75 years old and want a machine to clear it quickly. As the season progresses, deep snow accumulates at the shoulders and makes it difficult to maintain the full 20-foot plus width of clear surface. The side shift capability of the blade would facilitate push-backs. In early 2019, we had so much snow that we had to rent a Kubota M5 tractor for three days to open up the road. Effective push-backs earlier in the season....December....would have precluded the need to rent the tractor and hire an operator for three days.

Will employ the grader to maintain the road as well. It needs at least two inches of fresh ABC to keep it free of potholes and washboard. Seems like the best solution to me...as the 570 series are smaller graders with articulation/tight turning radius. Fire away with any suggestions for more efficient solutions. Employing a dependable, affordable John Deere grader is my best idea. Thank you !!

rsherril

Occupation
That's why I'm happy with my 570A. It's enough of a grader to deal with my 4 miles of road and handle four tight turn-arounds. Parts and advice are available through Honnen Equipment in Durango, however dealer on sites visits are expensive. I have all four manuals -Parts, Technical, Operators and one for the 6059 engine. Most maintenance I handle myself, (I know where all 42 grease zeros by heart). Some repairs I go to local shops. Help is usually available on HEF.
Not all 570As have turbo assistance. Mine does and I would recommend it at your elevation. I also make use of of the differential lock when plowing snow and heavy grading. I've handled over twenty tandem loads of road base a day, but now I need to limit myself to four or five hours with a couple of walk arounds breaks in between. I'm no spring chicken and all 570As are 30 to 40 years old now.
Awhile back I quit the snow plowing as we had consecutive years of light snow only. We contract that out now and last year I was glad we did. 14 inches of wet heavy snow on a wet and soft road is more than I wanted to deal with.
Chains or maybe radial snow tires are required. I do not enjoy putting four sets of chains on the tandems, especially in the snow, so I would do it in late November. A front end plow might work too, if you can find one.
Unless you have a heated shop, a block heater is advised for temps. below 20 F.
Many years ago I plowed with Austin Western in mountain settings. Six wheel drive worked well and I never chained up, (had plenty of backup if I were to get stuck though.) They also have rear steering.
You might want to consider 670A models too as they have bit more power, weight and taller moldboard.

BellflowerMan

Occupation
Hi.......

You sound like a man with much experience and many stories !!!

I have looked at Austin-Western graders...both Pacer and Super models. Like the 4x4 and 6x6 AWD and AWS systems, but turning radii are still huge without articulation and parts are a problem...given their age. Have looked at Champions and Galions and other graders, but eventually decided that the Deere 570-B is the best bet for me....given size, capabilities and prices...and parts sources. Transmission parts are the big problem for them though; the majority of them are over 30 years old now. Many people have suggested that six-wheel drive models [Volvo and Galion/Dresser, for example] are essential here, but I think that chains and a differential lock would do it, as I face no serious inclines on the road. The Deere 772-A is a six-wheel drive machine, but also huge.

There are only about ten 570-Bs for sale in the entire country and many of them are far from me. Given the blade float capability on 570-As, I can consider that model now too, but the story is the same...far from me or trash. And prices have been going up...along with everything else. Thank you for the suggestions about need for turbocharged engines and block heaters. Definitely both a must in my area around 8,000 feet elevation. Found a 670-A near me this summer, but it was sold before I could make an offer. And it was huge compared to a 570-A as well. Like to have oil analyses on machines with more than 10,000 hours to assess condition too.

Thanks again....take care !!

BellflowerMan

Occupation
Hi........

Just bought a nice 1977 Deere 570-A grader for snow work and some road maintenance. Will have all new 15.5-25 tires on it. Wondering about chains for it. Any recommendations out there ? Understand studded ones or V-bar chains are good for grader work in snow and ice. Pewag and Peerless brands are mentioned on these pages. Assume that I should put four on the rear tires. Any need for a full set of six chains ? Many more dollars.

This last winter was brutal in Southwest Colorado and am hoping to use a combination of the grader and a snow blower to keep the private road open....at least to a width of one lane. Must be prepared for yet another brutal one on the way.

Thanks for any input !