• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 350D Haul Truck. Only one wheel pulls the truck.

Nathan Craig

I run a 350D truck in a rock quarry, and here recently we discovered only one wheel pulls the whole time. What would cause this? It got hung up the other day and even locked in only 1 wheel spun.

SlatcoAu

If it is like my Volvo it will have a interaxle lock on the diff that is only enabled by the push button on the floor. Either you did not try that button (not sure if the Deere has that) or perhaps there is something broken in it causing it to not engage?
upload_2022-8-10_13-45-48.png

Reactions: DB2

Nathan Craig

If it is like my Volvo it will have a interaxle lock on the diff that is only enabled by the push button on the floor. Either you did not try that button (not sure if the Deere has that) or perhaps there is something broken in it causing it to not engage?
View attachment 265696
Must be something broke or not allowing it to engage. Inter axle lock switch is on the dash. Either something is messed up electrically or there’s bigger problems. Boss man noticed it too, trying to help him find out a little more about it.

Bigbert

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
The Deere 350D (or Bell B35D) got a 6 speed Allison inline powershift box. Attached a drop box with a diff with 33/67 torque distribution. 33% to front axle, 67 % mid and rear axle. Axles got - as far as I know - limited slip diffs, usually 25 % factor. So, there is torque on each wheel as long there is no wheel spinning freely.
The difflock in dropbox is pneumatically operated, should be possible during drive at low torque or at standstill. You will hear some mechanical noise when shifting. If only one wheel spinning difflock is definitely off.