• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310D Backhoe want go in forward or reverse

MarkNC

Hello everyone. I am new to this and was wanting to see if anyone could help me or has had similar issues as I have. My dad had a John Deere 310D 4x4 backhoe with open cab. He recently passed away but before he did he said that the parking brake was locked on it. It will not move in forward or reverse and I don't hear anything when I put it in drive or reverse. The backhoe has been setting out in the weather now for 3 plus years. It has rained in the fuse box throughout this whole time. I can go and crank it up and everything works on it except going into gear. I don't know where to even begin to fix it. I did notice where the gear changer is the switch is gone. The John Deere part number for that switch is AT162180. I just no that my dad kept saying that the parking brake was locked on it. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do or what to check? I am new to working on a backhoe but any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Mark;)! After you check all your fuses and if you still have a problem, remove your floor plate that is front of your seat. Below there is a park brake actuator that looks like a truck air brake canister that sits on top of the right side of the transaxle. See if it tries to move. Sounds like your linkage may be rusted from sitting.

MarkNC

Hey mg2361. I don't mean to sound stupid but when I take the floor plate up do I put the tractor in forward or either reverse to see if it moves? How do I clean the fuses? Do you know where I can get a correct diagram of the what size fuses go in the fuse box? Sorry for all the questions but I am totally new to repairing a backhoe. Thanks for all of your help.

joeblow

Occupation
Retired
You can cage that brake by turning out that bolt on the back of the pot. I would be surprised if it still works as it usually breaks the brake band in the transaxle. Make sure you have oil in the shuttle transmission(dipstick under hood on the right side of machine looking forward) and the declutch button on the gearshift is not stuck on.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Make sure you have oil in the shuttle transmission(dipstick under hood on the right side of machine looking forward) and the declutch button on the gearshift is not stuck on.

Good call Joe, for some reason the clutch cutout button slipped my failing mind:eek:.

MarkNC, follow Joe's advice above. Also, when you release the park brake does the light go off?

How do I clean the fuses?

Get yourself some electronic contact cleaner from an auto parts store. Remove the fuses, taking note what was where amp wise (the cover for the fuses should have a key/legend on the inside face) and spray the block down and terminals in the block generously with the contact cleaner, then blow dry with compressed air.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Hey guys. I am missing the clutch cutout button on the backhoe. Could that be the problem?

I believe so. If my memory serves me correctly I do believe the clutch cutout solenoid on that machine has to be "energized" for machine to be driven and having no switch would place the solenoid in a de-energized state. Find the plug for that switch and run a jumper wire across the terminals then see if the machine moves.

Deon

MarkNC,
Don’t see any mention of it here. There are 2 clutch cutout switches. One on the 4 speed shifter and one on the loader control lever. Also the FNR lever on the right of you steering column acts as a clutch cutout switch when in Neutral position.
All 3 switches have to be simultaneously connected to have drive function.

MarkNC

I am missing the clutch cutout switch on the 4 speed shifter. So I need to find where the switch plugs into the wiring harness and unplug it and run a jumper wire across the terminals. Then put the backhoe in forward to see if it moves?

Katherine A DeHaven

I Just purchased a 1996 John Deere Backhoe Loader, used it once and now the machine will not go in forward or reverse. We checked the fuses and noticed a 30amp fuse was positioned where a 10am fuse should go and replaced it. Also, we just replaced all the relays. The backhoe starts up just fine and every is in working order, it will simply not go in forward or reverse. It is also not rolling forward or backword; could the parking brake be stuck?

JL Sargent

Hi Katherine, the parking brake on that machine is always on (spring applied) unless the machine builds enough hydraulic pressure to release it. There are some good troubleshooting tips in this thread. Have you tired those? Checking things like parking brake actuator and shuttle oil level are good ideas.