• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 450C when hot won't backup

Deereboy

Anybody know much about this.I had tranny done 5yrs ago($8500) and put a few hundred hours on it.Someone told me about a manifold problem they had.I was hoping a Deere Guy on here might have a few thoughts.I was even told to overfill the tranny with oil. Let me know....

JonathanMA

You can put a pressure gauge in there to check it out. Remove the plug thats on top of the transmission case cover and then remove the allen socket plug thats below it. Its near the area where the heels of your feet are when sitting in the machine. It is 1/8" pipe thread, so a good method is to adapt a gauge to fit onto a grease gun hose(without grease in it !!) The pressure should be about 150 psi in all speeds, hi, low and reverse. If reverse reads low, then it sounds like it has to come apart again. Any slipping in forward??

PD Mech Steve

The 450's were noted for the manifold problems you mentioned. Basically it is a cast iron block with a clutch shaft that passes through it. The manifold is drilled for oil passages and the shaft has corresponding holes with metal sealing rings to separate the passages. The rings and or the shaft wear grooves in the manifold and then leakage occurs when warm. I believe the manifold is available on the aftermarket but the shaft is not last I knew. If you have other questions or need parts, feel free to contact me directly. Steve. www.pdmechanical.com

Deereboy

Thanks Steve. Are there parts available for this? I haven't pulled it apart yet as i was looking for another one that was good to use and keep this one for parts.