• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 410

Kgh65

Have a 1979 jd 410 and the minute we start it antifreeze bubbles out of the radiator .Leaning towards head gasket problems .Any other ideas

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I would start there. A visual will tell if its a cracked head or possible block problem when you get it apart. Was it overheated lately?

Kgh65

Machine shop called today and said they found nothing wrong with the head . Any ideas on what to look for next .No oil in water or water in oil just pressure in cooling system

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Cylinder sleeves can get a corrosion hole if anti freeze doesn't get changed often enough. On compression stroke you get pressure with minimum oil contamination.

Tinkerer

Does the machine shop specialize in checking heads for defects and damage ? In my area there are machine shops that do head work, but I would not trust them to do a proper inspection on a head that came off of a machine with gas bubbling in the radiator.
I see from reading your posts you have worked on different machines. Just curious if you operate a repair business.

Blake13

Machine shop called today and said they found nothing wrong with the head . Any ideas on what to look for next .No oil in water or water in oil just pressure in cooling system

Any update on this? I realize this is an old thread, but I am going through the exact same thing with my '79 410. I haven't taken the head to a shop yet.

Thanks,
Blake

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Blake13;)! Should have started a new thread. Anyway, you could be looking at a head gasket, cracked head or holes in your cylinder liners. First thing I would do to give you a clue is drop the oil pan. Pressurize the cooling system and look up into the engine to see what cylinder the coolant is coming from. When you determine the cylinder move that piston to top dead center and see if the coolant is coming out of the liner (not a foolproof method as the liner could be cracked near the top). At least when you have to pull the head (and you will have to pull the head) you will know which cylinder to scrutinize.