• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310B Backhoe Boom Rod Removal

Scout_1969

I need to eventually reseal the backhoe boom cylinder. With the hose tower and the pocket on the boom,
I’m not sure what’s the best position for the boom before removal.
Is digging a hole to lower boom best? Is there another way?

Attachments

• 2B808D09-D0B7-4B78-9335-F3CC11C3A603.jpeg
    2B808D09-D0B7-4B78-9335-F3CC11C3A603.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49

Coytee

I've got a JCB so I don't recognize what's in the red circle.

That said, for me to take my boom cylinder off (the one that's INSIDE the boom), yes.... they evidently recommend digging a hole, planting the backhoe in it and then lifting it out vertically.

Fortunately for me, we've got a dry pond that's not too deep and has steep enough banks I was able to simply lay the hoe down the bank and that was enough angle to pull the cylinder out.

I had recently had shoulder surgery so was still recovering, not supposed to lift 10 pounds kind of thing.... and I need to remove this 14,000 pound (or so it felt) cylinder.

I got some ratchet straps, attached them to the loader bucket, draped them OVER the cab and on to the cylinder. Alternating straps, I "walked" the cylinder out of the pocket, used more straps to pull it towards the truck, and more straps to pull it into the truck.

Pretty much did all that with one arm. Wife's cousin came out to help.....stopped and dropped his jaw wondering how I got it done alone...

Put it back in same way but obviously in reverse.

I was glad I didn't have to dig a hole as I wouldn't have put a hole in the field next to the house which would have meant my tools would have been much further away. Having the dry pond was nice.

Scout_1969

I may have to move the backhoe to a slope not too far away from my ideal work area and if need be, dig a little ditch to get the boom deeper.

I looked at it a little closer and the red circled bracket that holds all the hoses, MIGHT(?) be able to be loosened and flex the hoses slightly. If the ditch/slope technique wasn’t an option, I probably could remove all the hoses and the red circled bracket.

I’m planning to use the ROPS canopy to come along the piston rod out. I intend to use an 8’ tall multi ladder as a hoist mount for a ratchet strap to hold up the rod and swing it to the side to carry in shed to reseal or maybe just reseal it while it’s suspended even.

Like the other cylinders last weekend, I’ll wrap the rod with pieces of scrap vinyl flooring, taped or zip tied on to protect the rod.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Been out of town.....

but I pulled the whole cylinder when I messed with mine. Laid the boom out horizontal and no issues getting it out.
Hope it worked out for you.

Scout_1969

Been out of town.....

but I pulled the whole cylinder when I messed with mine. Laid the boom out horizontal and no issues getting it out.
Hope it worked out for you.

Didn’t get to that one this weekend, between one very stubborn rod guide that I need a shop to remove, delayed parts and an unforeseen bushing I need I didn’t get to the boom cylinder, maybe this upcoming weekend.

I was hoping to avoid removing the pin in the boom and hoses, it might be the best way if I want to replace hoses too cause they look tough to get to.

Gonna look at that more closely this evening and get a plan.

Scout_1969

Swing the boom completely left or right and put down on the ground.
Unscrew the gland and pull the rod out.
There is no need to remove the entire cylinder unless you are taking it somewhere to be resealed.

That really looks like it might work, doesn’t seem to be a lot of clearance, but could squeak by.
Due to the weight of the whole assembly and not having a hoist, I’d like to avoid complete removal. I’m might be replacing the hoses to this cylinder too, so I need to look at those this evening and see how accessible they are too.
I’m working on gravel and and could borrow an engine hoist is the step ladder ‘hoist’ doesn’t work. Just have to round up some plywood.

Scout_1969

Thanks for all the information everyone!

Considering all this, like most of you, when there’s only one way to do something we go at it.
When there’s a few ways to accomplish something or it APPEARS to be anyway it makes things interesting to determine the path your going down.
Other considerations like an assistant, tool availability, weather for some folks, our time availablty of course and ‘collateral damage’ (tearing up other things or removing questionable items) really make decisions interesting.
We really gotta ‘keep our eye on the prize’!

T-town

Occupation
retired !
As I recall..... I had a hard line go out inside that boom... replaced with hoses
...and had the seals done while it ( cylinder) was out.

Scout_1969

As I recall..... I had a hard line go out inside that boom... replaced with hoses
...and had the seals done while it ( cylinder) was out.

You are correct mine has tubes and those hoses are accessible and in pretty good shape unlike four other hoses. So I may wait to replace those. I’ll probably leave the cylinder mounted and remove the piston rod

Last edited:

Tyler d4c

When we did ours we laid the boom down over the bank behind the shop and unbolted the block and it was just enough to weasel it out or dig a hole if a bank isn't available

Scout_1969

When we did ours we laid the boom down over the bank behind the shop and unbolted the block and it was just enough to weasel it out or dig a hole if a bank isn't available

Turned boom at a 90 degree angle and over a small bank worked fine. Definitely a two person job, had to loosen the hose tower/block and tie it back. Then thread it out through the hoses, over swing tower etc. Really had to make sure the cylinder rod was protected and 1x4's as a rest/slide. Also old cut inner tube and scrap vinyl flooring, zip tied around cylinder.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Glad to hear you got it out.... probably the largest one on the machine right?