• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 329D

77Ford

I was working my 329D serial #1T0329DKPA0191134 over the weekend, not particularity hard and received an error code for derating. I shut it down looked it over and fired it up and the code cleared from active. Current hours 3074.7 All stored codes are:

1/10 ECU 1569.31
1 2825.7
7 3074.7

2/10 ECU 94.18 Fuel pressure moderately low

3/10 ECU 110.15 Engine Coolant Slightly high

4/10 ECU 636.02 Engine position sensor erratic or bad data

5/10 ECU 636.10 Engine position sensor abnormal rate of change

6/10 ECU 110.16 Engine coolant temp moderately high

I forgot the other piece of paper with the last 3 codes only one of them was an ECU the others were on the float switch. I don't remember the engine position sensor codes ever being thrown but I'm assuming the engine derate at 2825.7 was for temperature and the most recent was the fuel pressure. I assume to start with a new fuel filter and then clear all the codes but are there other ideas? Should I be concerned about the Engine position errors? Is there is anything I should be doing preventative for that?

Any other thoughts?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I assume to start with a new fuel filter and then clear all the codes but are there other ideas? Should I be concerned about the Engine position errors?
Start with the filters. Clear the codes. You should be able to watch fuel pressure in the monitor. Run it hard. It should never drop below 23 psi (code threshold). In my experience, a good fuel system will never drop below 25-27 psi. If it hits 23 or close to it, then make sure there is no suction side restrictions. If that is OK, replace the fuel return check valve (tee fitting on the right rear of the engine - left side of the machine). That is what determines the fuel pressure.

Ignore the engine position codes. Slow cranking speed (think winter cold) can set those codes. There isn't a "D" series I work on that doesn't have those codes stored in them. We only worry about them if we have starting issues.

77Ford

That service mode menu is really helpful, I'm glad you mentioned that. My pressures were 27 at idle and 20 under load driving. I changed the filter and the numbers improved to 31 and 26. Now that I know how to access that I will check it from time to time.

Thanks again you're always super helpful with great information.