• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 410D Backhoe Loader will not drive: forward or reverse

mekanik

I have seen both the large and small blade type fuses where the fuse link broke
from the blade and was not conducting but looked okay. This is a common problem
with Freightliner M2's with the fuse box mounted on the driver's fender. Causes some
bizarre electrical problems.
I recently found a fuse in the after-treatment fuse box on an International that failed
the test light test but to the eye was fine. The fuse link had corroded away.

Katherine A DeHaven

MG2361 suggested to follow the wiring down to the solenoids. So after some figuring out where they are, I found some frayed disconnected wires. Both the clutch disconnect solenoid and the reverse from what i can tell.

The place of these solenoids are in a really tight spot, any suggestions on getting these out?

Or do i even need to get the solenoids out? can i somehow jam those wires back into the solenoids with some type of paste. Unfortunately they frayed right at the connection, nothing is sticking out of the solenoid wire area.
20220709_141902.jpg 20220709_141948.jpg

mekanik

I doubt they are repairable. The nut on the top comes off and they should pull off the stem.
It might take some force if the dirt and rust has built up.

hosspuller

Those clean red wires and yellow connector make me wonder if someone has rewired the solenoid and left the frayed wires loose. Does the nut magnetize when the solenoid is energized ? Might tell one something about its operation.

Katherine A DeHaven

Those clean red wires and yellow connector make me wonder if someone has rewired the solenoid and left the frayed wires loose. Does the nut magnetize when the solenoid is energized ? Might tell one something about its operation.
i had cleaned those wires, i was looking at that one first and I used some contact cleaner.

hosspuller

where do i buy these?
Slow down... Make sure you're not throwing parts at it.

But to answer your question ... Deere Construction dealer is the easiest and most expensive source of parts. Although any Deere dealer (lawn or agriculture) can order any Deere part. The construction dealer would have more backhoe parts in stock and more expertise in backhoe service than the lawn guys.

mekanik

I used to keep a variety of different size solenoids in my service truck for cranes and digger derricks and bucket trucks. I got mine from a hydraulic shop. They were quite inexpensive. compared to the factory ones.

Katherine A DeHaven

That solenoid in the second picture in post 24 does not appear to have any wires on it.
Is that correct?
Yea, you can see the solenoid in the first picture too. That one wire was already disconnected and then i reached down to feel for the other and it came right off, like it was hanging on by 1 strand of copper.

I have to get a few tools to be able to reach those bolts, they are in such a hard place to get to either from the top of the unit or the bottom.

mekanik

The coil in the solenoid is wound with one very fine copper wire both ends are connected to the red wires and molded in the plastic. From swinging and bouncing around over the years the red wire came loose in the plastic and finally failed. Hopefully you can zip tie them somewhere near the solenoid once you replace it.

Katherine A DeHaven

I managed to get the top bolt off.

Does the top half come off? I'm a little confused.

It looks like there is another HEX area at the base to take the entire thing out. Do i do that or does the top half some how pop off?

If so, any suggestions on getting it off? Its in a really tight spot and getting the rest of it out is going to be an ordeal.

mekanik

Normally you remove the nut and you can slide the solenoid coil off the stem. There is years of dirt and rust probably built up in between the coil and the stem. it might take some force. The stem will probably thread out and there will be a plunger in it and maybe a spring. You don't want to get dirt inside or loose any parts.

hosspuller

Try some penetrating oil where you took the nut off.

Can anybody confirm there's a coil & stem on this Deere 410D ? And the coil slides off ?

Katherine A DeHaven

This is what my manual shows.
Is this a common solenoid that will come apart as you described?
I'm not sure if i should be unscrewing this top half or trying to gently pry it off.

Attachments

• TM1513 John Deere solenoid.pdf
    106.4 KB · Views: 20

mekanik

I managed to get the top bolt off.

Does the top half come off? I'm a little confused.

It looks like there is another HEX area at the base to take the entire thing out. Do i do that or does the top half some how pop off?

If so, any suggestions on getting it off? Its in a really tight spot and getting the rest of it out is going to be an ordeal.

You removed the top bolt or nut?