• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310C leaking coolant at water pump

LowPost42

Right up by the pulley crankshaft, I get leakage when filling the rad. It needs almost two gallons of coolant mix to start leaking.

Please tell me this is just a tired seal and not a blown bearing requiring a new pump.

(Just kidding. Please tell me the truth).

Delmer

Sounds like you know the truth. If you replace the seal, you replace the bearing at the same time. This would be a water pump to consider rebuilding, most are so cheap these days you just replace them, not JD. If there's a rebuild kit available, and you think you can handle the rebuild after a couple youtube videos, then try a rebuild.

LowPost42

Turns out rebuild kits don’t exist for 40 year old machines in Ontario. Just bearings and impellers.

I guess I’ll pull the machine apart some more and get a 100% positive ID on the leak source.

Still gotta find a place to do the bearing (if I’m that lucky).

56wrench

Individual parts will be available, maybe just not in complete ‘kit’ form. You will need the gasket, bearing assy and the seal kit. Go to JD online parts to look up the parts and see an exploded view. You can also give the part numbers to a JD ag dealer to check availability and price. They may have them in stock

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Turns out rebuild kits don’t exist for 40 year old machines in Ontario. Just bearings and impellers.
They haven't sold kits in years, just individual parts. Still much cheaper to have it rebuilt (parts $177 US, includes the impeller) vs a new one ($900 US). Those prices are for the water pump without AC.

joe--h

Take the seal to an appliance repair store, same type seal fits a lot of things.

Joe H

edgephoto

Maybe someone here will let you ship it to their house. Drive there and pick it up.

What state is closest to you?

crewchief888

Sometimes I wish I lived in America. It’s pushing a grand CAD to get it across the border and to my place.
no deere dealers in canada? tractors and forestry machines as well as utility and const dealers use the same water pump