• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 450C transmission issues

SChunter1991

I am the proud owner of a john deere 450CC Dozer sn #: 195007T with unknown hours and unsure of machine history. I have changed the transmission fluid(used tractor supply john deere equivalent), cleaned the screen and replaced the filter. I went through the HLR adjustment and found the pressure to be low. I removed the pressure control valve cap and found there were already shims stacked in side the cap. I was only able to add one shim and still get the threads to catch. After adding the shim the pressure was in range per the spec. I then went back through the HLR adjustment procedure. Initially, the machine would push and shift great. Both tracks would spin when pushing against an immovable object. However after running the machine for approximately 20 minutes it became weak and unable to push much of anything. The shift also became sluggish. I have used the machine several times and each time it performs the same. Strong initially, then progressively weaker. What else do I need to look at?

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Sounds like your pump may be getting worn to the point of bypassing, more so when the fluid gets warm. I've had three JD450's, a B, a C and now have an E...all three have the HLR transmission. I've had very little issues with any of the three, pressure's mostly and fixed with adjustment usually, as far as replacing any part of the HLR system I have not had to do that. There are some knowledgeable JD people on here that will have much more to add then I. Good luck, I hope it gets resolved quickly and reasonably.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF SChunter;)!

Did you re-check the pressure when it was acting up? If so, what is it? When you say you did the HLR adjustment, was that the adjustment in the bell housing under the rubber plug?

SChunter1991

Welcome to HEF SChunter;)!

Did you re-check the pressure when it was acting up? If so, what is it? When you say you did the HLR adjustment, was that the adjustment in the bell housing under the rubber plug?
Thank you for your reply! I rechecked the pressure after the machine ran a while and became weak. I don’t remember the exact number but I believe it was bouncing between 120-135. I followed the procedure in my technical manual to adjust the Hlr valve inside the bell housing.

One thing I forgot to add in the original post. I noticed fluid inside the bell housing when making the adjustment after fluid change. I believe I may have over filled the transmission as the level appeared high on the dipstick. I drained fluid out until it was at the proper level. I used a boroscope to inspect inside the housing and there appeared to be 2-3” of fluid in the bottom of the housing. I then dropped the skid plate and cleaned out the drain port at the bottom of the bell housing. After getting the fluid level right I haven’t noticed anymore accumulation of fluid in the bell housing.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
there appeared to be 2-3” of fluid in the bottom of the housing.
If there is that much oil in the bell housing, then the main drive clutch is most likely slipping. That clutch does not like oil. Draining the fluid out won't fix the issue. You probably have a seal leak at the transmission pump input shaft or the HLR shaft. There are 1 or 2 freeze plugs that sometimes rot out and leak. The leak is probably slow enough that it may take hours of running to accumulate enough for you to see it.

but I believe it was bouncing between 120-135
Was that pressure with the machine in neutral? If so, then there may be a transmission pump/suction line/transmission issue. If the pressure was while engaged, then it could be from the clutch slipping since that drives the transmission oil pump, or maybe the metal seal rings for the clutches are worn. Unfortunately, on those older units, there is no easy way to isolate the issue.

Is there a rebuild kit that can be purchased for the transmission?
Nope

SChunter1991

The technical manual refers to the transmission pump as the "h-l-r oil pump." I do not see that assembly anywhere in the parts manual. Can anyone provide the part number for the assembly or the individual components?

1709167591809.png