• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 410 Backhoe Pressure setting question.

Pretty sure I've read every thread on this forum pertaining to the John Deere 410, chasing down hydraulic issues. Started with the obvious check the pick up screen, and change the filters no change loader still dead. PUlled the main pump rebuilt the destroking valve, new oring on the electric destroke solenoid, still nothing. Removed the electric destroke solenoid and installed the john deere plug eliminating the electric destroke solenoid out of the equation, still the same issue.

Broke down and bought some pressure gauges and adapters to do a pressure check found i had a 1000 psi standby pressure, and 0-25psi charge pressure 0 unless the engine was running wide open then i would get 25. Tested at the reverser test port got 150 psi.

Pulled the reverser control valve off disassembled it, cleaned it all out, all new gasket and springs, reinstalled adjust the shims to get the reverser pressure to 160, with new springs it now required 2 less shims currently has 4 installed. GO up to the mains pump pressures are still the same as before...

By now I'm getting rather frustrated and know far more about this hydraulic system than I ever wanted too. I find a thread that said to check the transmission filter bypass sure enough it was stuck still waiting for the new springs and poppet to arrive. Really hoping that was the issue.

If this was my issue I really hop it is and i go about setting my standby pressure to 2100-2200 psi while deadheading the main pump.

My current question is when i set the pressure control valve {steering priority valve} pressure, where to i attach my pressure gauge to get a reading will i remain connected at the pump output test port or somewhere else?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Herbert;)!

transmission filter bypass sure enough it was stuck

That would also cause low transmission pressure id stuck in the open position. Check the bypass and the surge relief on your hydraulic filter.

My current question is when i set the pressure control valve {steering priority valve} pressure, where to i attach my pressure gauge to get a reading will i remain connected at the pump output test port or somewhere else?

Let's worry about getting charge pressure and standby pressure to spec.

Welcome to HEF Herbert;)!

That would also cause low transmission pressure id stuck in the open position. Check the bypass and the surge relief on your hydraulic filter.

Let's worry about getting charge pressure and standby pressure to spec.
Hmm i was under the impression the hydraulic filter was moreso on the return side of the system, and if the pressure line from the hydraulic pump capped the relief valves in the hydraulic filters wouldnt have an effect.
We did have the loader valves and hydraulic filter housing all off cleaned and new orings installed. Everything moved freely thinking we should have replace all the springs.

I have all the springs and orings ordered for the hydraulic filters, and new filters ordered.

How hard should the transmission filter relief valve be to remove? It doesnt seem to want to move at all. Its a rather expensive part to damage removing it the wrong way.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If I recall correctly, they are supposed to slide right out. Don't know what to to tell you. I haven't had to pull a hyd/trans filter relief on one of those machines in 25+ years.