• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 540B Starting and Charging Schematic

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Product Id. # DW540BC501870
Engine Ser# 618245T
Sold New Nov.16/1984
Hello gentleman, Have new batteries and can jump the starter to make it crank. All new positive and negative cables. looking for control circuit wiring so I can start it at the Push button. The push button is new, but need to find the neutral safety switch as it is sending power to start relay which I believe is not good. A wiring schematic would be great if someone had one. Thanks for your help in advance.
Simon C`

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Thanks MG2361
Yes I received your schematic and the neutral safety switch was in need of plug repair. The start relay was okay for now, found the Main circuit breaker tripped once. The reset was behind the plate it was bolted to. I felt behind and it clicked right back in. This breaker is original and should be renewed. Any idea how many amps it should be. I was thinking probably 15 or 20. Anyhow it fired right up with your Schematic help. Alternator is not charging but I will deal with that later. Changed Engine oil today after warming up. Thanks for your help Mike. The breaker I am refering to is part #4 on the Schematic.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Thanks so much .I have 1 brand new from Caterpillar that I can install. Will let you know how it turns out. I found a cigarette tin foil on one of the glass fuses. Some people do all kinds of things to fix shorts to ground. LoL

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Thanks so much mg2361. All is workimg. Charging is working good since I fixed the cables and had the alternator rebuilt. Starts instantly now. Will let you know of how it turns out. Very good so far. Thanks Mike. Buy the way I posted under skidsteers looking for info on John Deere 332 G Skid steers and you can chime in on that post if you have any warnings. Once again thanks for all.
Simon C

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Have sold the 540B Skidder to a man from Montana. It was born in the USA and will finish its days there. Thanks for the large technical information that you supply myself and so many others. You must have a John Deere Service Advisor program. Thanks again.
Simon C