• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 550G LGP

vmaggio

I have a JD 550G that will start and run but shows a alt problem when its running. Then it dies a few minutes later it will start up again then die after running a few minutes. Any help?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Humm I don't think your problems are related.

I think you might have a charging problem, mine the alt light went out after getting the motor up to speed, which triggered the alternator to charge, I think.

But the running and dying is a symptom of clogged fuel filter. Which is the black glass square on the left side of motor, or at least mine was.

vmaggio

OK I checked the battery on the dozer (not running) 12.62 and checked with motor running volt meter did not move higher then 12.32. One battery only on machine.

Found glass filter on side of motor looked very black could see diesel fuel on top and bottom. Going to John Deere in morning to get fuel filter. Starting one problem at a time!

Ran motor (Stop and light 3 and 4) on panel.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Napa stocks those deere fuel filters or at least mine does. Also have you ever changed a diesel's fuel filters before? If not, don't until you understand what you need to do.

vmaggio

ok where can I get some understanding of that fuel filter change? I can not find anything on the net. I really dont have the money to send to dealer.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I looked as well but I didn't see what I need to show you. Ok, the filter is held on by the tabs, I popped mine loose with a screw driver, then you install new filter, preferably filled with clean fuel. Then you open the bleeder, it looks like a bolt head on the right side of the filter base. Then go to your fuel lift pump and manually pump fuel in till you get a steady stream of fuel, tighten bleeder, start motor.

Don't be surprised if it dies, just try again. If it will not re-start, treat like you ran it out of fuel, start cracking injection lines and bleeding air out. its not really that difficult, but if you have never delt with a diesel before, you will air lock it, and wonder why it will not run.

buckfever

Are you saying that the lights on the third and forth square are lighting up? If so I think one of those is the trans pressure. I cann't remember and my 650 doesn't have any of the background on the warning lights left.

vmaggio

so how did you make out?

I had to call the Mech in -
Changed Fuel Filter had to used old clamp-- fuel filter filled on its own
Alt still off mech messed up the pully - waiting on new one. also he had to go back to shop did not know how to wire it back..

Next time, Im going to just take the alt off myself and get it rebuilt -One on me---

wilko

I think that might be a Prestolite alternator-big bucks. At least think about switching it over to a Delco single wire.

D3DaveC

The alternator on my dads old Massey tractor would quit every 2nd year so I decided to take it apart to see what makes them tick. He was giving it away on trade plus $90 so what harm could I do. Nothing much to them. Had a guy take the armature down on a lathe so it wouldn't wear the new brushes too quickly, new brushes, new voltage regulator, new bearings, total cost at that time was $14. A mechanic told me alternators give trouble if they are vibrating a lot of the time so I made a bracket from the block to the back of the alt. Never again had a problem with it, sold the tractor with it working. It was a Delco, maybe this Prestolite is a bit different.

vmaggio

The alternator on my dads old Massey tractor would quit every 2nd year so I decided to take it apart to see what makes them tick. He was giving it away on trade plus $90 so what harm could I do. Nothing much to them. Had a guy take the armature down on a lathe so it wouldn't wear the new brushes too quickly, new brushes, new voltage regulator, new bearings, total cost at that time was $14. A mechanic told me alternators give trouble if they are vibrating a lot of the time so I made a bracket from the block to the back of the alt. Never again had a problem with it, sold the tractor with it working. It was a Delco, maybe this Prestolite is a bit different.

Could someone out there send me a picture of the back side of the alt with all the wires? I would like a picture of the JD with the standard wiring harness. I still have the same harness on this mechine.

Thanks vm

jadcalmech

Occupation
Mobile HD Mech
I have had a fair bit to do with these little buggers and on three of the units I work on the either injection is on the same fuse as your alt warning light. This is also that way on the 650J models

jadcalmech

Occupation
Mobile HD Mech
On the front of the track adjuster just in behind the front idler there is a small square door you open it up and pump grease into it till your track is tight

vmaggio

I can really use some help and some opinions !!!

After about a hour of use she starts to run bad then she dies A couple minutes later she start up and about 30 minutes die again.....so on.......

Glass Fuel Filter has been changed.