• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 410d reverser disengages as operating temp comes up.

jd2355

Hi, first post time poster here. I apologize for long post, just trying to give you backstory, hopefully I can explain my issue well enough.I bought a 410D last fall with a rusty cab. Found a different cab, and took on a good winter project changing cab. I finished it mid january, and used it in the snow, and woods and for the most part worked pretty good. We have been having warm weather here lately, and I am using it to clean ditches, and fixing wet holes in fields. The problem I am having is when i use it for a while, and it starts to warm up it goes into a neutral like the parking brake switch is turned on. If you cycle the parking brake switch, it will move normally for a while, then it gets to the point where it disengages as soon as you cycle switch. I manually disengaged the parking brake as it will not release the parking brake when it is acting up. The cab is off a 410D with a newer serial number, but all the wiring, and switches are off my old cab. I think the only thing I changed was to put in a electric temperature gauge in place of the idiot light. The vin on my hoe is 786624, the cab vin is in the 800000, but do not know exactly as the place I got it from would not give me the donor machine vin. Thank you for any help I can get

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF JD;)!

Does the red stop light and alarm come on when it happens?

jd2355

No, neither light, nor alarm comes on, but I am not sure this works properly since cab change. Thank you

jd2355

yes, both reverser, and hydraulic levels good. You can start it cold and it works normally for about a hour till it warms up, then starts acting up.

Finca SDR

I had a clutch cutout solenoid that would occasionally get stuck and need to be tapped with a hammer to reengage. Eventually replaced it. I think a fnr solenoid could be equally problematic.

My machine (a 310d) never had the parking brake hooked up since I got it, apparently that's the style around here because they get stuck easily. So I dunno about that part.

My reverser also got ground up along the way, that was a mess and a half. When the machine was cold it'd push pretty well but when the oil warmed up and got thinner it'd start squirting through and the discs would slip.

But what you have going on sounds electrical. I'd start checking the clutch cutout and fnr solenoids and see if they're working correctly, then I'd look at the parking brake system and see if it connects to one of the solenoids. Then I'd rip all those wires out.

jd2355

Thank you for the replies. I will clean, or replace reverser filter. Finca SDR, your issue sounds similar. Had a heavy equipment mechanic come look at it last night, we checking in the wires, and diodes of the clutch disconnect solenoid. Maybe look at the solenoid itself? I will check manuals to see where the solenoid is. Thank you

jd2355

I have had break downs with other things, so have not had a lot of time to trace this issue. I did get a new parking brake switch and that did not help.

Finca SDR

There's two solenoids that stick into your reverser. Clutch cutout and forward neutral reverse. I dunno for sure but your parking brake system could be hooked up to the clutch cutout. It sounds like that based on what you said before.

Like I said, the whole system was ripped out of mine when I got it, that appears to be the custom around here. Apparently no one wants to deal with an electronically controlled parking brake and it's associated complications. Hint hints. So all this is idle speculation on my part.

But, I would look for wires from my clutch solenoid to the parking brake, cut them and tie them together to keep current going, and see if that fixes anything. The solenoid is engaged when current is going through it.

Your problem sounds like when my clutch solenoid was faulty and getting stuck open. I'd have to smack the top with a wrench to get it to close again. Would always happen in the darndest places. Like teetering on the edge of a cliff or on a steep ass Gravel road.

fred rosenberg

Thank you for the replies. I will clean, or replace reverser filter. Finca SDR, your issue sounds similar. Had a heavy equipment mechanic come look at it last night, we checking in the wires, and diodes of the clutch disconnect solenoid. Maybe look at the solenoid itself? I will check manuals to see where the solenoid is. Thank you

That solenoid is on the reverser, on top. The small single one. The FNR solenoid(s) are right next to it, , appears to be the same solenoid, just two stack on top of each other. Sorry your swapping the parking brake switch did not work out, it appears that troubleshooting pic you posted for me is incorrect. (Error in the manual)
You can buy aftermarket solenoids on Amazon that look plug-and-play, just use the JD part number and they will pop up.

jd2355

Hi, just a update, and looking for more ideas. It has been working off, and on for a while, last week stopped moving completely. I made myself a a jumper wire with a plug that matches all the solenoids and I hook it up to my booster pack. When I put 12v to the parking brake solenoid it releases, but absolutely no engagement in forward, reverse. When I put 12v to the clutch cutout solenoid it will move perfectly, but only in reverse! I am heading out to recheck switches on, shifter, and loader. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thank you for your time

Finca SDR

My fnr solenoid on a case 580l stopped working the other day. It was a loose wire going to a relay. Lost a day and a half over that bs

jd2355

Hi everyone, its been a while but looks like I finally found the issues. The isssue when the machine was getting warmer appears to have been a clutch cut out solenoid. The other issue when it stopped moving completely was a pin that had pushed out in the main wire harness deutch (sp?) connector. Hopefully I am good for a while, just in time to plow snow. Thank you for all your help.