• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 455g

Anthonyleuci

So came across a 1 owner 455g has 3400 hours on it very clean n straight it could use rear sprockets but the bad is they ran it out of fuel n it’s been sitting for at least 8 years n I did put a jump pack on it n the motor turns over and the owner says he’s not taking anything less then 4500 for it so what’s everyone’s opinion on this is it worth it or not thanks

Welder Dave

Might be OK but some pics would help. It seems really odd that it would sit parked for 8 years simply because they ran it out of fuel. I'd suspect there's some other issue(s) with it. How much did you turn it over? Not sure if that could harm the injection pump or not. What did the oil look like? I wonder if a lot of seals would be dried up. 3400 hours if it's accurate is about the time for new undercarriage. Normally you don't just change sprockets, you change sprockets and rails as a matched set and may also need bottom rollers.

Anthonyleuci

Under carriage is in really good shape pins n bushes r not bad at all n from what the owner told me they just didn’t have much use for at their yard they got a 550 John Deere dozer and that basically took its place so when it ran out of fuel they just stopped using it all together

Anthonyleuci

The owner seems super super busy and I think it just got neglected really kind of just really worried about the transmission I hear all kinds of stories about them having bad transmissions and it sitting for as long as it has

Welder Dave

The owner bought it brand new and just let it sit for 8 years because it ran out of fuel. Unless the owner is a multi-millionaire who doesn't care, it makes no sense at all. Do you pics. or something else to go off?

Anthonyleuci

He also has a 655 sitting right next to the 455 with only 2800 hours on it but as a muffler rotted out and filled the Motor motor with water it’s a shame it is mint but around where we live at no one has any use for them anymore

Welder Dave

There has to be more to the story. Is the guy 80 years old and has dementia or something or just money burning holes in his pockets? Could the machines be stolen and that's why they sat for so long?

telwood

I have a 455G and love it so far. Agree it seems odd sitting for 8 years but if it runs $4500 allows quite a bit to replace parts and bring it up to par. I did replace my transmission and it was about $6500 for a factory rebuilt unit which fairly easily slides in. You need to get it running before buying and am sure someone here can run through the process if it indeed just ran out of fuel.

telwood

It would have to be in like new shape for 45K. Not sure how recent they made the 455G but mine is no cab 1994....I paid 14K and see them in the 20's quite often.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Stick the Fuel tank, if NOT dry and full of Varnished crud will be a heartache from Day One. Also would indicate pump failed not ran out of fuel, another $600-900, rotten fuel lines, possible sealed over nozzles, starts adding cash Quick. Then engine been sitting six years needs all new fluids before start to stop from passing water thru everything.

Anthonyleuci

Well just an update for everyone went and got the 455G running ran for about 15 minutes runs good just wouldn’t move check the transmission fluid transmission fluid was clean and full at least while it was not running I don’t know what the level was when it was running I’m assuming it takes universal tractor fluid I made him another offer of 4500 and he said no

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Walk away, he calls and asks if still interested at 45, just say that day passed and hang up as you will get nowhere with he or his machine.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
After he ran it low enough on transmission fluid so it wouldn't move he topped it off and it still wouldn't move. Then maybe he pumped the fuel into another machine. Now he says Oh it's just a fuel problem. Try him at $3000 if you want the Head Ache.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
What about the 655 you could rebuild rebuild the motor yourself a whole lot easier than the transmission on the 455G.

Welder Dave

Use OEM JD fluid!!! Don't fcuk with it at this time. Tell the guy you'll give $5000 if he can prove the trans. and steering are good. Otherwise walk or run away. He buys the fluid and you watch him pour it in from a new unopened JD container (he should have a recent receipt too). He balks at that with the incentive of more money that would more than cover the cost of the fluid. Walk away, there's something seriously wrong he's not telling you.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Another way to look at the cost of it is that, if all it needs is a transmission overhaul for say, $4000.00 you would then have about $10,000 in it.
For me that is a better option than paying say, $15000 for one that could have a the transmission crap out after using a short period of time.
If the two machines were equally comparable in condition of course.