• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 450H

Spiva Const

Occupation
Retired underground utility contractor
My 450H is starting to lock up the right side track. It is intermittent and if I raise the tracks off the ground and run the right track back and forth it will work fine. I think it might be the revolution counter on the hydrostatic motor but wanted to see if anyone else has had the problem. I recently replaced the main computer so I’m hoping it isn’t that.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Serial number?

If you look through the little window on the plastic covering the TCU are there any codes. Might want to remove the cover and scroll through the codes (press menu until codes, then press select, then press next to scroll through the codes). Post codes here.

Spiva Const

Occupation
I knew I should have looked up the codes first but I didn’t have time to get to the tractor.
The only code that came up is F372, which online says it is the right side drive sensor. So I guess it’s time to replace it. I replaced the left side years ago and it isn’t to difficult.
Serial # 450HX908032.
Thanks for the response.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
F372 is for the left speed sensor. If your right side is locking up then you would be working on the left speed sensor circuit. The reason? The TCU always slows the fast track to match the slow track. So if the left speed sensor indicates 0 rpm, then the right track is stopped to match it.

Spiva Const

Occupation
Thanks for the answer, the internet isn’t always correct. One post did say left and another said right side. I assumed it was the right sensor but your explanation makes sense. I will post an update.
I will check the wiring also but everything under the computer cover looks good.

Spiva Const

Occupation
Do you think the exercise of reprogramming the computer first would be worth the effort or is most likely the sensor?

Spiva Const

Occupation
I finally got around to installing the new sensor and that cured the intermittent problem.

Spiva Const

Occupation
If you have a 450H you will have to recalibrate TCU. The unit is located on the left side above the battery compartment. Under the black plastic cover. You may have a controller that is very oxidized but if you can still read the display you should be ok.
You should have a code displayed and those are explained in above posts.
You should be able to find the procedure online and it is a little tricky because if you make a mistake you have to start over.
My dozer has a ripper bar so I can lift the tracks off the ground to do the runout that is required unless you have a long straight yard to do the runout.
If you can’t find the procedure online let me know and I will figure out how to get a copy to you.
There are a few u-tube videos that are helpful even if they are for the newer or bigger JD dozers.

hunterdog967

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
John Deere 450H TO450HX904848
I bought a tech manual TECHNICAL MANUAL H-Series Crawler Dozer TM1743 07 JUN 04 (ENGLISH) online and cant seem to find fault code list . Can someone tell me if they are in this manual The fault code is F393 and dozer locks up