• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

john deere 310c Borgwarner shuttle rebuild for beginners

geminijo

I just recently completed a shuttle rebuild on my john deere 310c and I thought I would post some information that I learned during this process.This post is for people like me who have no mechanical experience with this type of project but possess some basic tools and some mechanical aptitude and I know that I would have appreciated reading a post like this when I started to research the possibility of doing the work myself.
First of all you should have a service manual that shows disassembly/reassembly,torque and tolerance values. A shop manual for your specific model is highly recommended but if you don't want to buy one you can find a free pdf you can down load if you google Borgwarner shuttle transmission.You can also find a detailed exploded diagram with part #s on John Deere's web site under parts search.The Borgwarner pdf contains most of the information required to complete the rebuild but you would have to make sure that the torque and tolerance values match the shuttle in your hoe.
Next you should have a caliper for measuring clearance and tolerances and a clip lock pliers for removing the type of clips that don't have any holes drilled in them for a standard type of clip remover.Both items are available on e-bay for under $30.00 ea. You will also need some type of press (I used my bench vise and a C clamp) to install the forward clutch cylinder/piston in the ring gear and drivers to set the bearings,any local machine shop can make drivers for a reasonable price or you can get creative and figure out an alternative.If you replace the needle bearing in the planetary housing you will need a pilot bearing puller with a slide hammer(for removal)which you can usually rent from a local auto parts store. You will also need a torque wrench.
I had a cement floor to work on and I also have a rolling floor jack so I made a bracket that mounted on my jack and bolted to the shuttle(there are two bolt holes on the rear of the shuttle for that purpose) to aid in the removal and reinstall.I also removed the fill tube and clutch disconnect solenoid before I removed the shuttle to make it easier to drop.
If you're going to do a complete rebuild you will be replacing all the bearings and the front brass bushing.Make sure you measure and take notes on the depth to which they are mounted in their housing and which end(they are different) is up before you remove them.Also take note of where the seam of the brass bushing is located in relation to the front cover when you remove it.The brass bushing will have to be bored out to no more than .002" larger than the shaft.Bring the front cover,the shaft and the bushing to a local machine shop and make certain they bore it perpendicular to the front cover with the seam in the correct place.I brought mine to a local auto parts store that had a machine shop in the back and they honed the bushing but(unknown to me at the time) it was not done perpendicular to the cover.When I tried to reassemble the case the shaft would bind up.I thought it was something I had assembled incorrectly so I tore everything back down and spent several hours trying to figure out what I had done wrong.After many hours of stressful head scratching I figured it had to be the bushing.So I ordered a new bushing and brought it to a different shop that bored it properly and the cover slid together like a dang.
The trickiest part for me was inserting/aligning the shaft with the forward clutch hub into the ring gear with the forward clutch plates.I found that if you put the ring gear in a vise(I used a wood vise to prevent damage to the ring gear) up to the raised part on the ring gear and then wiggle and turn the shaft while putting slight downward pressure on the shaft it would drop slowly one ring at a time until it was seated.Do this before you install the bearing in the forward clutch cylinder to give you more wiggle room for the shaft.The rest of the reassembly is pretty straight forward.
When reinstalling the shuttle you have to have the splines and drive tangs line up properly with the torque converter.To make this easier, before I had completely reassembled the shuttle I temporarily mounted the new charge pump to the front cover of the shuttle and then inserted that into the torque converter and spun the shuttle cover with attached pump so the bolt holes lined up then carefully removed it.I took care not to spin the pump during the final reassembly When I reinstalled the shuttle it slid on the converter nicely.
With all the help and information you can get from forums like HEF this is a project that is definitely doable by the average guy and with a price of$2,500-$3,000 to have it done professionally it makes sense to at least try.

geminijo

Thanks JL.We all like to give a little back.I hope it helps someone avoid the problems I encountered.;)

Johnp19

Geminijo,

I just moved my 310D int the shop and hope to pull the reverser sometime in the next week. The shop manual calls for removing the torque converter with the reverser. It sounds like you left the torque converter attached to the engine. Is this correct? Is there anything you would do differently?

Thanks,

John

geminijo

I don't know the difference between my 310c and your 310d.With mine I did leave the TC attached to the motor ,and I had plenty of room to drop the reverser.I did remove the dip stick tube and the clutch disconnect solenoid to make removal easier.

Johnp19

Thanks. I think the C and D are pretty much the same when it comes to the Reverser. I'm headed out to get a transmission jack right now.

geminijo

John,Make sure you have your backhoe lifted high enough so you can roll the reverser, attached to the jack, out from underneath the hoe.

Johnp19

Got it out ok. Of course the one bolt behind the solenoids was the one that took 90% of the time. I'm going out this morning to open it up and see what it look inside before I order parts.

For anyone else with a 310D, I had to take the dipstick tube and solenoids off. There are different versions of the reverser with different solenoids so you may not have to take them off to get the bolt out.

Johnp19

I just opened up the reverser. The reverse clutch looked great, which worried me a bit since I lost reverse. However, when I pulled out the shaft from the forward gears about six pieces of the belville washer came out. Everything else look great. There was very little in the pan or filter. The belville washer has numerous cracks on the remaining unbroken section. I think I will just replace the washer as everything else looks good. The hoe only has about 400 hours on it an I only use it around home. I'm not looking forward to reinstalling it but I am glad that it appears to be a simple fix.

I'll try to post some pictures later on. I need to track down a belville washer. JD only list a rebuilt reverser in their online parts catalog.

geminijo

John, you may want to post your findings in another thread where there is more knowledgeable people that me.I'm not sure the belville spring is engaged when you are in reverse.You will find many posts where people have had broken belville springs but their reverse worked fine.Make sure you check the seals on the piston that engages the reverse disks/plates.

Johnp19

The washer is included with the seal kit, PN A502002. I just ordered one from reliable aftermarket parts. I found the washer itself on the case parts list, PN D50047, but I need some of the seals and gaskets. Below is a picture of the washer.310D Bellville Washer.jpg

Johnp19

John, you may want to post your findings in another thread where there is more knowledgeable people that me.I'm not sure the elville spring is engaged when you are in reverse.You will find many posts where people have had broken belville springs but their reverse worked fine.Make sure you check the seals on the piston that engages the reverse disks/plates.

Thanks. I plan on replacing many of the seals since I have it apart. Regarding failure modes, according to a tech who used to work on these "the forward clutch bellville washer was the biggest offender and when it failed you could lose fwd or it could lock in fwd and bind up when you try to reverse. 90 percent I'll bet are dropped for that reason." In my case it locked in forward and would bind if I selected reverse. With the shifter in neutral it was still in forward.

John

geminijo

Sound like you might get this thing repaired without bleeding too badly;)When it comes to reinstalling the shuttle it works well to fit the shuttle's front cover, with charge pump attached,to the TC and line up holes then be careful not to move the pump splines during the rest of the shuttle reassembly.That worked very well for me.

Johnp19

Sound like you might get this thing repaired without bleeding too badly;)When it comes to reinstalling the shuttle it works well to fit the shuttle's front cover, with charge pump attached,to the TC and line up holes then be careful not to move the pump splines during the rest of the shuttle reassembly.That worked very well for me.

Thanks. I think the reinstall may be the hardest part. I will be trying your method.

Johnp19

I am just finishing up putting the reverser back together. I purchased a seal kit, A502002, which included the bellville washer as well as several snap rings, in addition to numerous seals. I highly recommend that you get a copy of the service manual before rebuilding or repairing this transmission. There are several clearances that are specified in the manual that you would have no idea about without it. I needed some of the different thickness snap rings from the kit to obtain the correct tolerances.

I still want to replace all the hydraulic radiator hoses before I reinstall the reverser. I also have to reinstall the repaired hydraulic reservoir for which I have a new suction line and O-ring seal coming tomorrow. I welded the leak around the return fitting and repainted the tank.

Here is a photo of the forward clutch plates with the new bellville washer installed.
310D Trans rebuild Bellville.jpg
Manual names and numbers:

John Deere 300D 310D 315D Backhoe Loader Technical Manual PDF TM1496
John Deere 300D 310D 315D Backhoe Loaders Repair Technical Manual TM1497
I purchased these manuals from epcatalogs.com. They are PDF files. They cost me $40 each earlier this year and have been well worth the money.

I also found the Case online part site helpful. Case also sells some piece parts the Deere does not. https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr54945ar338501

Johnp19

Today I replaced all six hydraulic radiator hoses, 4 are 1/2" and two are 5/8". Getting the hydraulic tank back in was a lot easier than getting it out. I rounded the edges of the tank near the top ans the frame at the top radiused part. I think doing this help significantly. The adapter I made for the jack to hold the reverser (see photo) worked very well and made installation fairly easy. The few minutes it took to make the bracket out of some scrap was well worth it. I added fluid and found no leaks. I took the backhoe out and drove it around in forward and reverse and everything seems to be working as it should with no leaks.. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. 310D Trans Bracket.jpg

When I first took the reverser out I had not removed the boot cowl just in from of the steering wheel/firewall. I had this off for reassembly and it made getting the reverser in much easier. I would recommend taking it off before removing the reverser.

MarcNH

Occupation
Engineer
This was a great write-up. I just went and ordered the full service manual,which is probably the only one I did not have.

Late last year, I lost forward (though reverse was fine) and the fluid was half green and slimy. There were some clutch pieces as well. I replaced the filter and it was OK for a while.
I just ended up dropping the reverser pan again, as it all seemed to happen again. This time,the screen was rather-clogged, but far more pieces of clutch plate this time. The oil looked like crap, though there were not a lot of hours on it since changing, and looked like there was still green crap in there.

I am guessing that the reverser needs a rebuild now. I see complete kits that either have or not have a replacement charge pump. Do I likely need to buy the kit with the replacement pump? It is like $300+ more. And money is tighter.

The only "tool" I do not have is a press (noted in OP). Can I get away with a HF press (they are on sale) for this? I am assuming this is for the bearings.

This will be uncharted territory for me, but many of the ideas/pointers here ought to be quite helpful. What's the worst thing that can happen (LOL)?

Congrats on completing the whole rebuild on your own! I wasn't so adventurous and bought a rebuilt shuttle and TC for my 310C. All went together pretty well, but I do not get any rotation out of the reverser now. I know the unit did not take anywhere near the full 8.5quarts of fluid it is supposed to, only about 3 and it reads full on the dipstick. I'm 90% sure that the fluid is not getting pumped into the torque converter. Any ideas on why that would be blocked / airlocked or is there some "trick" not mentioned in the service manual. It only notes that the level will drop quick at startup and keep adding until it's at the full level.

I tried overfilling a bit, drained a bunch out but still nothing. Any ideas on how to fill the TC?
Thanks!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Bryan;)!

Does the oil level drop at all when you start it? If not, then I wonder if someone left the oil pickup screen off or, left the O-ring off the screen, when assembled.

If the level drops, then unplug the solenoid on the reverser and see if it will move then.

Welcome to HEF Bryan;)!

Does the oil level drop at all when you start it? If not, then I wonder if someone left the oil pickup screen off or, left the O-ring off the screen, when assembled.

If the level drops, then unplug the solenoid on the reverser and see if it will move then.
Thanks for the tips! Does not drop at all. I did't look at pickup (since it was a fresh rebuild) but I'll make that check. I'm familiar with those parts from trying to get the old reverser to work on the cheap!

I tried taking the solenoid off and pushing on the stub coming out in case the solenoid was bad (they switched types on me and sent me a used solenoid). The solenoid operates, but doesn't seem to have the spring strength to operate the shuttle (push in the button) but I could operate it manually and no effect, so the clutch cut out is not the immediate problem.

Am I correct that the pump in the reverser is driven directly by the engine through the torque converter (straight mechanical connection whereas the center shaft is driven through the hydraulic coupling action of the converter) and should be operating the pump even if the TC is "empty"?