• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 410B Buying Question

B Jones

Hello All,

New here and thanks for all the great posts. I've read a 100 threads on blowby and JD 410's. LOL.

I am looking at a 1983 John Deere 410B 2 wheel drive. I currently have Kubota l5450 with a frame mounted, but removable JD 7 backhoe. I have pulled a few stumps with it barely, but it is clearly not meant for that. Thus I am looking at upgrading before I break what I have. The current owner(a friend) has had it for 10 yrs for snow removal and a few stump pulls. It has had very little use the last 10 yrs with a total of 5k hours. Prior to that it was used for snow removal for a Nursing home. I tested the machine and it started right up from not being used in a month. He does however hit it with a squirt of ether at times to start. It is very tight at both ends with very little digging or banging around. The one issue he mentioned is the blow by that has been there since he's owned. It idles great, doesn't misfire or have a lack of power. It does go away a little after a using for a bit. I plan to have a my mechanic do a compression check but thought it would be good to post to this group for thoughts and experiences.

I plan on using it for stump and rock pulls on my property, not everyday use.

In my research, I understand some blow by is to be expected on older machines, but is this excessive?

The price is low from what I've seen in the market, 6k and he is just looking for it to go to a new home with someone to use it. My plan is to to use and potentially sell for similar price down the road or sell my JD 7 detachable backhoe.

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• IMG_3003.jpg
    IMG_3003.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3026.PNG
    IMG_3026.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 61

Delmer

yes, that looks excessive to me. But blowby is very subjective, a bigger issue is if it burns oil. it might be that it hasn't been worked hard enough, long enough. You could try changing the oil if it's due, and running the snot out of it. Like pushing heavy snow in third for a few hours, or climbing hills. Your friend obviously didn't work it hard, and I can see a nursing home not working it hard and long either.

The ether is a little worrying, just because a "little bit" can easily turn into too much if it's a spray can, if this is a built in ether start assist then it's much safer.

Overall, I'd say you're stealing it at that price, seems that would be a good price in before covid times, and now everything is crazy.

Welder Dave

I agree on making the engine work harder than it has been. The blowby will probably clear up some. You could also check the thermostat and make sure it is getting hot enough. Diesels need to be up to temperature to work properly. 6K for a 5000 hour lighter use backhoe is a STEAL! I think you will want to keep it and sell your small backhoe. There is no comparison between the 2. Lucky you finding a deal like that!

B Jones

Thanks for the insight fella's. I really appreciate it. Going by today for final lookover and purchase...

B Jones

Hey Guys,

Just updating here.. Got the deal done and machine home. Worked it over the weekend, pulled 3 large ash tree stumps, buried a handful of large rocks. Worked great! I am thrilled. Blow by seemed fairly consistent, leaving a little black spot below machine were I was working it after a while, but engine ran nice and smooth.

Ended up blowing a seal on the steering cylinder at end of weekend. Already off and being re-packed.

On the ether starting questions... It does have an ether assist start button in cab, but I have been going our every other day and it's been starting fine.

Just picked up all stuff for complete filters and fluids change this weekend!

Thanks again Boys..JD.jpg

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
B Jones like your JD,I ran a 710B for 12,000 hrs thing was a beast,good luck!

JD955SC

The machine hasn’t been abused, blowby is probably from too light of use (running it near low idle, not loading the engine up, probably a lot of idle time etc). Normally when you are talking old backhoes they are beat to hell and back with sheetmetal torn up and so on so your example is cherry in that department at least.

B Jones

Hello All... Just an update. Had all filter/oils changed by Heavy Equipt mechanic. Everything checked out/looked good. Been running fine, but still smoking with no change in engine performance.. Loving it... Thanks for the input all..

B Jones

Hi All, since the blow by might be here to stay, has anyone ever re-routed the blow by tube to the exhaust at all? Thanks.