• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 331 G Yanmar engine sucked in a load of mud and water.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello all

I have very little information about this machine.

I have been told the engine sucked in a load of mud and water so I assume it got submerged in an irrigation ditch and a hydraulic lock stooped the engine.

All of the information I have is there are many codes and the head doesn’t appear to be cracked.

Machine model 331G S/N 1T0331GMPGF303688.

Engine Yanmar model number 4TNV94FHT-NJSL s/n CH4M31H001188.

At this time the owner has ask me to see about finding a used or rebuilt engine.

The question I have is can any one tell just what the Model number means, I find engine that are close like 4TNV84FHT but have no idea what that means and have no idea what the letters after the – mean.

Hopefully there is a Yanmar expert lurking about on this forum that can give me some advises.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

ozarkag

If expense is more important than time, your best option will be tear down, evaluate, and rebuild your engine.

Yanmar 4TNV94 means 4 cylinder, 94 is cylinder diameter in mm. fht is emissions and build code,
AFAIK the tnv 94 is only in the JD newer large frame skid steers.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Thanks ozarkaG

What is your opinion about putting the smaller engine in this loader?

Phil

ozarkag

Unfortunately you will be limited to using the exact engine, due to computer controlled engine and machine

ozarkag

Have you dealt with them? Looks like a very good price for a common rail.
Hmm, on their website all yanmars, from a simple ol 3tne84 to this common rail are the same price. Something tells me that ain't so.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Thanks to all of you

I now have talked to the people doing the work.

The engine did not pass a compression test before the removed the cylinder head,

In the process of removing the cylinder head they discovered a hole in the induction system that allowed the engine to breath-unfiltered air.

So the problem with the engine it is wore out from the sand and dust that it has been ingesting for the last 6 months or so.

heymcall

I called them and they said they have sold the last one and when I ask if they would do ours if I sent it to them they refused.

ozarkag

Would you give me a little more information on you “common Rail” remark the picture in the ad does not appear to be a common rail engine like the Cummins 250 and the Detroit diesels.

Phil P

ozarkag

Good eye, the engine pictured is NOT the model listed. Looks like they use the same image on all the Yanmars listed.
All modern diesels(tier 4 final), in this horsepower range are common rail injection system. significantly more expensive to rebuild, in part because very limited aftermarket rebuild kits available. Also injectors are $600 to $1200 each. So times 4 on a 4 cyl.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Thanks all of you.

We are getting a short block from Japan.

Phil P Sr

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Cnote406

I have been ell with some kind of upper expiatory infection just now back to being able to accomplish much.

I will get you phone numbers and address.

Phil

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello all

I haven’t forgotten you I just would like to get this new engine before making any recommendation.

Phil

alandudley

Occupation
Engineer
Hello Phil,
Any updates? I have one that took a drink and has a bent rod so I am thinking long block at least. I hate to buy one without some recommendation due to it is very hard to remove and I don't want to do this again.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
I will check and see of that unit has arrived This repair is not in my shop it is in a dealers shop located 300 miles from me.

One note the company that owns this machine is owned by a fellow that previously was in a management position with the company that owns the Cat IT28F I put a factory reman engine in.

He was not very supportive of me sending oil sample to cat ever oil change.

I now receive from him oil samples to send to Cat for his equipment.

How smart you get when it's your money that gets spent when problems arrive that may have been prevented by a oil analyses.

LOL

alandudley

Occupation
Engineer
Hello Phil,
Just checking back in for any updates you may have. It seems those engines are not easily found without buying from JD @ $32k. I guess I can recon this one but would rather just purchase a long block if possible.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Here is the latest.

Due to the lengthily delay based on the latest production times and shipping time we have purchased an engine from JD.